SAS Institute

SAS Institute Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight

Jim Goodnight

Pros
  • Great work life balance but very challenging at the same time(in 79 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, great benefits including child care support(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move around in the company unless you are at HQ(in 6 reviews)

• Top R&D leadership is questionable due to perceived erratic behavior and decision making(in 9 reviews)

Sales

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsBest company to work for. Great atmosphere, benefits, and people.

ConsMost all jobs require years of experience, making it hard to get in. But for justified reasons

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Top notch, professional environment.

Graduate Intern (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsI always feel like I'm surrounded by brilliant people, most of them willing and happy to help.

ConsFor me, a little less understanding of the expectations and outcomes of the position. I have been seeking out my own challenges. But this is an internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more specific in the definition of the role.

Great people, great products

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to learn how leading companies are adopting analytics to transform their own companies.

ConsSlower moving than some competitors in key markets they are targeting.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to work for.

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, great salary, great product, and excellent customers. Customers and prospects want to hear about how SAS can help improve their business.

ConsThe culture is too relax. They want results but they don't work for it. It takes for ever to get something done. Sales cycle is very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should get up their chair and work.

Great employees

ProsGreat atmosphere for employee calibration. Very good benefits with on-site healthcare, gym, on-site daycare.

ConsDevoid of diversity in upper management. This is perpetuated by HR, which has no minorities on its management team. Opportunity for advancement very limited.

So far, the experience at SAS has been great!

Consultant (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsSo far, the projects I've worked on have been meaningful; that is, they have had impacted the client in a way that makes the world a better place. (This, of course, is probably an aberration.) My group is full of great people who are very accessible and helpful and my manager is an enabler.

ConsI have not been here long enough to be able to comment much on this, but I've been told that it's difficult to push innovative ideas up the chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere appears to be no way to fast track innovative ideas. Implement a company-wide process that includes people with the reach and muscle to gather good ideas and implement them.

Personality driven organization where Sales reigns supreme

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, flexible work schedule, pampered on work travel, easy access to free SAS training to keep developing your skills

ConsPersonality-driven organization, employees that don't work in Cary don't have access to all the benefits that get SAS ranked so highly (free on site medical, on site daycare, etc), highly stove piped organization that creates an unhealthy sense of security (if I don't work for you, I can casually ignore what you asked me to do), people in Cary work at a slower pace than the rest of society (it can be hard to get people down there to answer email or phone calls... I can only assume they are too busy playing hacky sack on campus), reviews do not happen by default which means you can go years without a raise (It is well-known that salaries stagnate, but people accept it because of the benefits and slow pace)

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the organization to create a more collaborative environment across the company. Set expectations and hold people accountable for not meeting them. Perform reviews every year as a means to keep performance at a higher level

Learned allot about SAS programming and delivery capabilities

ProsHeard was an excellent firm for a MSAS statistician to work

ConsNot near Home base, training was limited

Very good in some ways, not so great in others

Develop Software (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsComfortable working environment. Decent pace. Private offices. Stocked breakroom. Good people.

Cons1. The benefits are understood to be a part of your overall compensation. The problem is that you may not want or even be able to take advantage of many of them. If you don't have a child then subsidized child care is useless but the cost of it is still part of your compensation. Ditto gym,swimming pool,M&Ms, etc. So effectively you give up some compensation.
    2. Actual salaries are low compared to other software companies, partly because of #1.
    3. SAS does NOT compensate you for working hard. No matter how well I am reviewed my raises never reflect it. Last set of raises were around 1%.
    4. Advancement depends on who you know, not how well you perform. I see so many do-nothings with top-level titles here.
    5. None of us have any idea what is going to happen when Goodnight retires.
    6. Since the company is so comfortable very few leave. So long timers reach top positions. As such new ideas are extremely hard to implement because management is entrenched, closeminded, and unaware of concepts outside the company.

Great Experience Working for SAS Institute

Computer Operations Specialist (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsFantastic work environment, lots of benefits for employees. Campus environment and opportunities to educate and advance your career are available. On site healthcare for employees, daycare and employee gym are among the best of the benefits. My salary was commensurate with my skills and promotions were attainable and included reasonable pay raises.

ConsThere were some moral problems in my department due to a couple of people who liked to gossip/cause trouble and one poor manager. This could happen anywhere, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoral problems are serious and should be taken seriously. Fire those who gossip and stir the pot.

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!