SAY Media

SAY Media Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Matt Sanchez

Great culture, unconventional compensation

ProsThe company is at this great size where new employees can "stake out" their existing roles and junior level employees can move up.

The culture is awesome:
    - a dog-friendly office
    - many happy hours
    - lunch/breakfast once a week
    - boozy holiday parties (x2)
    - unlimited vacation
    - younger (avg age right at 30)
    - yoga classes once a week
    - other small events every month or so (beer tasting, cocktail challenge, cheese making)

ConsThere are no bonuses. Moving up/getting a raise requires a full title change. No equity and no 401k matching. Our "bonus" is our holiday parties.

Another con is the ever changing focus of the company. Senior management had a major shift in the past 6 months and with it came a company shift. The overall strategy for becoming the next big media company seemed solid but the execution/results were not that impressive. (Owning second rate sites that attract other second rate sites.)

Advice to Senior ManagementNarrow down the list of sites to just 1-2 high quality choices. Trying to be a leader in every channel just leads to a watered down list.

A great place to work

ProsGreat people, smart and fair management, good location, culturally diverse workforce, open minded and passionate employees. The good folks get rewarded. Very approachable management, generally down to earth. Doing really genius things with online advertising and content creation.

ConsShort lead times, frequently changing priorities, no 401k matching, vacation policy is good and bad in that it isn't tracked but but there is no accrued time either. Frequent re-orgs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard on connecting with employees.

The best place I've worked in a long time

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe business side of the house is surprisingly sane, and makes smart decisions even when they're tough. I trust them more than any management team I've seen. The culture is generally good and fosters honest communication and focusing on the long-term goal. There are lots of very smart people doing clever things.

ConsWhen people leave the company it often happens very quietly and sometimes people don't learn about it for a long time. A couple of managers have fallen into the empire-building mindset.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"New" focus every 6 months.

ProsThey can leave you alone... (really a pro?)

ConsThey keep changing the mission of the company. So be careful and ask about the last change of company focus if you're planing to get in here. This is signs pointing to trouble quarters ahead...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involve with daily operation and please, oh please, get rid of all of those managers/schedule wranglers and middle yes man... ppplllleeeaassse...... they all tried to safe their butt...

My Overall Experience

Production Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEveryone works hard and is mellow. First time I have not been in a high stress environment but all the work gets done with ease

ConsYou never really know what someone is thinking.

SAY Media: An awesome fun place to work!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAwesome culture! Really fun place to work. Has great challenges and a lot of room to grow. Very positive and professional in nature. Overall great place. Not a high pressure enviornment, but people do work well and get done what is necessary.

ConsIf you are looking for employers to push you to the limit, SAY will not. They encourage you to grow rather than push you. This is good for some, not for others.

Fast-changing, high energy, fun loving

IT Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople here really care. Working here, you will learn something about yourself and others.

My favorite 'SAY' cares story: We had an HSA meeting and I didn't understand why wifes/husbands/"federally acknowledged partners" of SAY WERE given HSA money, but domestic partners WEREN'T given money towards their health care cost. SAY provides domestic partners with insurance if chosen. If you are confused, don't worry, a lot of people were. Here's the happy ending, at the end of the meeting one of the co-founders and a a woman from HR, approached me, explaining they weren't sure what I was asking at first, but they thought it was a great idea. They immediately contacted the CFO and weeks later it was approved for domestic partners to get the money that would go to a "federally acknowledged partner". The part that surprised me was decided that SAY would eat the taxes on that money to make it even more equal. I have never worked for a company like this. It's great!!!

ConsThe cons are also the pros. Things are ever-changing, meaning that we don't get stuck, but sometimes it may feel we are, it takes awhile to work out the kinks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Upper Management has an open door policy and I have been here long enough to take advantage of it.

Creative, smart people, fun culture.

Media Planner (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSAY is a fast paced environment with a high growth rate. Employees are friendly, qualified and smart. Emphasis on company culture. Office space is super rad, lots of perks and parties. Work hard, play hard atmosphere. Lots of upward career opportunity.

ConsSome issues surrounding vision of company, though execution is always beautiful. Media and ad space are changing so rapidly, companies like SAY are trying their best to stay on the frontier as things develop.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Startup excitement without the craziness

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA good blend of startup and established company culture. A smart, passionate management team. Strong focus on company culture. Solid growth opportunities to assume new responsibilities. Fun and enthusiastic culture. Great location.

ConsAd Networks and Media properties have an uncertain future. Lots of restructuring and acquisitions have made organization more fragmented.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication on strategy and direction.

Fun, energetic and exciting work environment.

Sales Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat office, even better people. Work hard/play hard attitude. Very creative group- instruments all over the office and music constantly playing in the background. Lots of opportunities for growth at this progressive and dynamic company. No vacation policy- just get your work done!

ConsNot really a con, but definitely not a place to work if you're not able to roll with the punches and accept change. Lot of growth happening, which always leads to issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being honest and open with employees. Make it clear that there is a lot of change but also a lot of room to grow.

Worked for SAY Media? Contribute to the Community!