SBGA

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
3.8

CEO

Would you commute 100 miles daily to work? Crazy right? It's well worth the drive to be employed at SBGA

I have been working at SBGA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly professional atmosphere...starting with the always genuine greeting by reception!
    Diversity abounds in every department and opportunities for advancement come with one's work ethic...
    " Self Management" is the key to success here ; not Micro-management ...

Cons

30 minute lunch break BUT end of day is at 3:30 so not exactly a '"CON" ...
    Arrive early...parking can be a challenge otherwise...

Keep up the good work with company sponsored events and Kudos on the picnic!
    It was apparently clear via the selection of food, music & activities that FUNdamentally - SBGA is a great place to work ~

Great work environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SBGA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been at SBGA for a year now and can say that the company is everything I expected and more. It was very clear to me from day one what the goals and expectations were for my role. I appreciate the privilege of being able to self manage while I accomplish such goals. I do enjoy the positive and professional atmosphere within the company itself. The management team is very encouraging as well as your co-workers no matter what department you are in. I enjoy the fact that the company puts on events for us like the company picnic and end of year awards. That brings the entire company together as well as builds moral by recognizing our hard work and efforts. However the thing I truly enjoy the most is the countless charity events the company holds in order to give back to the community.

Cons

You have to be self-motivated and a goal oriented individual to work here. When you first join the company the goals and expectations for your role will be clear. You of course go through great training and are given time to acclimate but if you are someone who does poor quality work and is unreliable this is not the company for you.

Parking can be a challenge if you do not arrive to work early you might be forced to park on the street.

Great opportunities for those who are trainable and willing to work hard.

I have been working at SBGA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I feel compelled to write in response to the angry reviews posted recently by recruiters who were let go for poor attendance or poor performance. I’ve been working at SBGA for almost a year now, and first let me say, there is absolutely nothing unethical about our business model or the recruiting cycle. The position being recruited for is an outside sales role, and truth be told, it is not easy money. If you want a job where you can put in the bare minimum and expect to earn six figures, this is not it. To be successful in this or in any outside sales role, you have to be willing to work hard- to have the commitment and tenacity to back up your skills. The Consultant role is not for everybody, and the mark of a good recruiter is being able to find candidates that would actually be successful as an Independent Business Consultant. That being said, I know recruiters who have worked hard to find good candidates who have gone on to find great success in the field, and been able to focus on quality. The guidelines are there to hold recruiters accountable for their time, so they have the luxury of not being micro-managed. Recruiters don’t make commission from simply hiring people, but are incentivized to focus their energy on finding the right people for the role. It wouldn't make sense to spend time, energy, and the company’s money on hiring and training someone who would not find success in the field (and therefore ultimately make us money.) However, if most of your day is spent fiddling around online rather than working, or you have a habit of showing up hours late with no notice, you will have to struggle to make minimum benchmarks required of your role, and focus on quantity rather than quality. When you’re trying to run a business, it doesn't make sense to employ someone who cannot put in the time or effort to find quality talent. I think the juvenile tone and inflammatory, untrue accusations in those reviews are an indicator of the level of professionalism these people exhibited, and that lack of professionalism is a large part of why they were let go.
    Personally, I appreciate having the freedom to manage my day, and having my performance evaluated in a transparent and professional manner. There’s a very supportive environment here if you have an attitude that is open to learning and feedback.

Cons

Health benefits don't kick in until after 90 days, and the policies on vacation time and holiday pay are quite strict. Jury duty is also unpaid, although you have the option to use vacation time to cover it. Still is a bummer to have to use vacation time to cover lost hours for something you're legally required to do. I guess that's a problem you'd have once a year maximum, though. Parking can also be pretty tough if you don't get there early.

Please consider paying for jury service- we're just doing our civic duty. :-) Otherwise, keep up the positive corporate culture and commitment to our mission statement!

Independent Consultant

Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at SBGA as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

This was an amazing job opportunity. It's a 1099, which means that you are an independent consultant with no base salary. However, the bonus structure is healthy and very achievable. They provide 2 weeks of excellent on site training that includes a ride along with other consultants. My training was in California. You pay for the initial airfare yourself, but on the last day of training you're reimbursed for airfare and then some. My reimbursement check paid for the plane tickets, a rental car for several days and food. They provide corporate apartments to stay in. My recruiter even helped me book my plane ticket, which she didn't have to do. She was an incredible help through the whole process. Once the training is complete, you're given warm leads. Not every lead is a winner, but to be given any qualified leads was a huge plus in my book, and they started me on bonuses earnings really quickly. The more you communicate with your mentor, the more they help you succeed with leads, sales tips etc. They want you to do well and help every step of the way. You get back what you put in, and then some. The people who think it's a free ride or don't really want to work are the ones who don't do well. So if you're self-motivated you'll make great money here. All the tools are given to you.

Cons

No real promotion opportunities for the consultants, but that wasn't a surprise. I signed on as an independent consultant to sell and make money, and that's what I did.

You have some great people in recruiting, training and management. I hope they have opportunities to be promoted and earn bonuses too. I couldn't have done my job without them.

The Company Is What I Thought It Was – And More!

I have been working at SBGA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at this company for almost 3 years. Prior to starting with the company, I did my research. After spending twenty-five years in my previous industry and having worked in both positive work environments and those that were extremely negative and oppressive, it was important that this was a company I could stand behind. I found a company that had a broad product offering, a progressive outlook, positive and fair management, and a strong vision that does not allow the organization to rest on its laurels.
       Every department requires their employees to meet team goals as well as individual goals. These goals were spelled out to me very clearly before I was even offered my position. The goals are very realistic and based on almost 20 years of data the organization has been compiling. To me, it is simple… work hard, meet my objectives, and then reap the positive results of my efforts. They allow me to self-manage my day in order to accomplish the goals. I have seen the company be very patient with those who were struggling, but of course the company has little patience for those that do not even try.
       Most of the employees of this company are among the hardest working individuals I have ever been around – and some of the happiest people.
       The outside sales people can achieve a very high income and offer products that are viable and appeal to a wide variety of small and mid-sized companies. The company has a strong training and mentoring program. Those that are coachable and willing to work can be very successful.
       The inside sales department and call center are filled with outgoing and personable people.
       The Recruiting staff members give an accurate depiction of the position, both the upside of the position and the expectations.
       In the past three years, I have seen the company add key elements to the product offering and maintain their leading edge in the industry, add key service offerings on the back-end to better care for their clients, make key enhancements and changes to various departments in order to stay competitive in the industry and take better care of their employees.
       The company gives back as well. Recently we had over 100 people sign up to volunteer at a Stand Down event to benefit homeless Veterans, beach cleanup days, Make-A-Wish sponsorship, and more – all of which is completely voluntary.

Cons

This company is not right for everyone, especially for those with a poor work ethic or for the lazy. It is highly rewarding for those who care, but the apathetic will have a difficult time. No surprise the company will separate from those who consistently arrive late, play on their cellphones excessively during working hours, and are always trying to push the lowest boundaries of expectations.

The company would benefit from more interdepartmental meetings. If employees understand more of what the other groups do, it would enhance the overall vision and allow for more sensitivity between departments.

Outstanding training, Outstanding Support, Outstanding People, Outstanding Offerings

Current Employee - Independent Business Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Independent Business Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SBGA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am a prior small business owner (over 8 years) and very aware of how hard it is to remain profitable. SBGA truly can help your profitability in many area that most small businesses get taken advantage of. If you truly want to help small businesses succeed SBGA helps you do this.

The opportunity that SBGA provides you is awesome. Two weeks of up front training and then continued ongoing support is a significant investment by the company in your personal growth.

Cons

If your lazy, unmotivated, or want things handed to you on a silver plate - look somewhere else. Not everyone is cut out for laying their life on the line such as our military, putting in the long hours of study to get their college degree, or to operate and run their own business. Just because your not cut out for the job - don't blame it on someone else. If you can't hack being in a sales job and being told no or I too busy - look somewhere else.

Thank you for the opportunity to operate my own business with exceptional support. This allows me both the opportunity to support my family and the flexibility to spend time enjoying their lives.

I Love Working Here

Current Employee - BCA in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - BCA in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SBGA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was really bothered by the post on October 21. I worked with the guy that posted it and I think he was solid when hanging but posting that after being fired for attendance just seemed wrong and something that takes half truths and makes them negatives and only hurts us that he worked with which is just wrong.

I've worked her almost three years and it's been better than any job I've had up to this point. It's run like a business which can be criticized but running it like a business also gets me my paycheck on time so I can't criticize it.

I hear his points about the sales people, but they get paid the most and they are self employed so of course they cover their own costs. The hard working ones also make the most, and the ones that don't don't. To get a bonus, for being self-employed entrepreneurs to help with travel costs seems a positive not a negative. The calls are for training and support, I just can't make that a negative. Our competition doesn't give leads which would make the job incredibly hard. So the pro is schedules of leads and the cons are that some turn out to be not perfect. But sales agents are earning a lot with the leads and one was just recognized for having a monthly paycheck over $20k that he got from using the lead progrM so the comments just seem unfair. And of course the sales agents get commissions for selling or leasing equipment, I think probably every job that sells or leases equipment gets commissions, and that's not a negative, and it helps us earn bonuses too.

We see all the customer compliments so the other digs are just unfair and made up, the manager shared that we earned top sales in the country for the year for payroll and credit cards and you don't get that except for doing right and good.

Taking digs about people that had DUIs or whatever but have moved on and are living professional lives just again seems hurtful.

It's a great place to work. The training is good and has gotten better with the new training manager.

I understand the hurt that goes with getting let go or whatever I just don't understand why that is something where all the people working hard have to get hurt because someone's just angry. I mean I get the anger but to use it to twist things is sad. But pray for those that hurt you and you will receive grace is what I remind myself, so I will

Cons

Higher bonuses for us at the office, more events than just the holiday dinner and company picnic, and better training for people wanting manager promotions

Keep running the good company I love my paychecks!!!!!!

Great concept, hard sales - unless willing to be dishonest....

Current Employee - Independent Business Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Business Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SBGA as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

SBGA provides 2 weeks up-front training as well as weekly calls that are good for keeping you up-to-date on industry and sales. The mentors are great about helping you be successful. The first year bonuses are nice but not very lucrative.

Cons

It is difficult to make enough money to live on during your first couple of years. The industries that SBGA represents are super competitive and sales are tough. SBGA management tends to be on the greedy side and the IBC is responsible for all out-lay of cash to bring in accounts. SBGA encourages the IBC to give reimbursements. This sounds good but since most new hires don't make it more than a few months - it really only benefits SBGA. Even though they call you "Independent Business Consultants", they try to keep control and if you don't follow the 'rules', they threaten to either let you go or not set up appointments for you.

We make promises and we don't deliver

I have been working at SBGA

Pros

The training team is made up of good people, they truly do their best, and even though it is very difficult to train people that they know most likely won't make it the field they still constantly are working on developing better training to increase their chances.

Cons

Congratulations to The Independent Business consultant that was able to figure out the scam. There are 8 recruiters who are expected to bring in 4 consultants each month. 2 training classes each month. Do the math. They have a little over 80 in the field at any given time. And have been in operation since 1995. We will hire literally anyone. We get bonuses on the people that sell something, but most recruiters are let go before they receive their bonus, which I have to assume is given to the boss, who does the firing. I've been with the company for under a year and I can say that and not be recognized, as most of the department has been as well. We tell them their first year earnings will be between 65-95k and second year between 95 and 150k. And then we go on about the one guy who made 421,000 last year who has been with the company for 7 years. That is so not true. If they calculated the non earnings of the 95% that didn't make a dime, they wouldn't be talking about income potential at all. At best 25k is a realistic number for first year earnings for the ones who really do call on 40 people a day - to get one person to talk to them. And their lead generation team will call businesses to make an appointment but when the consultant gets there most will either not remember the conversation, the company is out of business or they said I didn't agree to meet with you. The boss lady, is lining her pockets with the money of the ones she let's go of before they receive their bonus. It's all a big numbers game, the more calls you make the more likely you are to find that poor desperate individual to fly to California and spend two unpaid weeks to get through a training class that will statically speaking, in most cases be a waste of time and money. Don't let it be you.

Lets lift the veil and see what's really underneath

I have been working at SBGA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being that I worked as a Recruiter for the company for close to 3 1/2 yrs what I can say is this.... It's amazing that this company is still up and running, especially the way that they manage from top to bottom. Beginning as a recruiter for the outside sales reps we definitely misinformed job candidates by giving them false information. First off there's no way on god's green earth that the outside sales reps on average are making 65k-85k in their first year, the probability of I would say 20% of 1st year outside sales reps making that kind of money is slim to none!! The way the compensation is structured is to benefit the company only, I guess really "investing" in their people isn't high on the priority list, they make the outside sales reps jump through hoops to get any kind of money and micromanage them via "keep on track" calls or "Monday morning meetings" which are a requirement. Then we as recruiters tell them that they receive "lead generation support" which comes in the form of a call center rep setting up bogus appointment s that most of the time the store owner didn't agree upon. Next they have the candidates pay for their own flight, rental car, and food while coming out here for a two week training. All in all with expenses calculated generously in the companies favor I would say on average a person coming out for training will be out close to $1,500 or more but the company wants to show they invest in you by providing a "travel allowance" ranging from 500 - $800 so again if you're forking out at minimum $1,500 you're still in the red $700 and oh, they don't provide the travel allowance until the last day of training so god forbid you have a change of heart or they decide you're not a good fit for the job they'll send you back from where you came, no check in hand. As recruiters we emphasized to the candidates to reach out to circle of influence so we can sign a family member up and screw them with our processing rates. They really like to push leases of the hardware that businesses use to conduct transactions, why? Because the company gets paid in full immediately!!! It's a bait n switch scenario, they get customers signed up for multiple services, lease them hardware and make the merchant pay ridiculous fee for getting out of s processing contract. When it comes to recruiting for the call center they pretty much hire anyone, halfway housers, druggies, high risk people and they even got managers with rap sheets longer than a freaking football field. The way they train these telemarketers is a bigger joke than the reps themselves. If that company drug tested it's employees today they'd lose 70% of their staff immediately!!! Managers belittle call center reps, reps come on the floor with alcohol in water bottles, get high in the parking lot, do drugs in the bathrooms, this place is a real class act!!! The sad thing is everyone knows it but they, in the words of my previous joke of a boss "drink the koolaide" aka kiss the right tush, lord knows that's how people got promoted in my dept. They over promise and really under deliver. Micromanagement on all levels, better get that talk time or dials because that equals production, better not question authority, they'll get you out faster than you can say "SCAM" lol. How are those "glorified appointment setters" going? I would say every department in the company is underpaid but on the flipside if you are a performer they will let you pretty much get away with anything I.E. the drunken debaucheries at company parties and what not. If this company had to take a test on how to manage your employees they'd receive an F, if they took a test on how to run a company into the ground i'd give em an A+!

Cons

Need I say more, probably can but I said my piece!

Read above and make the necessary changes to make this company what it should be, not what it is! in the call center train the people right, conduct yourself with at least some level of class and stop micro-managing, they're not kids you're babysitting they're employees who make your job relevant!! For recruitment hold everyone EQUALLY accountable, go back to what made the department successful in the first place and be honest with your recruits. Oh and make sure people know how to do their job and don't do it for them to C.Y.A. The truth hurts but the truth is needed!