SDL Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

2.8

Mark Lancaster

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, social benefits, company is very well visible among its competitors (in 5 reviews)

• Many of the on the ground workers are great people and dedicated to their work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Insane turnover, mostly because some upper management (i (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours, salary not very high (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Archaic business ethic.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Superior, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the brightest and most interesting people I have worked with. Possibility to create change within the company. Decent benefits. Free coffee. Over all, slowly (very slowly) getting better, over the past several years...

Cons

Internal change will always be met with resistance. Sorely lacking company culture and loyalty. Disconnect within the internal lines of communication as a whole company. No motivating factors or incentives for employees to achieve.

This company has many resources which would allow the company to be successful, incentivize employees to go above and beyond. Currently there is absolutely no reason for anyone to do anything but match the status quo other than personal achievment. This company should be about empowering the employee, not by amusing the VPs of their whimsical wants.

Great organization with tremendous potential!

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at SDL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, management that is very employee focused, executive transparency, solid vision, room to grow for employees, great leadership. The office culture is extremely positive with a team focused mentality, and BBQ's, and snacks and office meetings.

Cons

I have not yet seen any as of yet

Continue the great work, the shift the company has gone through is working, the leadership team that's in place is one of the best I have ever seen!

Good company, Leader in the space

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leader in the space. Interesting technology and services. Open communications with management. Recent restructure appears to be effective. Relaxed.

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunity. Not a a lot of collaboration between division, which is too bad because there is a ton of synergy that could bring about many new large cross sell opportunities. This has tried to be fixed over the year, but still isn't quite there.

Continue to harp on fostering a more collaboration across division.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SDL is a highly political organization with some very strong products and services.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at SDL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very strong product lines. Awesome policies towards vacation/time off. Stable business. If this company could get out of it's own way there is a chance that they could be a REAL player in the CX space.

Cons

Bureaucracy like you read about in books. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone getting promoted.

A lot of people simply come to work at 9 and leave at 5. Not a very driven organization.

Collaborate more. Think long term with long term technical interrogations.

This company is not a good fit for ambitious people.

Management Mis-steps

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Superior, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Superior, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid reputation within localization industry. Customers say service and quality is strongest in industry. Overall customer experience management that gives customers overall global approach.

Cons

Reporting into a manager who can not be trusted or provide direction to team. Shot gun approach rather than focusing on a strategy and see where it goes. Commission plan is not set up for success.

Build a foundation of trust within teams. Have remote management meet with teams on a more regular basis.

Content&Analytics division is a professional, senior and committed division. I'm happy here!

I have been working at SDL full-time

Pros

Collegues, salary, freedom under responsibility, comission plan

Cons

The interior design in our office spaces could be modernized.

Invest more for employees to feel happy about the office environment

Great Company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at SDL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team environment and awesome managers. Reorganization of the company was tough on some employees, but the big picture is to create one great SDL. My Team goes on lunches and does activities that SDL sometimes funds. We also have regular company updates hosted by the CEO and Chief Executives. Most importantly, your voice is heard no matter your role at SDL. I have never felt that I couldn't speak up for fear that what I was saying wouldn't matter.

Cons

Sometimes I get cold in the office, thats about as bad as it gets. They give us all personal space heaters. I really enjoy working here.

Keep up the company updates and explanations to what the company is striving for next.

Content SDL employee!

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and pay, team cohesion is like a family. Company is very flexible and willing to assist you in any questions that you might have.

Cons

Understanding the complexity of the various products they offer.

none

Joined a company I think is positioned for big growth.

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at SDL full-time for less than a year

Pros

All the basics are here - good pay, good people, good benefits, etc. But you can find that in a lot of places. What I really like is where we are positioned in the marketplace and the opportunity in front of us. SDL has great products with strong competitive advantage - and they are getting better with integration. Management understands the challenges and opportunities in front of us and I see their actions backing up their strategy to help us grow.

Cons

This company has been through a lot of change in the past 18 months (some of it very tough for the people here - as a reader of these reviews has probably seen). And there are still things that need to be fixed and some people who carry some baggage from past experiences - and they likely have good reasons to. But so far I haven't seen any of that get in the way of us moving forward.

Believe in your Vision and Strategy and keep investing in the people that will make it happen.

not a grown up company; not a startup either

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

coworker are nice, friendly, and good to work with.

Cons

constantly changing corporate direction
    too many chiefs and not enough people to do the actual work
    lots of politics
    poor communication

Worked for SDL? Contribute to the Community!