SCC Reviews

Updated March 13, 2015
107 reviews filtered by

Challenging, but rewarding.

Current Employee - BDE in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - BDE in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They're a massive company, with huge buying power. Where they have invested time and money, they're an industry leader with huge clout and influence and are capable of greatness. There is scope for promotion, wage rises and career development, but you need to take ownership of your own destiny, and not expect it to land in your lap. It's essentially a multi-billion pound family business. If you put the effort in, you will get noticed and you will be rewarded.

Cons

Very process driven, sales operations teams can be a nightmare, if you don't know who to go to for help, you can struggle. Once you settle in and learn who to go to in your peer group, it's a lot easier

Look after your long term staff better. It can put people's noses out of joint when new hires are brought in for a much higher salary, with less experience and no knowledge of SCC processes and systems. It's more costly to hire than retain; look after the assets you already have.

COULD be a great company, but recently SCC has gone downhill.

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Some of the staff that work there are great people, free parking,

Cons

It used to be a great company when I started 9 years ago. They lost the good management and staff to BT and Hitachi Data in 2011 and 2012 and since they have promoted the only people left. They then made a load of redundancies and then other people got promoted for the wrong reasons or moved to different departments if current line management didn't like them. Very much a 'face fit' culture. James Rigby needs to take a good look at some of managers and really speak to staff to find out opinion before the reputation is completely destroyed and all of the good staff have left. I once loved working here but all I see are miserable people and demotivation. A box of biscuits (albeit luxury ones) was a bit of a kick in the teeth as we have not had so much as a Christmas card previously. Tracy Westall is an absolute asset to the company although many may disagree.

Advice to James Rigby. you have some great staff that wants to do well and want the company to succeed. Pay fair wages, accurate commissions and promote on merit.

Good company on the UP!

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Lots of bad reviews, mostly from people who state they have been at SCC for two, five, even seven years! If it's that bad why didn't you leave? the reason is because you weren't good enough to find another job and got found out. If you are willing to put the effort it in and put up with some of the annoyances (all companies have them) then you will get recognised and rewarded. Company is expanding, making acquisitions and meeting targets so there are plenty of opportunities for people willing to take the challenge. There is a very flat organisational structure, so if you are not prepared to put the commitment in then you quickly find yourself under severer pressure very quickly, likewise good work and dedication will not go unnoticed by senior management.

Cons

The senior management of some business units have rather old fashioned draconian views. Offices and working environments could be better at some locations.

Carry on the good work, look after good staff.

Best of Both Worlds

I have been working at SCC

Pros

SCC are a family owned business that brings all the benefits of working for a flexible friendly workplace, with the economies of scale of a large company.

Genuine career development within an organisation that has it's finger on the pulse of all activities. approachable senior management and desire to improve as an organisation.

Ability to work in cutting edge projects and technology, with a great team.

This is a company for career people who want to progress.

Cons

Some areas of the business are in need of improvement, certainly in terms of systems and processes, but also our remuneration packages, pensions, cars etc..

This however has been recognised and a programme of works is currently underway to review.

Keep doing what you're doing - but improve communications to all staff!

You get what you give

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are proactive in achieving targets set for you, you will be rewarded - be it financially or via a promotion.

For some, happiness is more important than remuneration, and this is a business that appreciates people up for the challenge.

Speaking from experience, I carried out tasks that weren't particularly suited in order to demonstrate commitment to doing well and I am now in a more senior position than I was.

Cons

Some areas of the business are alienated and feel hard done by. More should be done to ensure the company values are shared throughout.

There is clearly a lot of investment being put into growth areas, people, facilities etc. But a cultural change is redundant if it stops at the stop.

Some people genuinely see positive change - make sure this filters through to all areas of the business.

Thank you for your review.

In three years so much has improved for the better

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team: The team I work in work hard but also have a great sense of humour. Regular team meetings take place so that everyone knows about big projects, can express concerns and can offer advice to others, and understand expectations. Management are approachable and I feel comfortable speaking to them about any concerns.

Employee opportunities & Involvement: Good discount schemes, opportunites to get involved in charity events and better communications than ever with the CEO messages, company announcements and good news stories. As a result I feel more connected to what's going on in different areas within the business and also more connected to the other branches.

My experience: In the three years of being at SCC I have worked in two different departments. I have found that management have always encouraged me to aim higher with emphasis on working hard but also ensuring that I enjoyed the role. I have had some excellent opportunities whilst working here and have progressed my career, but that has not come without hard work, confidence and ambition.

Cons

Buildings are are bit dated, there could be some new/rotating work perks as the current ones may not suit all,

Thank you for your review.

We are currently reviewing all branding across our office locations which will include notable improvements in some areas.

Positive experience - steady and productive

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm sure that every place of work has some disgrunteld staff, and their probably the most vocal. But some of the most extreme reviews on this profile are laughably dramatic.

My own time has been steady & productive. I've witnessed what people say about being rewarded for hard graft.

And I liked the biscuits!

Cons

Clearly some people have real issues and it sounds as if there are individuals within the business personally responsible. I haven't come across this but probably a good idea to work out who they are and how it can be improved.

I keep up with the internal news and there is a positive feeling. You should make it felt by everyone.

Thanks for your review.

No complaints

Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, nice people, management expect hard work (good thing)

Cons

Some people expect something for nothing

Spend some time talking to lower level staff

New Starter - 1 month in review

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SCC has an incredible scope of diverse people working across their sites, this all comes together during the induction session, where you quickly comprehend the vision and scope of where they are now and where SCC want to be going. Personally, my review is that the company what’s to committed to getting the SCC brand up there with the big players, and if your 'on-board', then you can contribute to this, and get that satisfaction that you can contribute.

Cons

Like any business challenging to significantly compete in the ‘Cloud’ market (my role is cloud focused), this journey is not an overnight accomplishment. On-boarding could be more structured (this is a wider issue, not just with SCC), but if you want to know an answer to a question, just ask… be motivated to make that effort, you can get answers pretty clearly and quickly.

I'm pretty new here, so it’s not logical at this stage to rationalise manager methodology yet

Positive and challenging organisation to work for, heading in good direction

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Some very good people to work with, in the whole people from all over the business (including outside of the UK) are approachable and willing to help. SCC is a large organisation and still growing, investing in its service offering and changing to market conditions, with this there is an element of change within the business, which I believe to be a positive. Strong career opportunities, good support from management. Can be very challenging and demanding, but overall a good placed to work.

Cons

Some business silos within SCC have developed with sub cultures, as a result pockets of the business are less favourable places to work. HQ is a little tired, but this is well known and seems to slowly being addressed.

Keep investing in the business, focus on HR and recruitment (reviews are fair representation) as we need good people into the business to support the growth.