SAS Institute Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
4.0

SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight
Jim Goodnight

Pros
  • Great work life balance but very challenging at the same time (in 79 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, great benefits including child care support (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move around in the company unless you are at HQ (in 6 reviews)

• Top R&D leadership is questionable due to perceived erratic behavior and decision making (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Legacy Company Treats Employees Fair and Customers not so Fair

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

SAS is famous for the perks it offers employee--its main claim to fame. Its software is (and becoming less so) indispensable to corporations worldwide. Rather than taking all of the profits, Goodnight has invested large sums of money back into the company which is why it has $3.1 Billion in sales in 2013. Until 2001/2002, new ideas were embraced. This is a company that has an enormous talent pool. Overall good for employees and not so good if you are a customer sustaining the cash flows into the company.

Cons

The rivers of cash and enormous talent pool are not that well harnessed in today's competitive environment. Goodnight has no shareholders or board of directors to help guide the company. His decision making style is opaque, leaving many to divine his intent. Executive management are mainly long-tenured employees whose outside perspective has dimmed over time. Only one corporate officer from a Fortune 500 company has held a position in the company and that was less than 2 years. Read as this is a very insular company. Customers are to be milked and alliance partners are to be used as stop-gaps until R&D can build a competing product.

You have heard all of this before: Rationalize the product line. Standardize pricing worldwide to eliminate pricing variation that happens to be an accidents of geography. Bring outside R&D leadership into the company and give him/her space and an upside if they meet critical business objectives. Have one head of worldwide sales. Keeping groups off-kilter by pitting one against the other is old-school management.

Reduce hardware margin building to attract more customers toward an off-premise software model (because it will be cheaper support costs in the longer-term). Level with employees by sharing more information on business costs and conditions. A bar chart comparing this year sales with last years is condescending even if you are a privately held entity. Induce the 25+ year cohort of employees to move on making room for the talent below.

To develop new business, develop a back-end server that can be OEM'd to other firms that surface analytic math to other software (including competitors). Embrace the R user community. They have the SAS user community out-numbered with demographic trends not so favorable to SAS.

A good place to intern at

Former Employee - Technical Intern  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The campus is huge, and the food is incredible. You get to see a very healthy work culture that focus on the employees' happiness. There is a fitness center and health center for employees as well as day care. Product is grown right on campus, making the meals very cheap. Nobody wants to leave SAS.

Cons

There is nothing much to complain about, but as an intern, I felt like I was underpaid compared to my peers interning at other companies.

Technical Student Intern

Current Employee - Technical Student  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Student in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful benefits, even for a lowly student intern! I can really tell that everyone I've met at SAS enjoy what they do. I worked in a small team and everyone was kind and understanding. Even as an intern, I felt appreciated and welcomed.
    Also, I got a strong feeling that this company is ideal for people with families, especially small children since there is a daycare on site!

Cons

Marketing and market research doesn't seem to be a strong point for this company. Given my short duration of time there, I can't say for sure, but the marketing team that I worked with struggled with communication and I've heard that the market research department is rather underfunded and understaffed. For a company that is the largest private corporation in the US, it is rather unknown to the public. When I tell people I interned at SAS, for most people (without comp/stat background) the name did not ring a bell...
    Overall,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, but hard to grow

I have been working at SAS Institute as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

SAS has legendary benefits, excellent amenities, and a fantastic working environment. If you find a role doing something you like, you cannot beat the workplace environment.

Cons

Not a lot of churn. People are content and perhaps a little complacent. Opportunities for learning are there, but the general tempo is slow, and opportunities for career advancement are few.

Mixed Feelings

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SAS can be great for some, the benefits are great and they have a top-notch fitness program. On-site health care is convenient for immediate illnesses.

Cons

The company has a lot of under-employment and complacency. There is also a lot of nepotist. The biggest issue is that there lack of mobility/advancement.

time to really innovate! the focus on sales and legacy systems is holding the company back.

Not a Sales Driven Company

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at SAS Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits
    Offices - company culture that most individuals get their own office
    Cary extras are unsurpassed - gym, massages, barber, medical facilities
    Great if you need child care for 3 children or less, even better off campus in a regional office - on campus there is a waiting list

Cons

Processes are set up based on a small company- not driven to accomplish sales in a timely manner. No documented process, seems like everyone assumes all workers have been there 10 years and just "know how things work"
    Technology is focused on addressing the needs of a few key customers who seem to keep the company in business.
    Spaghetti code is the least of the challenges
    Cary let's the field over sell and under deliver because there is no honest discussion about gaps in capability or performance
    No real bench-marking- wonder why a company of this size and maturity doesn't provide this type of data?
    Salaries are not competitive, even for NC, forget anywhere else
    Federal leadership is exceedingly poor and there is no "leadership" involved - no strategy- only politics and personalities
    Very poor treatment of women - many inappropriate relationships between high level managers / executives and other staff across the company- really bad in Cary.

Technology, technology, technology - of this decade please
    Focus on good management practices not old boy politics and behavior
    Work on diversity! Most Caucasian work force ever!
    Remember that just because the company has a big name in NC, that the majority of your customers don't live there

Great place to work

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance is taken seriously. Great management, smart colleagues. I don't think there's another software company that compares to this one.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Excellent, employee oriented company with good benefits

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SAS Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are excellent. In the Fortune Best Companies to work for every year in the top 10

Cons

Sales management system is a bit antiquated and they need more of a global product mix

Good place

Current Employee - Statistical Consultant
    Current Employee - Statistical Consultant

I have been working at SAS Institute as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Nice environment and benefit. Flexible work time.

Cons

Lack of passion, lack of chance for promotion

Great Company

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

benefits, work culture, opportunities, work-life balance

Cons

there are not that many

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!