SBA Communications

Jeffrey A. Stoops

Great Company!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SBA is a great company with excellent people to work with. They offer a very comprehensive benefits package. Very Team Driven, no micro management. Growing company with loads of opportunity. Listed by Forbes as the #39 most innovative company

Cons

A bit silo'd in departments, some us vs. them goes on, lack of standard process creates redundancy in efforfts from time to time

Keep focused on the Employees and growing the company

No incentive to try

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing industry and profitable towers. Knowledgeable senior management.

Cons

Laughably old IT systems and processes. Borderline incompetent IT department. Absolutely no promotion path for nearly all of the positions in the company. Constant nepotism. Thinking out of the box is highly discouraged here.

Overhaul all IT systems

Good little company living in a big big world.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at SBA Communications

Pros

The company is headed in a great direction in terms of profitability and market share.

Cons

They struggle to keep up with their own growth. There is not a large focus on development of people. Not very progressive in terms of compensation, training, idea sharing, and organizational development. It's just a job.

Executive leadership and some departmental leads should either modernize their practices or realize when it is time to leave.

Good company. Just to many cry babies

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a really good company. The company is doing very well financially and the stock is performing very well. We just moved into a new office and it is very nice. People are really nice.

Cons

We work a lot of hours. There are some here that have been here when the company was smaller and cannot keep up or are willing to change they do things.

Keep listening to your employees.

"SBA is a great place to work"

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

SBA has very good benefits and the pay is not to bad either.

Cons

I have a very heavy work load.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

Growth!

Current Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SBA is growing like crazy. I think the people here are hard working but nice. Sure there are some that are not so nice, but where have you worked where everyone is nice. The leaders of the deparrtments are very hands on and are industry experts.

Cons

Can be very fast paced and can be very hectic. That comes with a compnay that is in growth mode. If you are looking for slow pace or slow and steady; look elsewhere.

Spend a little more time recognizing your employees. We dont want to be one of those companies that give out certificates for just doing our job, just do a better job at this.

Work like a slave... then get tossed aside.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at SBA Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff was friendly. Atmosphere when I started was thick and horrible. It improved greatly in regards to drama. I did enjoy the close environment. It felt like a team after while.

Cons

Super stressful. Blamed for poor work performance when it is poor structure. The amount of time and effort required to do the job assigned is mind boggling. I could have easily worked 16 hours a day 6 days a week and not kept up.

Don't react to a deficiency.... see it coming and observe your staff. Asking them to do 12 hours of work in 6 and then getting upset when it doesn't happen is wrong.

Not what it once was...

Current Employee - Management in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Management in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company lead the pack in wireless facilities management and ownership and treated its employees like members of a family at one time, it might again in the future.

Cons

Safety and honest business practice have been sacrificed in the name of profit. There are serious concerns with some middle and upper management that I believe will lead to a fall. How far remains to be seen. We are already seeing an exodus of long-time employees as this ship sinks.

While there were many processes that needed updating, the mentality that made SBA great is quickly dying. Return to the core values SBA was built on and quit playing the fast profits at all costs game. Tenants were willing to pay more for the quality product, not a similar or lesser product to the those offered by SBA's competitors.

This goes to the people that are so unhappy at the company

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at SBA Communications as an intern (more than 10 years)

Pros

The PROs getting a steady paycheck, health insurance, 401k, stock purchase option, PtO and being part of a company that is growing not only here in the USA but also internationally.

Cons

All the people that are so unhappy with their jobs that make the whole environment toxic. If you are so burned out stop asking people if they need help you create your own day. Stop trying to get all the people that find being able to have a job and actually enjoy it; have a bad day!!!! We are not complaining about the work load we complain because people like you make the work day a struggle since we do need at some point to count on your help. But guess what! we just really try our best to avoid people like you, with such mean demeanor and bad attitude towards everyone. For the rest of us being busy means the company is doing great and we have a job. Be happy you have a job! But if at the end of the day you find yourself saying this is a nightmare and talking bad about the place that is providing you with the means for you to have a house to live in, food etc. Then maybe is time to realize that is not the company that has the issue. It's you! So please do us all a favor and leave! We would be way more productive and happier if we didn't have people like you at the company that makes the environment so uncomfortable. Being at a place that you don't like and doing something you don't like with people that you just hate is called being a masochist. They have doctors and therapy for that.
    So to all of you that just feel this place is a nightmare do yourself a favor and move on! Post your resume everywhere! I wish you the best of luck finding a new place that would hire someone like you, but do change your attitude, otherwise you will carry the same black cloud that you have on top of your head with you wherever you go.

The only suggestion I would give is to include a mental health test.
    Not anonymous!! So that you can find out who the bad apples are and get rid of them, because unfortunately bad habits are more contagious than good ones. And all these unhappy miserable people are the ones that start gossiping and along that comes the low productivity.

Do not work for the Corporate Office in IT/ACCT/FIN

I have been working at SBA Communications full-time

Pros

As the company is growing and investing on new business opportunities. There is no real investment on advanced technologies, also the Executives are unrealistic with their expectations.
    People at the lower levels are good and try really hard to keep things going.

Cons

Gossip, poor upper management directions, terrible ERP systems and integration within them.
    Do not quit your job to work for SBA!