SAS Institute

Updated December 16, 2014
3.9

SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight
Jim Goodnight

Pros
  • SAS is a place that promotes healthy work-life balance and actually mean it (in 89 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, great benefits including child care support (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • R&D executive management has good ideas, but execution has been comical lately (in 12 reviews)

• Hard to move around in the company unless you are at HQ (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The company understands and supports the necessary work-life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable company. Profitable every year. Well compensated.

Cons

Recent issues in upper management causing chaos across SAS. Very little opportunity for advancement. Employees from regional offices don't have the same perks nor the same respect as those at corporate.

It is a nice place to work

I have been working at SAS Institute

Pros

People are really nice and they would like to offer you a lot of help. It also has great campus and North Carolina is beautiful. You can have a nice balance of life and work here. You can have a food life in Cary/Raleigh area.

Cons

It is not innovative enough and its product is not very excited.

Only good if you work in Cary NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

independence, good pay, good benefits, great reputation

Cons

lack of management skill, confusing directives, training was poor,

higher people who can manage and be accountable. Not just someone who is a very good rep, managing is different.

Technical Support Engineer

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice colleagues, understanding managers, in fact the customers are great too because many times they are fans of the products. Office is nice, benefits are top-notch.

Cons

Salary is and have never been higher than other tech companies. The quality of some products are very poor, and both R&D and Tech Support will face strong pressures from customers around the world, and long working hours. Personal growth is an issue if you have considerations to work outside of SAS in future; I predict other companies are far more demanding in terms of work speed, quality, and depth of IT knowledge.

Managers in Tech Support are doing very well, please keep up the good work.

Great benefits, no advancement

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, terrific health benefits

Cons

No advancement in Housekeeping department

Pay attention to the talents of your workers or you will lose your best workers

A good place to intern at

Former Employee - Technical Intern in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Intern in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The campus is huge, and the food is incredible. You get to see a very healthy work culture that focus on the employees' happiness. There is a fitness center and health center for employees as well as day care. Product is grown right on campus, making the meals very cheap. Nobody wants to leave SAS.

Cons

There is nothing much to complain about, but as an intern, I felt like I was underpaid compared to my peers interning at other companies.

Technical Student Intern

Current Employee - Technical Student in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Student in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, even for a lowly student intern! I can really tell that everyone I've met at SAS enjoy what they do. I worked in a small team and everyone was kind and understanding. Even as an intern, I felt appreciated and welcomed.
    Also, I got a strong feeling that this company is ideal for people with families, especially small children since there is a daycare on site!

Cons

Marketing and market research doesn't seem to be a strong point for this company. Given my short duration of time there, I can't say for sure, but the marketing team that I worked with struggled with communication and I've heard that the market research department is rather underfunded and understaffed. For a company that is the largest private corporation in the US, it is rather unknown to the public. When I tell people I interned at SAS, for most people (without comp/stat background) the name did not ring a bell...
    Overall,

Stay away from this place if you are a sales professional!!!

I have been working at SAS Institute

Pros

Nothing! SAS treats their sales force like crap!

Cons

SAS no interest in seeing their sales reps. make money. It is the most benign and passive aggressive sales environment on the planet. Sales reps come here to end their career and die! Sales leadership is a joke. None of them have ever been in the end zone. Comp plan that was presented to me is not what it seems. They have a "MASTER" comp plan that trumps everything.

Sales Management is bush league. You hire folks who will crawl through glass to get a deal closed. Pay them accordingly!

Not a Sales Driven Company

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Offices - company culture that most individuals get their own office
    Cary extras are unsurpassed - gym, massages, barber, medical facilities
    Great if you need child care for 3 children or less, even better off campus in a regional office - on campus there is a waiting list

Cons

Processes are set up based on a small company- not driven to accomplish sales in a timely manner. No documented process, seems like everyone assumes all workers have been there 10 years and just "know how things work"
    Technology is focused on addressing the needs of a few key customers who seem to keep the company in business.
    Spaghetti code is the least of the challenges
    Cary let's the field over sell and under deliver because there is no honest discussion about gaps in capability or performance
    No real bench-marking- wonder why a company of this size and maturity doesn't provide this type of data?
    Salaries are not competitive, even for NC, forget anywhere else
    Federal leadership is exceedingly poor and there is no "leadership" involved - no strategy- only politics and personalities
    Very poor treatment of women - many inappropriate relationships between high level managers / executives and other staff across the company- really bad in Cary.

Technology, technology, technology - of this decade please
    Focus on good management practices not old boy politics and behavior
    Work on diversity! Most Caucasian work force ever!
    Remember that just because the company has a big name in NC, that the majority of your customers don't live there

Great place to work, but hard to grow

I have been working at SAS Institute as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

SAS has legendary benefits, excellent amenities, and a fantastic working environment. If you find a role doing something you like, you cannot beat the workplace environment.

Cons

Not a lot of churn. People are content and perhaps a little complacent. Opportunities for learning are there, but the general tempo is slow, and opportunities for career advancement are few.