SCS Engineers

Updated May 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Walsh

Strong company on verge of growing up

ProsGreat core competencies, and the companies work ethic and culture really make this a place that is desirable. They are leaders in their field of Solid Waste and are not afraid to test new markets or industries to help with the growth of this firm.

ConsOld school mentality, afraid to change, seems like every department and group are out for themselves and what they can do to better themselves without understanding all groups and divisions and what is needed to fully create a well rounded successful working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow specialists in areas room to grow and give them tools necessary to do so

It was great until recently.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThey do not hire and fire quickly. ESOP. Annual bonuses if office maintains at least a 4 percent profit. Lots of flexibility in working from home.

ConsAfter 10 years was put on part time. Very top heavy. Very little room for growth. Poor marketing skills. Does not send employees to training very often.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at each individual before making changes to the employee (i.e. full time to part time).

Employee-Owned

Amin/Marketing Assistant (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsNot many companies out there believe all employees should share in the success of the company. This one does. I wish more companies would have the same attitude. They do great work and have a sense of family.

ConsHmm...Can't really think of one because overall the benefits were really good. I guess I could complain that they don't pay 100% medical, but again, being employee-owned made up for that.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of Training in my department and in many others.

Somebody Who Needed Training like the many others before me (Former Employee)
    Long Beach, CA

ProsEmployee owned and a great place in theory. Also, each department runs like a separate company. So if you already know your job and have 5 + years under your belt in your exact job duties, then you will love this place. But when you read a review that is great, please know that it is great in that department only and does not speak for any other department.

ConsGreat place for those who started out years ago with the company and who were trained by the founders. Probably the best unit for training is the Landfill section and that area of the building--Julio's unit etc. Clearly they train their people. But there are other departments that have no clue that they need to be accountable for training people. Some are good workers themselves, but clearly are self consumed with their own work and progress, because they have zero clue that they MUST train new workers.

Also, there are several riffs in various sections of the company. There are numerous departments to work for at SCS, and SOME people don't even talk to other departments. Just weird stuff. I truly believe that some of the other units have no idea how screwed up their fellow units are, it's that divisive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo an honest company wide review polling employees about training and areas of improvement they see would be important to address. Find out which units (managers) show weakness. Because when all the old timers retire in the next few years in Long Beach? Who will know what is going on? Not but a few. I can assure you. And it is all because you have incompetent managers who do not know how to train their units to do their job. Period.

Decent Company

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Reston, VA

Prosopportunities to work on many different projects, lots of smart people work there

ConsHard to advance, pressure to bring in projcets

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on career development.

Great place to work.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Long Beach, CA

ProsGreat people, great management. Excellent place to work. Awsome Management.

Consnone so far. and not expecting any.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great jobs.

Lack of opportunity for growth and poor management (direct supervisor through HR) made this a poor work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsRelatively relaxed environment, travel for a variety of projects.

ConsPoor mentoring of direct supervisor and lack of support for professional growth.

Incestuous favoritism, Poor training, poor management, poor HR staff...made for a poor experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has an overall relaxed work environment.

ConsThere are a "protected" few in the company who seem to run all operations, regardless of unethical behavior or lack of skill. No advancement in sight. Some HR practices, fair treatment, accountability and confidentiality is a joke

Worked for SCS Engineers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SCS Engineers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SCS Engineers CEO Jim Walsh. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by SCS Engineers employees.