SBM Offshore

Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

SBM Offshore CEO Bruno Chabas
Bruno Chabas

I have gained a lot of knowledge working with various departments withon this company.

Current Employee - Project/Personnel Logistics Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project/Personnel Logistics Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at SBM Offshore

Pros

Working here gave me the opportunity to grow and pursue experience for my career path.

Cons

Loss of experienced experienced coworkers in 2014.

Continue training and promoting the employees.

lead piping designer

Former Employee - Lead Piping Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Piping Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at SBM Offshore

Pros

excellent benefits . company starts with 3 weeks of paid vacation, 24 hrs of sick leave. 10 paid holidays. 401K matching contribution up to 6% of salary. flex time for working hours

Cons

not enough training. they are always working on fast track jobs, which does not leave any time for training.

training and rewording hard working employees

My review

Current Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at SBM Offshore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company where I enjoy working!

Cons

More and more fast track projects.

Very poor management at this sweat shop.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at SBM Offshore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good and benefits were adequate. The Operations group was a good place to work. However the Finance group was a very unpleasant place to work.

Cons

Contrary to what was presented during the interview, there was no work / life balance. Additionally, this was a very autocratic management structure. You were given responsibility, but no authority or resources to carry out the wrk.

An employee survey was taken and the results were not very flattering. Management should review those results and begin to implement some of the recommendations from the survey.

OK company to work with

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at SBM Offshore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefit with the company is good. Especially, the medical insurance is almost fully covered by the company. Not many companies are doing this nowadays.

Cons

I feel there are too many politics within the company. Many of my colleague knew and believe that "you are not much if you are not dutch (or French)"

Amazing opportunity for entry-level growth

I have been working at SBM Offshore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic working environment, great benefits, small company feel....only a sample of what contributes to SBM being a great place to work. SBM has best intent at doing right thing, especially considering leading position in the FPSO market.

Cons

Likely common in several O&G companies, silo mentality exists regarding Operations (Supply Chain, Procurement, Logistics, Proj Mgmt) versus Engineering (Discipline engineers, Engineering Departments, Design Teams). This is unfortunate considering unique size of the company.

SBM will see positive impact with increased communications (informal) while becoming more transparent.....believe trend is heading this direction though.

Retaining employees & ensuring job satisfaction among all isn't sole responsibility of HR - they can do so much & are often advocating on behalf of employee. Mgmt should spend more time engaging with employees, recognizing the talents that each employee brings, & becoming more humbled (open to learning) by those in the trenches. Revisit employee/Mgr yearly appraisals for sake of calibrating goals for best outcome of company & individual.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Naval Architect in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Naval Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at SBM Offshore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment. They have the fleet of FPSO and good amount of job security

Cons

Dutch and French kingdom. Only these nationalities seem to be promoted quickly.

Good Company

I have been working at SBM Offshore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid insurance, half day Fridays, company weekends, flexible schedules, paid cafe meals, most people are nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Parking spot rules, horrible cafe, hard work not rewarded across the board, 4DX WIG meetings. High turnover. Lack of staff. Compensation seems to be an issue here as they will pay more for recruiting a new employee than a bonus to retain the ones they already have.

Stay out of peoples personal and professional life unless they seek advice or help to improve it. Get rid of the 4DX (WIG) meetings. Not everyone does it and those who do hate it. Everyone deserves good bonuses, not just the highly paid staff.

Used to be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at SBM Offshore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good. The company takes care of it's employees financially and is very generous with health and vacation. The yearly bonuses are hypocritical. You can be an A+ performer but they will still only give you a B, because bonuses are tied to reviews. However salary and benefits are good enough so that bonus dollar amounts are not a deal breaker to work for SBM.

Cons

Very high employee turnaround in the last year. Management shake-ups and installment of unqualified budget replacement workers increased stress levels. Some departments regularly working 50+ hour weeks as a result.

You should not give out referral bonuses to employees for new hire. If a toxic employee/manager is hired as such, and the referring party is upper management then they will cover for these individual's mistakes because it would reflect on themselves. The net result is certain unhappy departments.
    Also take a hard look at why so many 5+ year employees are leaving. Not everybody wants to tell the truth because they don't like to burn bridges. Leaving to care for 'mother' when colleagues know the real reason is that they are exhausted and don't feel appreciated is a good example.

Awesome people and culture to work in

Former Employee - Senior Cost Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Cost Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at SBM Offshore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They really value their employees and promote a life outside of work. You got every Friday as a half day. A week off at Christmas in addition to your own vacation and plenty of team building excursions during the year. I had the opportunity to work for one of the best bosses I've ever had as well as an outstanding project management team.

Cons

As a French owned company it was difficult to move around once you were in a position. My husband was transferred to Charlotte, NC so we jumped on the opportunity but the company also has a policy that if you leave on your own, you are not "re-hire-able"

SBM Offshore Photos