SAY Media Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Matt Sanchez

Pros
  • Amazing group of people, great benefits (unlimited vacation (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, always learning new things, good perks (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant Change and at times overly ambitious (in 3 reviews)

• When people leave the company it often happens very quietly and sometimes people don't learn about it for a long time (in 2 reviews)

1. Associate Creative Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart founding partners not afraid to shift focus according to industry trends.

Cons

Not the company it used to be with a lot of people leaving/getting laid off.

Controller

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media (More than a year)

Pros

Great location and people. COO and President do a good job of letting you know what's going on.

Cons

Excellent people are / were low balled and list. Lack of understanding of processes led to disorganization and difficulties in accomplishing objectives.

3. Forward -thinking company

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, good snacks, good morale. Flew new hires into San Francisco for orientation and guacamole party! Really liked a lot of guys at "the top" -- creative tech people.

Cons

The goals of the company could be kind of confusing. Sometimes it felt like they dabbled in too much but didn't focus enough on certain websites, etc.

Management has no idea what they're doing

I worked at SAY Media full-time

Pros

There were some gems of people that worked there. I really lucked out being able to work with some of the people there. Free catered breakfast or lunch once a week (before they silently got rid of it for some weeks) Unlimited vacation (only if your manager lets you)

Cons

It's taken a lot of restraint to not write a review here but I must share the truth. It was a really great place to be when I joined and I was truly happy as the people were one of a kind, nice, and generally pretty smart. I snapped out of my honeymoon phase after half a year when I started to find out that middle management was pretty much sucking money out of the company and a waste of resources. They are mostly selfish and don't care about employees progress or handle HR cases in a professional manner. Since I was lower on the totem pole, I wasn't taken seriously and talked down to by engineers. I saw full employee turnover rate and said goodbye to great coworkers and friends as they were fired or laid off while their managers weren't doing anything. Meanwhile the people that were left had to deal with the workload of the people that just left. They started hiring really talentless and lazy people because it was cheaper to cover up potholes instead of hiring great and brilliant people that could fix problems that weren't just surface level. When I started we owned the entire building and by the time I left, they laid off most of the company, SILENTLY, while the rest of the employees that were left had no idea that happened, and then eventually moved everyone into the first floor and basement as they couldn't afford rent for the rest of the building. As for all the "wonderful" perks, it happens rarely and the free Costco kindergarten snacks SUCK. I would have rather there be no snacks so the company could save money and some people would still have their jobs. All in all, HR is a joke, this is a fake company with no real or clear mission statement as it changes a few times a year. JUST DON'T BOTHER. PLEASE. This place put me and a few others into a depression. HR won't help you advance your career and does not care if your manager, like mine, was extremely verbally abusive ranging from sexist to racist comments on the daily.

Advice to Management

Just close up shop or be transparent with your employees. You guys keep changing the mission statement and if you really think you're "laser focused" with Tempest and the company's finances, I suggest thoroughly looking into the managers who are way overpaid, lazy slavedrivers who let their teams go that actually did all the work. You have it all backwards. P.S., Tempest still looks like a web designer's first college project.

6. Great culture and teammates.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is great. Fun to work there, smart people. Spends actual effort on improving and developing culture. Great office location in SF. Lots of trust and flexibility from management. The open vacation policy is just part of that; you're treated like an adult. I like the HSA insurance and it would be hard to switch back to a regular PPO.

Cons

Pulling off the longer-term vision to become a larger, more stable company isn't a guaranteed thing. It's a tough industry at the moment but it does feel like there's an opportunity cost. NY is having troubles but SF feels great. Missing some of the perks of other companies like daily meals and other free stuff. Generally don't know what's going on with the company until we read it on TC.

Advice to Management

Engage more with your employees. Create more career opportunities. Make it worth it for those that work hard for the company. Fix the attrition problem. I wonder if you're reading these reviews and trying to fix the problems.

Senior Editor

Former Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

Pros

Free food and free coffee.

Cons

Company does not know what it's doing, puts on a happy face with a lot of B.S. forced fun events and free food but has no concern for employees. Has flip-flopped repeatedly over the years, no one is safe.

8. Great people

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never worked with better folks. Creative, interesting, hardworking (and hard playing!)

Cons

Lack of structure meant job insecurity (also: see the massive layoffs.) Despite stated value of transparency, completely opaque communication with executive team.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency, even if the news is bad. Do your best to remove nepotism and improve career structures for folks outside of dev.

9. Most talented group of passionate yet weirdly awesome people I have ever worked with.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is a lot of fun, expectations are usually very flexible, and people care more about getting a well-tested, long-term solution than just finding hack-y, temporary fixes. Also, dog-friendly office and my coworkers are my friends.

Cons

Lots of business changes have been somewhat weird to work around, and there's sometimes a frustrating disconnect between the engineers and upper management.

Advice to Management

We can't afford to consider tech debt as low-priority forever! The longer it takes for us to do cleanup, the more potential issues we're going to run into in the future.

Great during the earlier Say days but not the same company

Pros

Smart, creative, hard working loyal employees.

Cons

Vague & indirect management - managers communicate with assumptions, generalities & lack of direction. Does not: 1. Give constructive feedback in private. 2. Follow up on employee ideas. 3. Give frequent praise. 4. Support employee development. 5. Allow flexibility and realistic freedoms. 6. Communicate directly and specifically. 7. Demonstrate that you care. 8. Allow employees to share and shine. 9. Respect individual differences. 10. Admit it when you’re wrong.

11. Fun company.

I have been working at SAY Media full-time

Pros

Great people, flexible vacation time, competitive salary

Cons

Low morale, high turn over

RSS Feed </> Embed