SDL

Updated February 27, 2015
3.6

SDL Executive Chairman & CEO Mark Lancaster
Mark Lancaster

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, social benefits, company is very well visible among its competitors (in 6 reviews)

• For the most part, very nice people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management passes you on the hallway and never say "Hello" or look at you (in 9 reviews)

• Expected to work incredibly long hours, no rewards (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a great place to be Global!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SDL full-time

Pros

Good, trustworthy and knowledgeable people, both in leadership and employee roles, many of whom have worked with this company for many years--not just a few months. Excellent product and services vision and strategy that has put SDL in the pole position for Global Customer Experience. Web, knowledge, content, insights and analytics, languages--and the understanding to put it all together. And giving back to the community through the SDL Foundation, and support--no, the active encouragement--of employee's donation of time to worthy causes.

Cons

Global company, so you may need to be flexible in working hours. I don't think that's a con, just something to be aware of if you are not used to working in a global environment.

Keep doing what you're doing. All recent results show SDL heading in the right direction!

Challenging and fun company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO

I have been working at SDL

Pros

Always learning and the job is challenging enough to always be developing my skills and continuously pushing myself to grow. Great work is recognized and it's fairly easy to work your way up as long as you work hard, meet your objectives and understand what is needed from the company. Working environment is relaxed, but everyone works extremely hard (this is a challenging industry). Office is fun to work in because of the great employees.

Cons

There was a rough history in the Superior, CO office (2+ years ago) which the office has been working its way back from. A lot of employees have negative memories from that time (previous management who is no longer there) but the office has come a long way. Job can be stressful at time if you're not used to face paced project management work (but that's what makes this job rewarding too).

Innovative Growth Company Where Excellence Is Rewarded!

I have been working at SDL

Pros

SDL is a global company with more opportunity for personal development and business success than many companies! Your ideas are appreciate, hard work is rewarded and collaboration occurs daily. For a global company, you have access to your colleagues around the world, can get the assistance you need to meet your clients demands and go home to your family happy.

Cons

Internally, we have teams throughout the US and abroad, so being a bit flexible with time may be needed, but your time is also respected.

Thank you for being available to all teams!

Great culture, great people!

I have been working at SDL

Pros

SDL is a company filled with passionate, experienced people who enjoy their work. The culture is relaxed and friendly and most employees maintain a good work/life balance. Management does a good job in empowering their teams to be creative and drive innovation in how we do all our jobs which is truly one of the best parts of working here.

Cons

The customer experience space is fast paced and ever-evolving and so is SDL. Being able to respond to change quickly and adapt to new requirements can be challenging for some.

Keep up the good work on building a world-class organization and giving teams the resources and tools needed to drive success.

Great, collaborative environment to work!

Current Employee - Marketing Director
    Current Employee - Marketing Director

I have been working at SDL full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been a part of SDL for under a year, and can honestly say it's the most collaborative environment I've worked in - especially for a company this size. While the company has gone through tremendous change, the leadership team is all working toward the same business goals and clearly communicating that to the teams. The people here are fantastic- I have not seen any politics that come along with many enterprise companies- everyone is working together to succeed.

Cons

The company is a global organization, while work-life balance is easily achieved, flexibility for early or late meetings can be the norm for a global company such as SDL.

A truly global company with solid vision and flexible working environments

Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Director Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance,flexibility, people, vision, values, leadership, culture, medical benefits, salary/promotions

Cons

internal communications, professional development, review process

Good place to work!

I have been working at SDL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at SDL for 5 years. It's a great company to work for! Good pay and benefits, very flexible working environment, it's a global company which makes the work very interesting. I think the best thing about SDL is the people. Lots of hard working, smart people that care about the company.

Cons

SDL is a rapidly growing company so at times there can be lots of change, so you need to be adaptable.

Innovation is encouraged to be an individual contributor and team player! Everyone counts and can make a difference.

I have been working at SDL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

SDL is a great place to work. I've worked her for a total of 10 years and have watched the company evolve over the years to be very client and employee focused. SDL is also a very innovate company and each employee is encouraged to come up with their own ideas, solutions and best practices for helping solve our customers problems. SDL conducts an annual employee survey to get direct feedback on areas for improvement. Most companies wouldn't even ask, but SDL cares and takes this feedback to heart. The CEO refers to the employees as "SDL Family" and it's very true. Employees treat each other with respect and truly care about each other. Raises are given on an annual basis and the benefits are great!

Cons

There is a lot of pressure on Customer Satisfaction, which means that sometimes it leads to hours beyond the normal work hours to make sure the customers are happy.

Keep up the great work on focusing on happy customers and employees.

Doing the Right Thing!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I have been working at SDL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, culture, challenge, technology, variety, growth, impact, leadership, vision. The combination of all of these and the impact are the key reason I have stayed at SDL. SDL is a vibrant, fast paced culture- smart, fun, passionate, great people and collaborative. SDL employees are empowered to create value with a shared desired to progress together. Management is focused on latest trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them. The level of talent is incredibly high within all teams: Marketing, sales, account management, engineering, support, R&D, finance, executive leadership ..., you name it. Ample opportunities and support exist for growth and I’m excited to see the future of the company.

Cons

It's an evolving company and industry and if you aren’t up for change and aren’t adaptable this isn’t a place for you. We're growing very quickly so typical pains but is a nice problem.

Keep doing what you're doing! Continue to hire great people, trust in your employees - sticking to our values in planning and decision-making has served us well so far, and will keep us on the right track

SDL: A global software company where you can make your mark!

I have been working at SDL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SDL has a friendly and global corporate culture. Experienced software professionals in Sales, Marketing, and Development have been hired recently. In the time I have been here, I see the organization adopting best practices standards, growing to compete with much larger players in the software industry, but most importantly, I am proud to be associated with a company that thinks so much about our customers and partners.

There are many opportunities to grow at SDL. Due to its size, access to senior management is easy and anyone with good ideas is heard and encouraged.

SDL has a focus on its employees and within the communities in which they reside. Each office adopts a local charity every year.

Cons

SDL has global software products and is taking its seat at the Global table. However, there is room for improvement in internal processes and these are getting implemented (i.e. global collaborative tools).

Doing well: Love the sharing of information via the company updates, the Town Halls and the quarterly updates.

Needs Attention: Pay attention to speeding up the improvement of internal processes - many are very manual and regional in nature which cost time and money unnecessarily.

SDL Photos