SCC

www.scc.com
Employer Engaged

Challenging, but rewarding.

Current Employee - BDE in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - BDE in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They're a massive company, with huge buying power. Where they have invested time and money, they're an industry leader with huge clout and influence and are capable of greatness. There is scope for promotion, wage rises and career development, but you need to take ownership of your own destiny, and not expect it to land in your lap. It's essentially a multi-billion pound family business. If you put the effort in, you will get noticed and you will be rewarded.

Cons

Very process driven, sales operations teams can be a nightmare, if you don't know who to go to for help, you can struggle. Once you settle in and learn who to go to in your peer group, it's a lot easier

Look after your long term staff better. It can put people's noses out of joint when new hires are brought in for a much higher salary, with less experience and no knowledge of SCC processes and systems. It's more costly to hire than retain; look after the assets you already have.

Positive experience - steady and productive

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm sure that every place of work has some disgrunteld staff, and their probably the most vocal. But some of the most extreme reviews on this profile are laughably dramatic.

My own time has been steady & productive. I've witnessed what people say about being rewarded for hard graft.

And I liked the biscuits!

Cons

Clearly some people have real issues and it sounds as if there are individuals within the business personally responsible. I haven't come across this but probably a good idea to work out who they are and how it can be improved.

I keep up with the internal news and there is a positive feeling. You should make it felt by everyone.

Thanks for your review.

No complaints

Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, nice people, management expect hard work (good thing)

Cons

Some people expect something for nothing

Spend some time talking to lower level staff

Thank you for your review.

FIVE STAR BAD SERVICE !!!! -- SCC continuously FAIL as a business !!!!

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros? Professionals at scare mongering and running business the WRONG way.. YOU CANNOT READ THE BAD REVIEWS? SIMPLY REGISTER WITH GLASSDOOR AND SCROLL DOWN A FEW PAGES, THE TRUTH IS MASKED BY 5 STAR REVIEWS. Always read BOTH sides of the story. Negatives always outweigh positives in terms of reality, facts.

Cons

SCC continuously fail as a computer/audio visual company, they use scare mongering, mental torturing and bullying to get their own way. Stats and figures come 2nd in their priority list, number 1 priority is to try and bully some poor soul each and every day. For example, i knew a engineer that always managed to get calls where they are working next to rat droppings and even decomposed rats not to mention asbestos. When that engineer complained about it and refused to work on these sites SCC management attacked this engineer like there was no tomorrow as if he was a criminal. They made his life very difficult and always gave him the dirty jobs purposely. Engineers are told they must be accurate with the way they conduct themselves from start of shift till end, that rule of course applies up until a SLA is about to be lost... Then the goal posts can be moved and 'accurate stats' become 'fabricated stats'. For example, engineers attend calls on managers orders to attend a site WITHOUT logging themselves on the system as attending site.. they assess for argument sake a PC and order a part. When the part comes they then book themselves onsite on managers orders so that it looks like a scc engineers fixed the fault first time. Another example is the MANUAL CLOSURES and MANUAL CALL EDITING by management when a call will be attended by an engineer outside of SLA, that engineer will be told by manager NOT to book himself onsite and to just repair or assess the issue off the record. Of course SCC management will then manually edit the arrival times and departure times to close the call within SLA. This is a company wide known fact. Furthermore SCC engineers also are forced to attend calls where they are not trained nor capable of doing, such as servers. 22 year old ex trainee carpenters find themselves forced into server calls without any server qualifications let alone basic IT skills. Not only putting themselves at risk but the customer and potentially 100s of the customers employees. This is high high risk business from SCC which has done and will continue to backfire on them. I have not listed a FRACTION of the way SCC operate and conduct themselves. If you want a job where you will be effectively committing fraud which closing calls inside SLA when they wasn't with big figures(money) at stake IS FRAUD. The major customers that this effects is the big red and the big blue high street betting shops and the black clothing stores..etc.

I advise management to have a chat with the CEO, advise him you are not qualified for this role and you would like to go back to your engineer job or do something else you will be good at. Ask the CEO to employ qualified managers capable of handling the company the correct way, because if you cared about SCC you would do the right thing and help them out. SCC would flourish under respectable qualified managers that operate in a genuine, honest and upfront manner.

Good company on the UP!

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Lots of bad reviews, mostly from people who state they have been at SCC for two, five, even seven years! If it's that bad why didn't you leave? the reason is because you weren't good enough to find another job and got found out. If you are willing to put the effort it in and put up with some of the annoyances (all companies have them) then you will get recognised and rewarded. Company is expanding, making acquisitions and meeting targets so there are plenty of opportunities for people willing to take the challenge. There is a very flat organisational structure, so if you are not prepared to put the commitment in then you quickly find yourself under severer pressure very quickly, likewise good work and dedication will not go unnoticed by senior management.

Cons

The senior management of some business units have rather old fashioned draconian views. Offices and working environments could be better at some locations.

Carry on the good work, look after good staff.

Going in the right direction

Former Employee - Ops
    Former Employee - Ops

I worked at SCC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New website with new values looks good.

I felt like I left the company a better professional than when I started. Plenty of good people there willing to help - some idiots but that's life!

Don't understand why you'd complain about work-life balance. I did the job and went home as per my contracted hours.

Cons

Promotions maybe harder to come by in certain roles but I was given a couple because I applied myself.

Lower level managers can be a little tough on people who would respond better if nurtured differently.

First job - great stepping stone

Former Employee - Service Desk
    Former Employee - Service Desk

I worked at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SCC was my first job and I used it as a stepping stone to my current job. I learned a lot and can't think of any reason why others wouldn't feel the same.

I asked questions and made friends and it has set me up for the future.

Cons

I didn't receive the news emails when I first started

More parking spaces needed

Thank you for your review.

Plans are in place to help improve parking facilities at our Birmingham campus.

Good place to work

Current Employee - IT Manager in Iaşi (Romania)
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Iaşi (Romania)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities, exposure to a multitude of clients and projects

Cons

Not the best offices

Positive and challenging organisation to work for, heading in good direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Some very good people to work with, in the whole people from all over the business (including outside of the UK) are approachable and willing to help. SCC is a large organisation and still growing, investing in its service offering and changing to market conditions, with this there is an element of change within the business, which I believe to be a positive. Strong career opportunities, good support from management. Can be very challenging and demanding, but overall a good placed to work.

Cons

Some business silos within SCC have developed with sub cultures, as a result pockets of the business are less favourable places to work. HQ is a little tired, but this is well known and seems to slowly being addressed.

Keep investing in the business, focus on HR and recruitment (reviews are fair representation) as we need good people into the business to support the growth.

Overall a great, progressive company to work for

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management are largely very able, friendly and approachable
    The vast majority of staff are highly skilled, extremely capable, and bring huge value to the business
    Constantly looking to build, recruit and innovate
    If you work hard and are good at what you do there will be ample opportunities for progression and pay rises
    A good natured and helpful environment to work in
    The business does a lot for charity with frequent fundraising and is very keen to put something back into the community
    A 'can do' team of people who go above and beyond for their customers

Cons

The location of the main Birmingham office is poor with not enough car parking to accommodate all regular staff and as such those of us who can work from elsewhere often choose elsewhere
    Rewards and perks are definitely geared more towards sales than any other area
    Several internal processes don't work well and need smoothing out
    There are some internal politics although this seems to be easing
    The 1% company pension for new starters is woeful and can put off good people from joining

More recognition is needed for deserving staff outside of the sales force. All departments are needed to make the business successful and this should be remembered and reflected when it comes to things like top performer awards and company funded events
    The existing pension scheme needs to be looked at urgently

Feb 10, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

Indeed, the Top Performers incentive is aimed specifically at our sales teams, but we have recently relaunched the business-wide recognition scheme as SCC Champions
    ... More