SDII Global

Updated June 4, 2014
Updated June 4, 2014

3.2

David Howard

Great company and great opportunity for professional development!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

Working at SDII for 10+ years, I can...from factual personal experience...say without question, that you can work your way from the field to an executive/management position in this company. Hard work and dedication to the corporate philosophy is critical to recognition and advancement. Quarterly meetings, shout out boards, department lunches, emails, and even networking social get-togethers are all utilized as ways to communicate to and with staff. The company even has a Positive Enhancement Committee with representatives from management and every department in the company to look for ways to enhance our daily work environment and culture. Outstanding employee benefits package.

Cons

There will undeniably be an expectation to work hard, and meet goals that are clearly set before each individual employee. If you are looking for a job to simply collect a paycheck, than this is not the place for you. Passion for your work, and drive to excel in your job duties are prerequisites...That is great for some, and not so great for others.

Keep the communication lines flowing. Keep expanding our service areas and offerings to continue to grow this great company, a company that has become such an integral part to so many of our lives.

SDII continuing to evolve!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Tampa, FL

Pros

Office surroundings, fitness center and gym, company's current and future plans...

Cons

Resources, diversification of company offerings.

Keep listening! Keep looking for opportunities for the company to grow that will allow employees to grow with the company!

Great place to learn how to work in a fast paced environment, but there are some current internal struggles.

Pros

Gym provided, nice inside office spaces, generous benefit package, casual environment. If you excel in a fast-paced environment, this could be the company for you for a while.

Cons

Extreme lack of communication from upper management. Salaries lag market with certain positions until you reach a certain level/status. Not visually being in the office for excess hours can be misinterpreted as not working or being lazy. Complaining about being busy to others seems to be a solution for some.

Improve communication from the top, down. Collaborate with all members of management and team members for perspective. Implement professional development for staff that is working day and night for your missions. Don't lose all of the "family" feel, or you will lose some great employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent compnay to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexible hours, significant opportunity to employees with a strong work ethic and desire to succeed, growing organization with ample opportunity. Wonderful co-workers who are fun to work with!

Cons

Extremely fast paced, high productivity environment. This environment is great for some, but difficult for others.

Improve communication to staff in regard to company performance, i.e., set goals & communicate results. This would be motivating & would challenge the competitive staff to out perform past results. Provide a formal mentorship program to less experienced professionals, specifically in the Engineering and Geology arena.

The field geologist position is not one I would recommend.

Current Employee - Field Geologist  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Field Geologist in Tampa, FL

Pros

Field geologists, project managers and drillers are great people to work with. SDII also has great benefits offered to its employees.

Cons

The salary offered here is not proportionate to the amount of hours put in on a weekly basis. The normal work day is usually 10 hours or more. There is now a requirement that field workers have to work two Saturdays a month with no monetary compensation for this extra work. I have no problem going out of town but was constantly told I had to go out of town for multiple days the night before we had to leave with no forewarning. There never seems to be enough supplies in the warehouse. The per diem for out of town expenses is really low and maybe will cover a cheap dinner.

I have no problem working long days but would have appreciated getting some overtime or compensation. Keep the warehouse well stocked. Preplan out of town work so employees have forewarning to manage their lives.

A great opportunity for professional advancement

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Tampa, FL

Pros

There are many opportunities for professional advancement for engineers at SDII. By making a commitment to the engineering team and to company philosophies, professionals are provided with growing responsibility, leadership opportunities, and financial incentive. The benefits package includes a comprehensive wellness program, compensation for continuing education and professional licensure, and 401K matching. Exceptional effort is recognized and rewarded.

Cons

SDII requires that its professionals be highly productive as well as leaders in their field. This may induce considerable pressure on some under prepared professionals.

Continue to support the existing staff by hiring competent and highly motivated professionals with similar work ethic and commitment to company philosophies.

Thinking about working for SdII Global? Take your talents elsewhere.

Former Employee - Field Geologist  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Field Geologist in Tampa, FL

Pros

I really can't think of any reasons someone would want to work at Sdii. The project managers and field staff are all very nice people considering the poor pay, long hours, and difficult positions management often puts them in. You can't get fat because you will sweat way to much to put on much weight.

Cons

The hours and compensation are not adequate. The company regularaly tells you one thing and then does another. I have seen them fire unjustly and hire blindly. There is no career path available that an educated person would want to pursue. They give you absolutely no responsibility, but then consider you a "professional" therefore writing you off as a salried position in order to avoid compensating you for the crazy hours. You will not receive an honest paycheck. They expect you to go out of town for a week withouot notice and then give you a tiny per diem check which is really about half of what you necessarily will spend out of town. Most of the drilling staff is unhappy and certainly all of the geologists are disgruntled. Their main concern is whether you got the job done or not. You can go through an amazing amount of hell in order to finish a job and it will go unnoticed. Supplies are not available and the phrase "run it until it breaks" is heard regularly adding to an already unsafe working condition. You find yourself happy when you work a 10 hr day because there is a good chance you might work 17 hrs on a saturday and then come in on a monday and work 14, and then 12 on tuesday (these type conditions were par for the course). I could go on and on and on with the Cons but to sum it all up: DO NOT BRING YOUR TALENTS TO THIS COMPANY!

It is very simple. Pay some sort of OT time and stop telling us one thing and then doing another. Keep all of the money that we made for you at home. In other words: noone wants to see your boats, fine cars, RVs, Sea-do's, and the other millions you have made with our sweat. Make sure the basic supplies that are regularly needed are always available. Try preventative maintanance with the drilling rigs rather than running them until they break. Give the field geologists some responsibility. We did go to school and we can do more than break spoons and collect sand.

I agree with the Field Geologist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

SDII Global does often have positions open due to its high employee turnover rate so it is a good place for people new to the industry to get started.

Cons

The field team is treated terribly.

There is never any supplies in the warehouse so quite often drill crews must drive around for hours running errands and picking up things for the field management. Seeing as how the drill crews are paid by their footage then money is being lost while doing these run around trips. The lack of supplies also causes many many problems in the field. Rigs and trailers are always breaking, losing the crews more money.

Geologists are salaried so that the company can make them work 60-70 hour weeks with no extra compensation. Making the geologists work Saturdays with no extra compensation also seems unfair.

The per diem when sent out of town is $25 a day. A pitiful amount to feed yourself on every day.

There is also exclusive parties and trips for office employees but no such events for field staff. They are only occasionally invited to whole company events.

Pay Geologists hourly rates so they can collect on the 20+ hours of overtime they put in every week.

Keep a good inventory of supplies in the warehouse to drill staff don't have to run errands when they should be drilling.

Increase the per diem.

Either create field staff exclusive events or invite them to all company events. It makes them feel very under appreciated when they are excluded from events celebrating company success when they are the grinders that the company runs on.

Stop buying old refurbished rigs. They break all the time or are exceptionally slow.

Stop playing favorites with certain drillers.

I would not Recommend working for this company in field operations.

Current Employee - Field Geologist  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Field Geologist in Tampa, FL

Pros

Co-workers and field staff are enjoyable people and great to work with. For the most part, everyone gets along with each other and you will build great friendships. Project managers are very nice and are more then willing to help you with any type of dilema you may have out in the field.

Cons

As a field geologist you are paid with a salary, which is very unfortunate while working for this company. During the hiring interview I was told that I would be working between 45 to 50 hours per week, which is not bad. In actuality, I generally work between 60 to 70 per week with no overtime or compensation. The management is terrible. There is no consideration for the welfare of their employees. They are only driven by money and that is all they care about. Also, communication between management and employees is poor at best. For example, if they need you to go out of town or work on a Saturday, you will not find out until the very last minute. Morale of the field staff is very low. You are free to ask any employee who works in field operations how they feel about their company and almost all of them will give you the same response as I have.

Please treat your employees with more respect and show more sympathy and appreciation. We are working 10 to 12 hours a day in 95 degree weather with the occasional severe thunderstorm in order to complete projects in a timely manner. This is all for you to receive your very nice monthly bonus checks and we do not even get a thank you. So remember, we are out in the field in severe environmental conditions doing very hard physical labor in order to keep your company alive. A little appreciation and some compensaion will not break your bank account by any means.

If you want a job in geology, consider sdii

Current Employee - Geologist
    Current Employee - Geologist

Pros

I get what I deserve. Nothing more, nothing less. They provide me with an opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Working with some of the staff is a drag. Some of them expect to be handed everything, like they still live at home. They have a sense of entitlement that's disgusting.

Keep up the good fight

Worked for SDII Global? Contribute to the Community!