SCO Family of Services

www.sco.org

SCO Family of Services Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
SCO Family of Services – “SCO staff pride themselves on doing whatever it…”

SCO Family of Services – “SCO staff pride themselves on doing whatever it…”

Gail B. Nayowith

A great fit for my personality, values, and career goals

Communications Specialist (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsAcross the board, anyone who works here will tell you that we do great work in the community and have a measurable positive impact on the lives of tens of thousands of NYers each year. It's easy to feel good about the contributions we make as members of this organization.

I also really appreciate the autonomy I have in my current position, and the receptiveness of my colleagues and even upper management to hearing my ideas and to trying new things. I really get to be a Jill of all trades, with numerous opportunities to develop my skills in a variety of areas, as well as regular opportunities to continue learning about the ins and outs of the human services field.

I see this as an exciting time to work at SCO, given the great improvements that have been made from an operations standpoint in recent years, and the positive trajectory the organization is on under the strong leadership of Executive Director Gail Nayowith and others. I truly believe that SCO's leadership is as dedicated to making SCO an even more effective nonprofit and a great place to work, as our font-line employees are dedicated to providing the best care possible to those we serve.

ConsSCO has massive reach, which on the one hand is great, because it allows our programs to help so many across such a wide geography. On the other hand, it presents a challenge when it comes to business infrastructure and to efficient communication among all 5,000 employees. Again, this is an area in which SCO has made great strides in recent years, but it will need to continue to be an area of focus so that this progress can be built upon.

While nearly everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful, things can feel a bit silo'd off by program or office location. Having such a variety of programs and locations comes with obvious benefits (hello 20 minute commute!), but creating the kind of unified culture I've experienced in previous jobs with just one central office, is a much taller order for an organization with such a geographic spread.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work toward a more unified organization and cohesive culture, with more streamlined internal infrastructure and more open and efficient communications among all parts of the organization and its employees.

Zero Stars

Foster Care Caseworker (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsCoworkers are very supportive and understanding.

ConsI made a very big mistake taking this job. The case loads can be very demanding, especially if you have cases in different boroughs. Management does not give a single dam about the stress levels of their caseworkers, and flat out ignore legitimate concerns/complaints. The turnover rate is very high, but I have been told from the older workers that it recently got very unorganized and bad only this year. Do not work here. Work anywhere else. Stay far away from this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some interns or part-timers to supervise visits and you would literally make every caseworker happy.

Jul 29, 2014Communications

SCO Family of Services has prioritized making our organization a great place to work, and we appreciate your taking the time to discuss your concerns. We’re glad to hear that you've found your ... More

Not a great place

ProsFlexible in scheduling and working with great people

ConsPoor pay, unrealistic professional goals, horrible management, no room for promitions, no raises and does not maintain offices well.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the field workers rather than the higher-ups.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

worked with children and families

Case Worker (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prostraining opportunities, many people care about the mission and clients, some amazingly dedicated staff who work long hours, beyond their schedule to meet clients needs

Conslack of support by senior management, people are overworked and burn out and then leave.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many rules, some don't actually make sense on a program level and waste time. need better communication between the main office and workers in the field

A challenging and unsupportive environment with little room to grow.

Case Manager (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe learning curve is incredible, the amount you learn about social work and the foster care system more specifically is amazing. You can definitely grow from the experience you gain working here and you really learn the ins and out of case management.

ConsThere is not enough time in the day to complete all of your tasks. The work environment is very noisy and there is a seeming lack of transparency, communication, and respect for staff on behalf of the management. The pay is awful, only take on this job for their experience or if you are truly devoted to helping foster involved youth and families.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak to direct casework staff regarding new policies and paperwork directly versus sending out emails when the time comes for an audit. Work on creating and fostering a supportive envirpenmtn with your case work staff where staff feels appreciated for their work, and know the faces of the upper management and feels some seeming connection. Communicatean

Jul 29, 2014Communications

Thank you for your comments. It’s great to hear that you’ve been able to learn and grow so much while working at SCO. Making SCO a great place to work is one of our four Strategic Plan goals ... More

Lots of great staff, but weak on practice

ProsThere are wonderful people at SCO and some good work is happening Opportunities to offer families a range of programs. Some parts of the agency offer flexibility for work family balance.

ConsThe agency has gotten too big. There are areas of poor leadership and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your line workers. Management tends to be very top down.

Jul 29, 2014Communications

Thank you for sharing your comments. As you have noted, SCO Family of Services is a large organization. We are proud to have the capacity of serving 60,000 vulnerable children, teens, families and ... More

Terrible experience

Case Worker (Former Employee) Jamaica, NY

ProsThe job is flexible.
    -4 weeks vacation and 12 sick time
    -Family friendly
    -training is good

ConsNo support
    -Management team are horrible
    -The pay is low from 32,000-38,000 (if you have a MSW)
    -You do not see your benefits until after 6 months. This period is when you cumulative vacation, which sucks

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople would stay if the pay is right and employees are treated right.

Too Political but some departments have good leadership others the worst...

Program Director (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsSolid NGO, great CEO not so good second level leadership

ConsPolitical some of the new leadership doesn't match the organizational culture and tends to be more talk thn walk

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to look at leaders in Early Childhood to ensure more walk tahn talk

Satisfying and supportive experience.

Individualized Care Coordinator (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe leadership is very progressive and allows acknowledges the suggestions and opinions of staff as valuable contributions to the direction of agency policy and procedures. Staff is friendly and supportive, and affords opportunities of vocational growth and development.

ConsAlthough the job is challenging and can be very stressful. The company can may be able to help ease the stressors of front line workers by creating opportunities for relaxation and therapeutic discussion and elaboration of staff experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company can may be able to help ease the stressors of front line workers by creating opportunities for relaxation and therapeutic discussion and elaboration of staff experiences.

Jul 29, 2014Communications

Thank you for sharing your ideas. It’s great to hear that you’ve found the leadership at SCO Family of Services to be receptive to staff opinions and suggestions, and that you’ve been able to take ... More

WORST JOB EVER!

Finance (Former Employee) Glen Cove, NY

ProsNot many PROS - a few really hard workers.

ConsIf you are going into the Finance area think twice - especially if you are not a "Friend" of the management team. The worst management team I have ever worked with!! Absolutely horrible!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of your butts and get real. You are so good to the consumers but you are terrible to the people that run your organization!! You are evil and mean!!

Worked for SCO Family of Services? Contribute to the Community!