SCO Family of Services

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.3

Gail B. Nayowith

Meaningful but hard to make chages

Former Employee - Case Worker  in  Mineola, NY
    Former Employee - Case Worker in Mineola, NY

I worked at SCO Family of Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Doing something good for the less privileged population. It aids in your personal growth to help these people and seeing what other people go through. Good benefits.

Cons

Leadership is very hierarchical and does not allow for open communication. The compensation is not so good, but it is not that unusual in the field of social work.very high turn over rate and that makes it hard to make meaningful impact on your clients.

Respect your staff more and try not to be authoritative. And too much work load causes stress in the underpaid staff

It wasn't that great

Current Employee - Group Leader  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay, can be a fun environment esp when interacting with the kids

Cons

not enough flexible hours

Take care of the employees, invest in them more

Working at SCO was good for the most part.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at SCO Family of Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn new things.
    Tons of opportunities to get involved in various roles and projects that can be applicable to career growth.

Cons

No support from upper level management. Directors/Supervisors are given free reign to do as they please often inappropriately. Concerns and complaints when brought to upper level management are either ignored or routed back to the director/supervisor in question. The worker is always wrong.

Listen to your first line staff, they are the ones that are most in the know and can provide first hand accounts on what needs to be improved and what they need to provide the quality services that you pride yourselves on. Your directors/supervisors do not make the agency great your first line does, they represent your mission on a constant basis. They deserve the acknowledgment and praise not your directors/supervisors that sit behind their desks passing judgement and abusing their power.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Diversity

Current Employee - Support  in  Brentwood, NY
    Current Employee - Support in Brentwood, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time

Pros

Diversity in clientele and ability to bring to them into the community.

Cons

No support from management, pay is ridiculously low and expectation are ridiculously high~

Expressive Therapist to traumatized youth in Foster Care

I have been working at SCO Family of Services

Pros

The most rewarding of opportunities to be of service to a child's life I could ever think of.

Cons

Demanding, rigorous commute and one of the most difficult places to live in the world- NYC but worth every minute.

Care for opening your mind to new ways of supporting our youth.

You definitely get to learn a lot if you are interested in social services.

Current Employee - Advocate Counselor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advocate Counselor in New York, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A good amount of vacation time and awesome co workers. People are friendly and it is a big agency spread throughout Brooklyn and Queens

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth. unless you are interested in the foster care population it is hard for you to move around the agency.

Case Worker

Former Employee - Case Worker  in  Brentwood, NY
    Former Employee - Case Worker in Brentwood, NY

I worked at SCO Family of Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent salary, benefits, feel good place, co workers

Cons

Driving, large caseload, reimbursement, client base, growth

A great fit for my personality, values, and career goals

Current Employee - Communications Specialist  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time

Pros

Across the board, anyone who works here will tell you that we do great work in the community and have a measurable positive impact on the lives of tens of thousands of NYers each year. It's easy to feel good about the contributions we make as members of this organization.

I also really appreciate the autonomy I have in my current position, and the receptiveness of my colleagues and even upper management to hearing my ideas and to trying new things. I really get to be a Jill of all trades, with numerous opportunities to develop my skills in a variety of areas, as well as regular opportunities to continue learning about the ins and outs of the human services field.

I see this as an exciting time to work at SCO, given the great improvements that have been made from an operations standpoint in recent years, and the positive trajectory the organization is on under the strong leadership of Executive Director Gail Nayowith and others. I truly believe that SCO's leadership is as dedicated to making SCO an even more effective nonprofit and a great place to work, as our font-line employees are dedicated to providing the best care possible to those we serve.

Cons

SCO has massive reach, which on the one hand is great, because it allows our programs to help so many across such a wide geography. On the other hand, it presents a challenge when it comes to business infrastructure and to efficient communication among all 5,000 employees. Again, this is an area in which SCO has made great strides in recent years, but it will need to continue to be an area of focus so that this progress can be built upon.

While nearly everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful, things can feel a bit silo'd off by program or office location. Having such a variety of programs and locations comes with obvious benefits (hello 20 minute commute!), but creating the kind of unified culture I've experienced in previous jobs with just one central office, is a much taller order for an organization with such a geographic spread.

Continue to work toward a more unified organization and cohesive culture, with more streamlined internal infrastructure and more open and efficient communications among all parts of the organization and its employees.

No raise in 3 years..none in near future

I have been working at SCO Family of Services

Pros

Clients appreciate u but pay is horrible

Cons

Pay and cases too far and not paid to travel from case to case

Do not tell people when hired on there is a raise every year when there isnt

Low Salary & High expectations for an Agency this size !

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule to suit both your professional and personal life. Good coworkers.

Cons

The salary by far is the lowest for an agency this size. There are NO cost of living increases, NO bonuses, NO across the board raises (6yrs and counting) or opportunities for advancement. You feel stagnant while you are there. They continue to say that there is no money but open up new programs and hire people. No money usually means a hiring freeze, that would show that the budget is strained. No tuition reimbursement unless you want to be a Caseworker. For which SCO pays their Caseworkers the lowest of all Foster Care agencies in NYC. Does not offer transit chek. Extremely High turnover rate.

If there is no money to offer permanent raises then at least give a holiday bonus check. Management does not feel the effects of the economy because they are paid well. But for the workers making 20,30 & 40k with families to feed, think about how no raises affects them. Also, the training Dept. needs to offer beneficial trainings such as CPR and maybe a defensive drivers course. It would help employees get a discount on their car insurance and teach those who drive agency vehicles better habits. A win for both!

Worked for SCO Family of Services? Contribute to the Community!