SCL Health System

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
2.3

Mike Slubowski

Intern: perks of this company is great, but however I saw many people with many complaints.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at SCL Health System as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great company with many events, like corporate will host many great events internal management is fairly lacking.

Cons

Horrible groups of management, managers are not held accountable for their actions and play favorites. They refuse to listen to the concerns of any of their employees and make your life miserable if you do not conform to their demands.

Excellent Hospital Committed to Excellent Care

Current Employee - Phlebotomist  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Denver, CO

I have been working at SCL Health System part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love our environment. They practice what they preach, kindness towards each other as well as our patients. They are committed to the person, not just their body. Our patients are people, not a number, not a dollar sign. I leave work feeling good about what I have contributed. Benefits are great.

Cons

The hiring process took a month.

Hire a new company to d back ground checks faster!

Average company, some great people, a nice place to work for just a few years, unsure of the future.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at SCL Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am lucky. I work with caring, hard-working people and have a manager I trust.

I am offered flexibility in my work schedule which is invaluable to me. This is the number one reason I stay here and work hard. It would be nice to see this offered to more people as it's often more important than things that cost money.

I am content with my salary. Make sure you are hired with a salary you are happy with because merit increases are very small and bonuses are non-existent for most.

The current Denver location is ideal, but that will change soon.

I feel that my health insurance is quite good and reasonably priced. The premiums cost me more than they did with my prior employer, but the company offers an HRA which helps.

Cons

I distrust senior leadership. Open communication is encouraged, but the trust is just not there so nobody speaks up. Leadership and HR go through the motions of sending out surveys, but then we either don't hear the results, or they don't take action on what associates want.

Adding to the distrust, senior leadership approved large discretionary bonuses when our financial results were poor. Certain individuals responsible for the areas where performance was especially bad were not only given their large bonuses, but were promoted.

Analysis paralysis. It's becoming increasingly difficult to get things done as CRITICAL projects are analyzed to death before moving forward.

PTO accrual is low and not competitive; it may be competitive for hospital staff, but is not for "corporate" employees who can find jobs in any industry. Separate the Holiday time from the PTO for corporate staff to make the time off more transparent.

Direction from leadership changes frequently and is often unclear.

We are relocating to Broomfield from Denver in a year and I expect a lot of regrettable turnover due to this. It's a shame that we have spent the past two years building some great teams and are about to see them fall apart. Other than us all being together, which we won't be, the purpose of this move has not been explained. This is fortunate for most of our executives who live on the north end of town. I wonder how they knew well before any decision was finalized.

For being in the healthcare industry there is no apparent interest in caring for employees' health. There is no budget for training/education for corporate staff.

No development / career advancement opportunities. I can't imagine staying here for more than 5 years since there is no ability to grow.

Build trust by being true to our values and listening to associates.

Please review PTO! We have lost employees to rapidly expanding non-profit Catholic healthcare system in the south Denver area who offers a MUCH more generous program. We have provided this feedback to HR but still no changes or any communication.

Offer some incentives to keep the good people we have at System Services. Turnover is already so high, with the move to Broomfield it's not going to be any better. Offer more work from home options or flexible schedules (4 10s, 9/80s, etc.).

Offer reimbursements for gym memberships, or other incentives to get people active. Offer onsite fitness classes. A healthy workforce is a productive one.

Offer reimbursement for training/education/licensures, etc.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can't trust leadership, CEO making poor choices

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at SCL Health System full-time

Pros

Good pay and flexible work life balance. I like my coworkers.

Cons

Leadership talks about Stewardship and the Mission, but their actions speak otherwise. The CEO is making poor decisions and not leading the company in the right direction. The upcoming move to Broomfield is a highly unpopular decision with many associates and even within the C suite. No one in a leadership position is willing to make decisions and force centralization of control. Decisions and projects take a long time to complete because buy in is required from multiple stakeholders, all with different agendas. Communication is vague and processes are non existent.

The board needs to clean house and get strong leaders with a clear vision that aligns with the Mission.

Great people but every decision takes forever to be made.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at SCL Health System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and caring. For the most part, the people seem interested in doing a good job and in doing the right thing.

Cons

Management is pretty wishy washy -- no one wants to make a decision. Every decision is made by committee, but it's taken to extremes. There are so many levels of approval to go through for anything and everything nothing ends up getting done.

Cut the staff at the STSC and get some people in there who actually DO THEIR JOB!

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Billing  in  Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Billing in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at SCL Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours at the Revenue Service Center.

Cons

PTO (time off) accrual is low.

Pay attention to employee needs. Hospital based PTO does not apply in a business environment such as the RSC.

Terrible group of inexperienced managers

Former Employee - Staff RN  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at SCL Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good employees that care about patients and their safety.

Cons

Seems that certain areas within the system have hired a group of managers without any previous (management) experience. They not only lack management experience but either have not had experience or are seriously lacking the experience in the areas in which the employees they manage works. There has been huge retaliations against any employees that voice concerns about patient safety. The employees that speak up for patient safety eventually are terminated and then denied unemployment. And to call themselves a "christian" company? This company lacks integrity and collaborates stories to cover up serious lacking of patient safety.

New management is needed badly. It's a small medical community and it seems your reputation is very well known. Specific managers names are well known and for these managers to find work elsewhere is likely going to be hard for them.

A company headed in the wrong direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at SCL Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My immediate group and managers are good, however they can't make up for upper management. Benefits are okay.

Cons

No career path for my position, with no chance for salary increases. The company has never fully integrated from the merger several years ago and the current CEO is leading the company down the wrong path. No true concern for employees despite the constant lip service to the company mission and values. They send out the annual survey to all associates, but never listen to the feedback.

Replace the CEO before it's too late. In the midst of financially tough period, he singularly decided to move the company from downtown to Broomfield not listening to the advice of his senior leadership team. This move will cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars in move costs when they can ill afford them as well as a high percentage of employees leaving when they cannot afford the turnover.

"Messy merger" problems go on for years

I have been working at SCL Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of job opportunities within the organization due to the turnover they are experiencing. Organizational mission vision values are well defined even though it is the only thing that is well defined.

Cons

Very hard to have any work life balance. SCL Health System is not for profit, but the top management actions indicate that the bottom line is their only motivating factor. No organizational wide defined policies and procedures, due to the poor leadership of the merger that happened years ago. A lot of times, departments work in silos, and point fingers at each other for things that are not working.

Take ownership of the organizational wide needs and problems, and start taking actions that would benefit the long term future of the organization rather than focus on the short term bottom line numbers.

Uncharitable sisters

Current Employee - Patient Care  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Patient Care in Denver, CO

I have been working at SCL Health System part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great colleagues who build their own culture, good location

Cons

culture, leadership, management, employees undervalued

take care of your employees in order to take care of the bottom line; unhappy employees make for unhappy patients, which affects your #1 priority-the bottom line.

Worked for SCL Health System? Contribute to the Community!