SAY Media

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Matt Sanchez

XoJane internship was

I have been working at SAY Media as an intern

Prossnax. satellite radio (nice but distracting in the office).

ConsTeaching Jane Pratt how to use cut and paste on the computer. Transcribing hours of vapid celebrity interviews, for articles never published. Receiving good feedback for articles I wrote, which were then never published.

No pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay interns if they are the ones doing the work-- the internship program offered little to no training and XoJane would not exist were it not for the interns-- the site was launched on the backs of those who were unpaid.

Engineer led and misogynistic company.

I have been working at SAY Media full-time

ProsCoddled if you are an Engineer, you don't have to be good at it.

ConsDon't accept a job if you are a woman. They appraise them at different value than men, you will also be the first fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo public so you can be replaced.

Once Great, Maybe Okay agin Soon?

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SAY Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe technology stack is very interesting. Almost every fancy language makes an appearance--node, python, JS, CSS, HTML5, Go. They own a lot of their internal code, as well, which means a lot of things to learn, but a lot of ways to improve. The company is constantly struggling to define itself and is working to pivot majorly. Employees have a chance to make a major impact, especially considering the size of the company.

ConsThey own everything in house, which means constant struggle against in-house made code. Little collaboration with the outside world. They pivot every 3 months -- full re-org, new tech stack, new goals, new people, new desks. The churn is insane.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something even if it's wrong. You're afraid of failing, but that's hampering your chance to succeed. Decide if you want to become a big 10 company or go IPO or get bought out. Figure out some way to promote people.

Dont make friends too quickly

New York, NY

I have been working at SAY Media full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople at Say are nice but they're making this up as they go along. Vacation policy is 'take as much as you need' but the people who take advantage are usually very junior.

ConsManagers are looking out only for themselves and often do not give credit to underlings. They do not support advancement. They do not give raises. They only time they give raises is if someone they are really keen on threatens to leave. Oh, they also re-org four to five times a year and have had several rounds of layoffs, especially with the new investors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying for big named editors who you think will get you the headlines you need to be in the game. Invest in the people doing the work. Stop laying off the core of your business. Sanchez should stop playing favorites and show his face from time to time.

Micro Managed

I have been working at SAY Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is good and they have fun things after work.

ConsManagement picks favorites and same level co-workers think they are managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork spaces are too small. Hard to have phone conversations with clients without person next to having to be quiet. Why no 401k?

Working with the best of the best

I have been working at SAY Media full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Say culture can't be beat. I always felt like I was surrounded by the best and brightest in the business. People are also genuinely nice, collaboration is key and people never had problems helping or working with other to get something done. Management is approachable and also grouped in to the 'genuinely nice' category.

ConsLots of change, but that's the industry-wide and not specific to Say.

Keen eye for design, strong technical chops, GREAT culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture at SAY is amazing. I can't say enough about it. Other benefits are:
- A high level of design discipline and desire to create beautiful products
- A very strong engineering team (including co-CTOs - both of which are hands on and have done big and meaningful things)
- Reasonably strong alignment of goals (but they do change often - see below)
- Amazing benefits (fully pay your medical, have unlimited vacation, etc.)

ConsThere are a lot of artificial deadlines and there are a lot of shifting goals. It's to be expected, as the company is still learning how to work in a different mode (as a media company). Despite shifting goals, they are often well communicated so people have a common understanding (a plus)

A great place to work

I have been working at SAY Media full-time

ProsGreat people, smart and fair management, good location, culturally diverse workforce, open minded and passionate employees. The good folks get rewarded. Very approachable management, generally down to earth. Doing really genius things with online advertising and content creation.

ConsShort lead times, frequently changing priorities, no 401k matching, vacation policy is good and bad in that it isn't tracked but but there is no accrued time either. Frequent re-orgs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard on connecting with employees.

Great culture, unconventional compensation

I have been working at SAY Media

ProsThe company is at this great size where new employees can "stake out" their existing roles and junior level employees can move up.

The culture is awesome:
- a dog-friendly office
- many happy hours
- lunch/breakfast once a week
- boozy holiday parties (x2)
- unlimited vacation
- younger (avg age right at 30)
- yoga classes once a week
- other small events every month or so (beer tasting, cocktail challenge, cheese making)

ConsThere are no bonuses. Moving up/getting a raise requires a full title change. No equity and no 401k matching. Our "bonus" is our holiday parties.

Another con is the ever changing focus of the company. Senior management had a major shift in the past 6 months and with it came a company shift. The overall strategy for becoming the next big media company seemed solid but the execution/results were not that impressive. (Owning second rate sites that attract other second rate sites.)

Advice to Senior ManagementNarrow down the list of sites to just 1-2 high quality choices. Trying to be a leader in every channel just leads to a watered down list.

The best place I've worked in a long time

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SAY Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe business side of the house is surprisingly sane, and makes smart decisions even when they're tough. I trust them more than any management team I've seen. The culture is generally good and fosters honest communication and focusing on the long-term goal. There are lots of very smart people doing clever things.

ConsWhen people leave the company it often happens very quietly and sometimes people don't learn about it for a long time. A couple of managers have fallen into the empire-building mindset.

Worked for SAY Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAY Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAY Media CEO Matt Sanchez . All 45 reviews posted anonymously by SAY Media employees.