SAS Institute

www.sas.com
Employer Engaged

166 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great place to work, great people

I have been working at SAS Institute

Pros

Supports people who take initiative to be cutting edge. Trusts people to do the right thing for customers and the business. The market is competitive and work is demanding but the business is flexible about work/life balance. The people are friendly and supportive. Managers and co-workers genuinely care about each other. Emerging leaders program identifies and grooms up-and-coming talent. Invests heavily in R&D.

Cons

It's been a fairly flat organization with low turnover so advancement can be slow, but with retirements increasing more opportunities are opening up.

Keep your focus on innovation.

Title

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, Job variety

Cons

Stagnant, no other cons now

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great work/life balance.

Cons

Management is not qualified and needs more training on how to manage. Salaries tend to be below the market average.

Learn how to provide personal growth opportunities to your employees.

My internship was extremely satisfying, I really enjoyed it, and it helped me decide my future career path.

Former Intern - Technical Student A in Cary, NC
    Former Intern - Technical Student A in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

I had flexible hours and good pay. My manager gave me a lot of responsibility for projects. Work-life balance was great, and I met a lot of new friends through the intership program. The program was very structured and I received a lot of support, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

I wasn't able to work on some of the projects because I didn't have experience working with the necessary tools, and the various trainings to become adept at the tools were long.

Wonderful

Former Employee - Developer Tester IV in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Developer Tester IV in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life balance and company values

Cons

Working is wonderful if your manager is smarter than you are. The one who do not understand what you are doing then they think by macro management they will know which is aweful

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly work environment with excellent benefits. SAS is a place that promotes healthy work-life balance and actually mean it. Facilities such as on-site healthcare and childcare makes life convenient for employees at Cary Head Quarters.

Cons

Difficult to say many bad things about the company. One I have heard from co-workers is that a lot of benefits and conveniences available to employees in Cary are not there for regional or home-office employees.

Good benefits with opportunities for career advancement.

Excellent company, hope they keep it up!

Former Intern - Intern in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding appreciation for work-life balance and the best environment I've had the pleasure of working in. Excellent coworkers, awesome cafeteria, and calm and productive workplace. Keeping in mind the cons, I would be thrilled with an opportunity to work here someday.

Cons

I worry about retainment of young people and maintaining long-term competitiveness. I think SAS is a wonderful company, but I worry that a lot of people at the top of the company aren't comfortable with change, and that it is especially problematic at a tech company...

As much as it is important to retain long-term, loyal employees, it is also important to try new ways of doing things to be able to adapt in an evolving marketplace.

Best Summer Job Ever

Former Intern - Intern in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and legendary amenities. I was one happy intern. I worked hard, ate well, exercised often, and learned a lot

Cons

Very "deliberate" management process. My boss said it took him a year to get traction on any of his projects, which doesn't leave much hope for a summer intern to see any substantial fruit of their labors.

Keep up your legendary dedication to your employees. Pick up the pace of innovation.

Good place to work. A lot of politics and nitpicking since it's a private company. LOTS of nepotism.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People have fun here.. not much dead weight. Get to try new technologies.

Cons

Constant visible infighting from senior leadership.

Reward those who help.

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall, this is a great company to work for and most of the people you work with are more than co-workers. Many of them become lifelong friends.

Cons

If you are a young female planning to have a baby or have young children already AND if you are fortunate enough to secure employment here, you will have it made in every sense of the word! I worked here and was successful for over 15 years. I did not have children nor was I planning to start a family any time soon. Nearly 100% of any time when "extra" time away from my home life was required or even working late regardless of the amount of time needed to meet a deadline or just get work done, a woman with children was ALWAYS given preference as well as excused in order to go to their child's dance recital, parent/teacher conference, pick up a sick child, or simply leave in order to pick up their child from day care. Don't get me wrong, all of these things are very important and must be done. However, people like me were ALWAYS taken fro granted and imposed upon by this particular group. Comments were constantly made like He will not mind working late because there is no one waiting on him or depending on him at home!" Or, one of the most aggravating of all, "I can't travel overnight for that event let alone for more than one night a week. He can (or should) go and he will not mind traveling over the weekend in order to get to the event location before Monday morning." The regular occurrence of situations like this week after week after week, quickly made this a bad and blatantly discriminating place to work!

Don't just talk the talk but instead, walk the walk!