SAS Institute

www.sas.com

SAS Institute Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Great work life balance but very challenging at the same time (in 79 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, great benefits including child care support (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move around in the company unless you are at HQ (in 6 reviews)

• Top R&D leadership is questionable due to perceived erratic behavior and decision making (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

SAS is a great place to work. It really is.

Systems Developer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsGreat support of employees' needs for flexibility in order to maintain a balanced life. Fosters great loyalty from employees.

ConsThere are entrenched and senseless politics because of the long term tenure of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse people flexibly to succeed in developing great software instead of preserving your own head count.

How can you not love working at SAS?

Marketing Hack (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsIncredible benefits, a spectacular product, smart, dedicated employees, great management, terrific customers. What's there not like about working at SAS? I think management is most interested in finding ways to improve the environment and keep the work rewarding and challenging.

ConsI am a bit perplexed by the negative reviews. Is SAS perfect? Um, no ... but it's the closest to perfect I've ever found. The only drawback I see is the opportunity for advancement and I think that's primarily due to the fact that people simply don't leave the company and as a result, openings are rare. I certainly don't think positions should be created simply to allow someone advancement, thereby creating another level of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should continue to communicate often with employees and should continue to look for ways to reward and recognize employees.

Rate SAS Institute

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsPositive, can-do atmosphere; very capable and pleasant co-workers; challenging and interesting technology; understanding bosses; onsite health care, child care, and fitness center/gym/pool; generous days off, overall compensation (including benefits), and profit sharing; green-aware; supportive of the local community (assists schools, literacy programs, university programs, hosts political debates, NPR fundraising, food drives, etc); also supportive of broader events, such as sending money/resources after Hurricane Katrina

By far this is the best company I've ever worked for, and I'm 60 years old!

ConsCan be hard to be promoted, primarily because the pool of workers is so qualified, the competition is stiff

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SAS Institute as a place to work

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsExcellent company, excellent products and a solid organization
    Great employee benefits if you work in Cary.

ConsConstantly changing org structure in sales

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit that you have lay offs.

Great place to work as long as things are going well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cary, NC

Pros- Great work/life balance
    - Great professional development
    - Interesting projects

Cons- Very difficult to get jobs...even when already employed there
    - Little to no support when company is forced to downsize

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job at "in placement"

Good job, could be better

Pre-Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFlexible time, m&m's for all

ConsThe benefits and perks are mostly for the employees at the HQ in Cary, NC, all the other offices are just like any other regular office

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your all other offices, not only the HQ

Don't waste your time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsIf you can find your way to shuck and jive like everyone else, go for it.
    The bet place in the world to have a job, while you work on your other job.

ConsLies, #@*! lies and statistics. No leadership, just sheep. A billion dollar lifestyle business.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnything said on this topic is a complete waste of time.
    If you know the story of the emperors new clothing, you know the story of how sas operates.

Great place to work if you are in Cary; otherwise career options are limited.

Pre-Sales Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsHealth Benefits, Child Care reimbursement. Good work, life balance. Not too many micromanaging managers.

ConsVery cliquish organization. Very few minorities, Especially in management. People are promoted based upon longevity or who's clique their in and not based upon merit. New ideas are sometimes stifled.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to recruit younger, more energetic sales reps and mangers that have new ideas. Afraid that SAS is quickly becoming a dinosaur?

20+ Yr SAS Vet.

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsOne main owner - one main boss - everyone works for the same boss at the end of the day

ConsOne main owner - everyone works for the same boss at the end of the day - and the direction can change based on a phone call from him

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of us work 50-60 hours a week. When we sell please sell to the employees who have worked hard and been loyal over the years.

no room for growth or development

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsIf you have children you dont ever have to put in a full work week. Great Medical coverage. Produces a product that works - a corportate culture that doesnt

ConsCronyism and personal political weigh significantly regarding professional movement within the sales organization. There are no mentor ship or professional skills training available to any inside sales employees. Zero incentive, monetary or otherwise, to achieve over %100 of quota.

SAS has turned over upper management ( head of sales ) 3 times in four years. The inside sales group at SAS are only the only sales related employees to not receive an office.

Advice to Senior ManagementAggressively engage in training sales staff, align compensation with the rest of the industry to attract top sales talent. Promotions based on merit-career growth based on performance and success..

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!