SCO Family of Services Reviews

Doug O'Dell

1. Satisfying work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, great co-workers. My co-workers and leadership tends to be forward thinking and very committed to the well-being of the people we serve. .The CEO is very accessible and is always willing to listen and takes into account what staff has to say. The agency has a clear mission and set of values The staff is treated respectfully.

Cons

Very large organization. May be hard to comprehend at the very beginning. In terms of salaries, salary increases have not kept pace with inflation but this is true of most non-profits with government contracts.

Advice to Management

Please continue to pursue alternative funding opportunities so that programs can achieve greater outcomes. These are challenging times for non-profits with lots of changes in they way government funds programs

2. Amazing company to work for

Current Employee - Administration in Glen Cove, NY
    Current Employee - Administration in Glen Cove, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, TEAM players, family, great opportunities for growth

Cons

Nothing amazing company as is

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. Case planner

Current Employee - Case Worker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Case Worker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of trainings Flexible hours Monthly metro card Nearby cases

Cons

Needs better benefits Paper work Workers need their own office and not cubbies!!

5. Residential Mental Health Worker

Former Employee - Direct Care Worker in Cambria Heights, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Care Worker in Cambria Heights, NY

I worked at SCO Family of Services (More than a year)

Pros

The adolescents that we were able to help by providing the services needed for them to survive in a community setting.

Cons

The downside was seeing some of the children age out of the program and not really being able to know how they are doing after a while.

6. Good place to work, committed to employees

Former Employee - Caseworker
    Former Employee - Caseworker

I worked at SCO Family of Services

Pros

Growth opportunities, commitment to staff

Cons

Salaries were a struggle, high amount of work

7. good

I have been working at SCO Family of Services

Pros

It is a family setting company

Cons

If you have a family, the hour aren't to great.

8. Satisfying and supportive experience.

Current Employee - Individualized Care Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Individualized Care Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership is very progressive and allows acknowledges the suggestions and opinions of staff as valuable contributions to the direction of agency policy and procedures. Staff is friendly and supportive, and affords opportunities of vocational growth and development.

Cons

Although the job is challenging and can be very stressful. The company can may be able to help ease the stressors of front line workers by creating opportunities for relaxation and therapeutic discussion and elaboration of staff experiences.

SCO Family of Services Response

Jul 29, 2014 – Communications

Thank you for sharing your ideas. It’s great to hear that you’ve found the leadership at SCO Family of Services to be receptive to staff opinions and suggestions, and that you’ve been able to take ... More

A great fit for my personality, values, and career goals

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time

Pros

Across the board, anyone who works here will tell you that we do great work in the community and have a measurable positive impact on the lives of tens of thousands of NYers each year. It's easy to feel good about the contributions we make as members of this organization. I also really appreciate the autonomy I have in my current position, and the receptiveness of my colleagues and even upper management to hearing my ideas and to trying new things. I really get to be a Jill of all trades, with numerous opportunities to develop my skills in a variety of areas, as well as regular opportunities to continue learning about the ins and outs of the human services field. I see this as an exciting time to work at SCO, given the great improvements that have been made from an operations standpoint in recent years, and the positive trajectory the organization is on under the strong leadership of Executive Director Gail Nayowith and others. I truly believe that SCO's leadership is as dedicated to making SCO an even more effective nonprofit and a great place to work, as our font-line employees are dedicated to providing the best care possible to those we serve.

Cons

SCO has massive reach, which on the one hand is great, because it allows our programs to help so many across such a wide geography. On the other hand, it presents a challenge when it comes to business infrastructure and to efficient communication among all 5,000 employees. Again, this is an area in which SCO has made great strides in recent years, but it will need to continue to be an area of focus so that this progress can be built upon. While nearly everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful, things can feel a bit silo'd off by program or office location. Having such a variety of programs and locations comes with obvious benefits (hello 20 minute commute!), but creating the kind of unified culture I've experienced in previous jobs with just one central office, is a much taller order for an organization with such a geographic spread.

Advice to Management

Continue to work toward a more unified organization and cohesive culture, with more streamlined internal infrastructure and more open and efficient communications among all parts of the organization and its employees.

10. A opportunity for growth in social services...

I have been working at SCO Family of Services

Pros

Although this job is a case management position, it is less stressful than working for preventive services or foster care because the Bridges to Health program only allows each Health Care Integrator to have 6 individual clients.

Cons

The work environment was very "catty".

Advice to Management

Try harder to enforce a professional work place culture.

11. Great experience

Former Employee - Day Habilitation
    Former Employee - Day Habilitation

I worked at SCO Family of Services

Pros

Earning great experience Occasional training is provided Work is mostly independent Paperwork is minimal

Cons

completing paperwork Pay is not great Driving clients in personal car

Advice to Management

Increase trainings

RSS Feed </> Embed