SCVNGR
www.scvngr.com Boston, MA 16 to 50 Employees

SCVNGR Reviews

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Seth Priebatsch

Fun startup environment, fast growing

MBA Intern (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat people, great team, very fun every day. People are engaged and the CEO is great and very accessible. The company likes to innovate and is willing to listen to anybody and their ideas. Plus lunches are free!

ConsDysfunctional teams from time to time, lots of shuffling around. From time to time there seems to be poor direction, especially for sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementSCVNGR/LevelUp needs a clear mission. As of now, one founder seems to be looking to build a real company, while the other wants a quick pay day exit. Once on the same page, maybe the day to day mission will make more sense.

Lots of Potential, Not Well Managed

Boston, MA

ProsLots of young, bright employees, great benefits, flexible schedule

ConsOverall lack of communication and focus

Advice to Senior ManagementLevelUp/SCVNGR definitely has potential as a product, that I truly believe. However, the management is not focused at all. They constantly change their strategy and lack communication with all facets of the company. They're also constantly putting off some seriously needed updates to the product itself - things that have been requested for over a year at this point.

When I first started working here I was extremely excited, and now I'm kind of lackluster about the whole thing. The company will still probably be in business for another year, but I don't know about the future beyond that. It's frustrating when you see all the issues within the company, but you can't do a thing about it. LevelUp is really good at hiring talented people; they're also really bad at keeping them.

Very fun company

Sales Rockstar (Current Employee)

Prosawesome employees, great leadership, fun environment

Consdisorganized and still trying to figure out their strategy

Advice to Senior Managementsome very smart people in this group, hopefully they get it right at some point

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Transparency doesn't exist and neither does a road to profitability.

Boston, MA

Pros- Working with a young and talented team.
    - Being part of an emerging market and the excitement that paving the way for a new technology brings.
    - Autonomy
    - Solid benefits

Cons- Low pay and commission is always changing in a negative way.
    - Equity is just a carrot that they dangle. Employees are promised to recieve a portion of it after 6 months and after a year most employees have seen nothing.
    - Management is inept and they do not possess the skills necessary to develop employees and drive the change needed for LevelUp to succeed.
    - Lying is synonymous with this company. The public is told inflated numbers about merchants and users.
    - They have been rapidly laying of employees across the board.
    - The product is not ready for the public. It is too inconsistent and glitchy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to work more closely with your employees. You are out of touch and have no clue that the whole company has one foot out of the door.

Woof

Promotions Specialist (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsYou'll quickly learn what to avoid in all future employment opportunities!

ConsTerrible management team that takes advantage of each new crop of Boston college grads. You'll work grueling hours for little pay and no thanks, and there's a good chance you'll be on a team that gets wholesale laid off right before your 1 year mark. No focus, no direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've run every talented team member you had out of the building, several times over. Good luck with what's left of your team and reputation!

It's a summer camp, not a work place.

Senior Enterprise Sales (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsLots of young good looking employees, free food, good health benefits...

ConsThey do not treat their employees with any shred of respect. You will be pushed to hit unreachable goals in sales and be subject to monthly changes in commission. Upper management will fabricate numbers to the press as well as internally promote lying to customers to make a sale.

The office morale is terrible. People are being fired or quitting weekly and there is a constant fear of losing your job. Look at the profile of the employees still there, there is no real experience. The only experienced individuals are pushed out and have their hands tied by the only decision maker in the company.

Compensation does not reflect the work. For a Northeastern Co-op it is great money, but for a full time employee you will never hit the commission earnings projected in your offer letter. Better companies, better compensation, better leadership around every corner.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have fired or let walk out the door every individual with talent. You can only fake it for so long before you run out of money. Come clean about your financial health and develop a road to revenue. Employees aren't stupid, we know how much money we are losing, and how little money we are making.

TheLevelUp--Personable employees, bad higher ups

Sales Rockstar (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsReally fun, energetic company who hires fun, energetic people. Pay is competitive, commission structure in sales wasn't built for tacking on more than 10,000 extra per year--however the company changes various structures so quickly maybe it's changed by now.

One of the best internships you can get if you're a Northeastern student and going on Co-Op-- pays very well.

Consthey fire people on short notice, dragged along a group of intern-to-full-times and instead of offering them full time jobs or letting them go, they just extended the sales intern contracts for another three months to "test" them out some more. Gave them a little bit more money but not worth it.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more transparent with your employees

A fun place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsYou'll be hard pressed to find a more casual work environment. Everyone wears jeans, they provided a lot of food, and it is incredibly social. You're given a lot of responsibilities which forces you to learn and adapt quickly, and really prepares you for roles at other companies.

ConsBecause it's a startup, sometimes it's a little disorganized. By the end of 2012 they were just scraping together a HR team, people's performance bonuses had be pushed back and, although the Chief Ninja often promotes transparency, there seemed to be things going on behind the scenes that weren't communicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization and training for all management positions will go a long way. The company will be in an even stronger place!

A 7 month long roller coaster ride (in a good way!)

Sales Rockstar (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat energy, young company, you can work as hard as you want and you will keep getting new opportunities. Accomplishment is encouraged and appreciated, casual and direct communication is the norm, and it's a great way to learn a lot in a short amount of time.

ConsPeople burn out pretty regularly (or they used to). A lot of stuff happens at the top and then people just disappear. Room for improvement with creating processes and being more organized.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. Don't over-work employees. Hire talent and reward them - aim to keep them around for the long-term.

Can't believe I stayed as long as I did

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsWas once a darling of the media, so relatively high profile. They provide lots of free food and drinks (engineers got free lunches every day). Paid healthcare and dental.

ConsThe cult of personality around the CEO is incredibly stifling. Employee input is never sought, and is rarely even tolerated. The expectation is that you will work long days without question or hesitation (12+ hours for 7 days a week for one sustained period for Engineers during a 2 month product build). Work/life balance was nonexistent. While I was there, the CEO actively and overtly initiated a campaign to pit engineering staff and the head of engineering against each other. He treats employees as pawns in an egotistical machiavellian game. Just plain awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with some respect.

Worked for SCVNGR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SCVNGR reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SCVNGR CEO Seth Priebatsch. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by SCVNGR employees.