SCC Reviews

• Birmingham, England
3.3
SCC Chief Executive James Rigby
James Rigby

Great company, excellent staff and a nice environment to work in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great and friendly employees to work with.
    - Everyone treated equally regardless of position (junior/senior)
    - Company works with charity partners for fundraising on a national scale.
    - Lunch is an hour long and can be taken whenever between 12:00-14:00
    - Great place to gain corporate skills.

Cons

-Computers could do with an upgrade.

Apr 15, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear you are enjoying your time at SCC.

Please contact IT support via your line manager if the kit supplied is not performing well enough - they will be

Technical Consultant - Professional Services

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Due to the companies strong reputation the customer profile and opportunities are all enterprise level offering the chance to work with some of the latest technology products and vendors to deliver complex and challenging solutions. This results in a rewarding and varied career with the added benefit of working alongside some of the industries top technical professionals in their respective sector.

Cons

Engagements can be geographically diverse due to the ever expanding customer base, so there are inevitable travel requirements and this can also involve extended periods of time spent away from home.

Mar 20, 2015SCC

Thank you for taking the time to post a review - we appreciate your feedback

Working for SCC

Current Employee - Senior Manager Within Sales in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Within Sales in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC

Pros

I have been with SCC for over 25 years as have many of my counterparts and many of the staff working for me also have 10, 15 and 20 years tenure. If your personal ethos is to work hard, be totally committed to a company and the customers you serve and have the highest levels of integrity then SCC is a great place to build a career. Additionally apart from the first role I was employed to do with SCC every subsequent role has been created for me as part of a significant career path progression. I am proud that many of the staff I have employed over the years have in turn become senior managers within SCC and of those that have left they have succeeded in their new companies.

Cons

SCC has been termed a marmite business to work for. If you want to work hard and be accountable then that's the culture within SCC if not you don't like marmite.

Been with SCC for 10 years and still going

Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Been with SCC for over 10 years. Staff friendly and management approachable.
    Open to change which has been more observable within the last couple of years with the investment within the company. If you want to get on the opportunities are there especially with the renewed focus on people development.

Cons

Premises in Birmingham are tired but things are changing.

Advice to Management

Stay open to change and continue the investment in the people development strategy,

Mar 20, 2015SCC

Fantastic Place to Build a Career

Current Employee - Report Writer in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Report Writer in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Built on a culture of mutual respect, SCC has been a fantastic place to work. I have been encouraged to work my own way, and have been given any resources and support needed in order to perform to the best of my ability.
    As much as I enjoy my job itself, the people are what make working for SCC so fantastic. It's not just management that are supportive, but peers too. We often collaborate to drive results and I have never found myself in a situation where no support was available to me.
    It is definitely an environment where you succeed based on your own merits, so if you are willing to learn and work hard, this is definitely the place for you.

Cons

The car park gets very busy.

Feb 5, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

There are plans in place to improve the car parking facilities at our Birmingham campus.

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at SCC

Pros

Learn how not to do things the right way. Small number of genuine nice people.

Cons

Theres quite a lot of negative reviews on here and I'm afraid my opinion is no different. On boarding process needs to be looked at, I spent my first two weeks watching someone show me how not to do my job. When finally my equipment arrived, it was of a very poor warn standard.
    The morale within operation centre is probally at its all time low, most of the better staff with initiatives are currently seeking exit plans or already left! The senior management within this area use Unprofessional dictatorship styles to mange their staff. The staff turnaround rate for the operation center must be quite high. Anyone seen not to agree with new initiative or processes, who have valid reasons to disagree are seen as trouble makers. Time and time again, I've seen employees been treated unfairly, unreasonable expectations set, and eventually manged out the company unjustified. Scare monger tactics from management which is backed by HR allows SCC to do this.
    Opportunity also is hard to come by, you can be a top performer, glowing references off your customers, achieve all your KPI's and objectives but it seems SCC don't reward staff on merit. If you look at the current senior management, quite a few of them have been awarded senior roles without any kind of interview process.
    The building is in a very poor condition and also the area located in Birmingham has a extremely high crime rate. In my time there was a female colleague who was sexually assaulted on her way back to her car (some of the car park is not on private land). Also a car jacking accross the road at head quaters.
    And finally I must mention the inadequate head counts in each department and quality of staff left is affecting their ability to meet contractual agreements and obligations. Sla stats can be modified and alot of the time was to avoid financial penalties meaning a lot of the reporting the customer and I received was inaccurate.

Advice to Management

Please start conducting exit interviews. Understand why all the better staff are leaving. Reward on merit. Review current management structure and hire external company to come speak to existing staff with no come backs on how you can improve you organisation. You will be surprise of how many good staff you don't reconise. You need to start making SCC a employer of choice not employer of hell.

Apr 15, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

The good news is that we are currently reviewing the induction process - both corporate and local.

Being such a large business with many differing job roles, the
    ... More

COULD be a great company, but recently SCC has gone downhill.

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Some of the staff that work there are great people, free parking,

Cons

It used to be a great company when I started 9 years ago. They lost the good management and staff to BT and Hitachi Data in 2011 and 2012 and since they have promoted the only people left. They then made a load of redundancies and then other people got promoted for the wrong reasons or moved to different departments if current line management didn't like them. Very much a 'face fit' culture. James Rigby needs to take a good look at some of managers and really speak to staff to find out opinion before the reputation is completely destroyed and all of the good staff have left. I once loved working here but all I see are miserable people and demotivation. A box of biscuits (albeit luxury ones) was a bit of a kick in the teeth as we have not had so much as a Christmas card previously. Tracy Westall is an absolute asset to the company although many may disagree.

Advice to Management

Advice to James Rigby. you have some great staff that wants to do well and want the company to succeed. Pay fair wages, accurate commissions and promote on merit.

Apr 6, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

We are disappointed to hear that you felt your luxury Christmas biscuits were a "kick in the teeth" having not received anything in previous years. We viewed it as
    ... More

This is one of the best companies I have worked for in my career and I have worked across a variety of companies.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A very friendly and welcoming organisations with excellent work ethics good development and progression opportunities, very approachable CEO and senior executive teams, exciting times ahead with new initiatives and evolution of new service offerings becoming available all the time.

Cons

Not that I have experienced.

Challenging, but rewarding.

Current Employee - BDE in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - BDE in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They're a massive company, with huge buying power. Where they have invested time and money, they're an industry leader with huge clout and influence and are capable of greatness. There is scope for promotion, wage rises and career development, but you need to take ownership of your own destiny, and not expect it to land in your lap. It's essentially a multi-billion pound family business. If you put the effort in, you will get noticed and you will be rewarded.

Cons

Very process driven, sales operations teams can be a nightmare, if you don't know who to go to for help, you can struggle. Once you settle in and learn who to go to in your peer group, it's a lot easier

Advice to Management

Look after your long term staff better. It can put people's noses out of joint when new hires are brought in for a much higher salary, with less experience and no knowledge of SCC processes and systems. It's more costly to hire than retain; look after the assets you already have.

No complaints

Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, nice people, management expect hard work (good thing)

Cons

Some people expect something for nothing

Advice to Management

Spend some time talking to lower level staff