SAS Institute

SAS Institute Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight

Jim Goodnight

Pros
  • Great work life balance but very challenging at the same time(in 79 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, great benefits including child care support(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move around in the company unless you are at HQ(in 6 reviews)

• Top R&D leadership is questionable due to perceived erratic behavior and decision making(in 9 reviews)

Ok company but limited potential to grow

Proswork/life balance, nice campus, flexible hours to the extent that your manager is ok with it. On-site services like gym, health-care, child-care, etc.

ConsCulture is on the stagnant side, limited potential to grow career wise. Strategy from upper-management sometimes doesn't seem to make any sense to front-line developers. Very little flexibility in implementing those strategy once the order has been given.

Great company, but be cautious of Politics

Account Executive (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat work life balance, many perks such as a corporate gym, health center, pharmacy, day care, several dining halls, and beautiful campus. Management provides coaching and is there to help you succeed. CEO really cares about making his employes feel happy at work.

ConsVery political. Not much room for advancement. Make sure to negotiate a solid salary upfront as promotions are very minimal if anything at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to advance go getters on your team and reward them.

Nice place if you aren't ambitious

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe Cary campus is posh; the onsite health care is a great benefit, great gym, nice walking trails. People there are generally nice. 401K contributions pretty solid. Has some first-rate technology and talent.

ConsSalary and bonuses are low compared to other technology employers. Promotions rare because of low turnover. Company structure tends to be static. Re-orgs are ineffective in making change. Some employees work tremendous hours and contribute a lot without much recognition, others are out by 5 pm every day on the nose. I'm fascinated to read many of the other reviews of this company. The very glowing reviews on this site I'd suggest that readers discount as those reflect a lucky few, while many of the others capture very well the malaise that I see there, and was the reason I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've worked with some of the BI / CRM / database competitors and it's easy to see why they may outperform and take market share from SAS -- competitors have more energetic roadmaps that don't rest on past success. Employee compensation is part of that and recognition of real contribution. I'd suggest finding a way to provide incentives perhaps with private stock for the employees. Re-evaluate products that aren't successful and make changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, satisfying, engaging job

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

Pros* Always a new challenge
    * Well-organized team to work with
    * Freedom to solve problems independently and in a team
    * I just love what I do as well as where I do it.
    * Good work/life balance
    * Excellent benefits
    * Great products that are not restricted to a single segment of the market (re: what recession?)
    * Our products actually help us do our daily jobs better

Cons* Some groups can have a silo mentality, but good managers can break through that
    * foul language can be rampant at times

Great place to work

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsDecent salary, really good benefits, good room for career change/advancement in most cases

ConsSlow to adopt new technologies and standards.

SAS is a great company to work

Research Statistician Developer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

Prosrelaxing working environment, great benefits including child care support

Conscareer path is not so clear, well, as I said, the working environment is relaxing

Great place to work for sure!

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsSolid product that always works! Understanding team members & managers.

ConsNot always the cheapest solution. Like any other firm you need to deal with unrealistic client expectations.

Great for work/life balance

ProsFlexible work hours, great onsite perks, very laid back. Work with a lot of extremely smart people. Great for kids, daycare, family activities, and summer camps.

ConsMixed messages from executive leadership, huge potential but no clear vision. Some people are just content, leads to lack of energy at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a better vision and sell it.

SAS employees are generally exceptional. Management is fairly myopic due to SAS' past success.

Pros- The employees, the employees, the employees.
    - An inspiring physical environment in which to work - beautiful and bucolic.
    - Inexpensive childcare for kids under five.
    - Stellar product and a generally good reputation with SAS' clients.

Cons- Being privately held, "shananigans" are permitted internally that negatively impact employees, at times.
    - Organization is HQ-centric. Remote employees, more than is typical, can suffer from a lack of support.

Great place to work, great technology, ignore the debbie downers

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, always provides training when I ask, superb benefits, beautiful campus (I'm a remote employee but going to campus is like a little vacation), emerging technologies have a solid client base to pitch into, unlike most startsups I've worked at, we aren't cash strapped which makes things nice!

ConsSome of the "old timer network" can be hard to break into .. but, I have not found them unwilling to listen, adapt and change when it is needed. It's a large company with lots of software, so things move a little slower. With the amount of niche players and SAAS companies popping up nightly, we will need to push product out faster. I'm new to SAS and say this as a new guy, you will find some people upset we are not leading the market in some areas, but those people simply struggle understanding how the market is growing and realizing you can't be #1 in everything, every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on roadmap .. continue to adapt to hosted solutions .. consider creating buzz quickly in emerging markets with targeted acquistions.

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!