SAS Institute Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

4.0

SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight
Jim Goodnight

Pros
  • Great work life balance but very challenging at the same time (in 79 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, great benefits including child care support (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move around in the company unless you are at HQ (in 6 reviews)

• Top R&D leadership is questionable due to perceived erratic behavior and decision making (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Top notch, professional environment.

Current Employee - Graduate Intern  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Intern in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I always feel like I'm surrounded by brilliant people, most of them willing and happy to help.

Cons

For me, a little less understanding of the expectations and outcomes of the position. I have been seeking out my own challenges. But this is an internship.

Be a little more specific in the definition of the role.

Great employees

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great atmosphere for employee calibration. Very good benefits with on-site healthcare, gym, on-site daycare.

Cons

Devoid of diversity in upper management. This is perpetuated by HR, which has no minorities on its management team. Opportunity for advancement very limited.

Personality driven organization where Sales reigns supreme

I worked at SAS Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work schedule, pampered on work travel, easy access to free SAS training to keep developing your skills

Cons

Personality-driven organization, employees that don't work in Cary don't have access to all the benefits that get SAS ranked so highly (free on site medical, on site daycare, etc), highly stove piped organization that creates an unhealthy sense of security (if I don't work for you, I can casually ignore what you asked me to do), people in Cary work at a slower pace than the rest of society (it can be hard to get people down there to answer email or phone calls... I can only assume they are too busy playing hacky sack on campus), reviews do not happen by default which means you can go years without a raise (It is well-known that salaries stagnate, but people accept it because of the benefits and slow pace)

Restructure the organization to create a more collaborative environment across the company. Set expectations and hold people accountable for not meeting them. Perform reviews every year as a means to keep performance at a higher level

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good in some ways, not so great in others

Current Employee - Develop Software  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Develop Software in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Comfortable working environment. Decent pace. Private offices. Stocked breakroom. Good people.

Cons

1. The benefits are understood to be a part of your overall compensation. The problem is that you may not want or even be able to take advantage of many of them. If you don't have a child then subsidized child care is useless but the cost of it is still part of your compensation. Ditto gym,swimming pool,M&Ms, etc. So effectively you give up some compensation.
    2. Actual salaries are low compared to other software companies, partly because of #1.
    3. SAS does NOT compensate you for working hard. No matter how well I am reviewed my raises never reflect it. Last set of raises were around 1%.
    4. Advancement depends on who you know, not how well you perform. I see so many do-nothings with top-level titles here.
    5. None of us have any idea what is going to happen when Goodnight retires.
    6. Since the company is so comfortable very few leave. So long timers reach top positions. As such new ideas are extremely hard to implement because management is entrenched, closeminded, and unaware of concepts outside the company.

Learned allot about SAS programming and delivery capabilities

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Heard was an excellent firm for a MSAS statistician to work

Cons

Not near Home base, training was limited

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at SAS Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, great salary, great product, and excellent customers. Customers and prospects want to hear about how SAS can help improve their business.

Cons

The culture is too relax. They want results but they don't work for it. It takes for ever to get something done. Sales cycle is very long.

They should get up their chair and work.

So far, the experience at SAS has been great!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

So far, the projects I've worked on have been meaningful; that is, they have had impacted the client in a way that makes the world a better place. (This, of course, is probably an aberration.) My group is full of great people who are very accessible and helpful and my manager is an enabler.

Cons

I have not been here long enough to be able to comment much on this, but I've been told that it's difficult to push innovative ideas up the chain.

There appears to be no way to fast track innovative ideas. Implement a company-wide process that includes people with the reach and muscle to gather good ideas and implement them.

Great Experience Working for SAS Institute

Former Employee - Computer Operations Specialist  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Computer Operations Specialist in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic work environment, lots of benefits for employees. Campus environment and opportunities to educate and advance your career are available. On site healthcare for employees, daycare and employee gym are among the best of the benefits. My salary was commensurate with my skills and promotions were attainable and included reasonable pay raises.

Cons

There were some moral problems in my department due to a couple of people who liked to gossip/cause trouble and one poor manager. This could happen anywhere, though.

Moral problems are serious and should be taken seriously. Fire those who gossip and stir the pot.

Great place to work

Current Employee - R&D Director  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - R&D Director in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company truly cares about its employees. A lot of very talented people to work with, If you want to make a difference you can. You can make opportunities for yourself if you have a good idea.

Cons

R&D executive management has good ideas, but execution has been comical lately. Compensation is just average. With a lot of tech companies in the area hiring heavily, may start to lose key people.

Make the hard decisions so that people can start moving forward again. We've been in a holding pattern for the last 6 months.

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Principal Systems Programmer  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Programmer in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The SAS Campus in Cary, NC is beautiful. It's great that for the most part everyone gets their own office and is provided the tools to do their job. The benefits are great especially with things like the onside Health Care and recreational facilities.

Cons

Company has grown very quickly but in many ways is still run like it's a small company. The lack of staff turnover is great however that leads to change being difficult as there so many 'senior' people that have been there a long time (at least in the IT area).

I would like to see better communication with regard to company strategy etc.

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!