SAS Institute

Updated Jul 9, 2014

SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight

Jim Goodnight

132 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good in some ways, not so great in others

Develop Software (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsComfortable working environment. Decent pace. Private offices. Stocked breakroom. Good people.

Cons1. The benefits are understood to be a part of your overall compensation. The problem is that you may not want or even be able to take advantage of many of them. If you don't have a child then subsidized child care is useless but the cost of it is still part of your compensation. Ditto gym,swimming pool,M&Ms, etc. So effectively you give up some compensation.
    2. Actual salaries are low compared to other software companies, partly because of #1.
    3. SAS does NOT compensate you for working hard. No matter how well I am reviewed my raises never reflect it. Last set of raises were around 1%.
    4. Advancement depends on who you know, not how well you perform. I see so many do-nothings with top-level titles here.
    5. None of us have any idea what is going to happen when Goodnight retires.
    6. Since the company is so comfortable very few leave. So long timers reach top positions. As such new ideas are extremely hard to implement because management is entrenched, closeminded, and unaware of concepts outside the company.

Top notch, professional environment.

Graduate Intern (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsI always feel like I'm surrounded by brilliant people, most of them willing and happy to help.

ConsFor me, a little less understanding of the expectations and outcomes of the position. I have been seeking out my own challenges. But this is an internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more specific in the definition of the role.

So far, the experience at SAS has been great!

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsSo far, the projects I've worked on have been meaningful; that is, they have had impacted the client in a way that makes the world a better place. (This, of course, is probably an aberration.) My group is full of great people who are very accessible and helpful and my manager is an enabler.

ConsI have not been here long enough to be able to comment much on this, but I've been told that it's difficult to push innovative ideas up the chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere appears to be no way to fast track innovative ideas. Implement a company-wide process that includes people with the reach and muscle to gather good ideas and implement them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience Working for SAS Institute

Computer Operations Specialist (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsFantastic work environment, lots of benefits for employees. Campus environment and opportunities to educate and advance your career are available. On site healthcare for employees, daycare and employee gym are among the best of the benefits. My salary was commensurate with my skills and promotions were attainable and included reasonable pay raises.

ConsThere were some moral problems in my department due to a couple of people who liked to gossip/cause trouble and one poor manager. This could happen anywhere, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoral problems are serious and should be taken seriously. Fire those who gossip and stir the pot.

Good place to work.

Principal Systems Programmer (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsThe SAS Campus in Cary, NC is beautiful. It's great that for the most part everyone gets their own office and is provided the tools to do their job. The benefits are great especially with things like the onside Health Care and recreational facilities.

ConsCompany has grown very quickly but in many ways is still run like it's a small company. The lack of staff turnover is great however that leads to change being difficult as there so many 'senior' people that have been there a long time (at least in the IT area).

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see better communication with regard to company strategy etc.

The Wrong Resources

Intern (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsThe people at SAS are amazing and make it a joy to work (in Cary). The campus is beautiful and many a stressful day was relieved by a walk through the woods. The food is excellent and has reduced prices. Good amenities on site (massage, facial, gym, etc.). Had a lot of fun at times working there. Felt really valued by my manager.

ConsOne word: Politics. There is something wrong with a company that keeps someone employed because they're a friend of senior management but they do no actual real work. It makes the people who do their work and excel lose motivation and feel like what's the point? Upper management is stuck in some kind of caste system where good ideas from younger workers are ignored. Promises about promotions aren't kept. There is a feeling that SAS is lagging behind in terms of new technology. Resources are wasted. Too many unnecessary parties.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to a clear path, stop moving in cliques around campus.

Chaos reigns

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsNice campus and benefits. Private offices.

ConsR&D lacks a leader that is committed to all R&D employees and has a plan to transition the work focus in a sane and rational manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the head of R&D.

Great place to work

R&D Director (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsCompany truly cares about its employees. A lot of very talented people to work with, If you want to make a difference you can. You can make opportunities for yourself if you have a good idea.

ConsR&D executive management has good ideas, but execution has been comical lately. Compensation is just average. With a lot of tech companies in the area hiring heavily, may start to lose key people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the hard decisions so that people can start moving forward again. We've been in a holding pattern for the last 6 months.

Terrific place to work. Managed like someone wants you to work there.

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsGreat work life balance but very challenging at the same time. While the benefits are second to none, the real fun of working at SAS is the problems we try to solve. Very advanced statistical procedures shed light on real world problems.

ConsIn house training is about all that is available. Tuition reimbursement would be nice. Advancement is somewhat limited by a relatively flat organizational structure so if you want to manage groups, it might not be the best for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSteady as she goes..

Sas does a great job at making every employee feel like they are valued in the workplace.

User Experience Design Specialist (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsOverall, as an intern, I am treated like a valuable employee, and that is simply incredible. This is a great place to start my career.

ConsOverall, there are far more developers than designers of software and therefore, the pace of production does not go as smoothly as it could if there was a more even ratio.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a fantastic job!

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAS Institute reviews and ratings in Raleigh-Durham, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight. All 132 reviews posted anonymously by SAS Institute employees.