SDLC Partners

SDLC Partners Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.0

SDLC Partners Principal Partners Chris Simchick, Scott Barnyak, & Christy Maruca
Chris Simchick, Scott Barnyak, & Christy Maruca

Perspective from somebody who worked for SDLC partners for more than 6 yrs

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Excellent Employers , excellent owners who truly cares for its employees
    * Great location
    * lots of opportunities for growth and career diversification
    * melting pots for great talents
    * competitive salary
    * transparent
    * atleast for some folks , there were and still are lots of good and interesting opportunities to learn from.
    * for a medium size organization , SDLC has presence in almost all aspects of Software Development Life Cycle - from Application development , mobile development to Automation testing , to proper project and program management , to Business Intelligence field etc.

I normally do not write review , but after reading some of the review in glassdoor , i felt like I should contribute. I have also moved on to some other organization , but I have mostly positive experience with SDLC. If you have issues with work life balance while working with client project , there is little any employer can do unless you take the initiative. Same goes for anybody who feels he/she has not been heard. This doesnt mean I never had any issues (nothing that cannot be managed if addresses in proper way)

Cons

* Some of its practice needs more diversification and better client base
    * Earlier they were dependent on only one client (mainly) , but now things are changing and SDLC is making its presence felt to other businesses within Pittsburgh. Still a bit more expansion is required when it comes to client base.
    * some of its strength can also be its weakness, like , it has presence only in Pittsburgh. Things are changing , but a little slower.
    * could stream line some of the HR process instead of doing things on ad-hoc basis. Although changes done in recent past are definitely in right direction.
    * Could have better process for Green Card processing (again this also has been addressed , so , not a con technically)
    * The office cubes could be bigger.

* keep doing what you are doing
    * Diversify more (maybe)
    * Need projects outside Pittsburgh as well.
    * Need to invest in employee training more so as to gain competitive edge.

Selfish company with disconnected workers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SDLC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent PTO allowances, and hey... at least you have a job.

Cons

SDLC is a company that cares, well, only about itself. They preach about being a "family", but other than the occasional picnic, everyone is disjointed and communication is at a minimum. A few years ago it was a much better place to work. But after losing many practice directors and managers over the last year or so, it's become unbearable. Which is why myself and many others are actively seeking employment elsewhere.

The benefits are TERRIBLE, they do not match on 401k, and lower-level management was told (during the last round of performance reviews) not to give out raises to anyone who did not overwhelmingly meet their goals. Dozens of workers received no raise (not even a raise to cover cost-of-living hikes), even though they did more than enough to earn one. Some of these managers actually left the company shortly afterwards, because of the terrible taste in their mouths from telling their workers they can't reward them for their hard work.

SDLC has - basically - only one Client: Highmark. If Highmark were to drop them, they would probably close up shop within the month. At least 90% of their business comes from one single client, and that is NOT a good business model to have.

If you're looking for a stressful job with no reward, bad benefits, no 401k matching, terrible managers and no security that they won't close their doors at a moment's notice, this is the place for you. If you enjoy a workforce that's about 80% overseas workers, with huge language barriers and a crab mentality, this is the place for you.

Otherwise, run far, far away from SDLC Partners.

Rethink the people you've put in charge. And stop trying to get the cheapest labor possible.

Good place to kick start your career

Former Employee - Consultant II  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smaller organizations can always provide better learning opportunities. Good exposure to clients at a relatively lower level in the org. Good work culture, lets you maintain a work life balance!

Cons

High dependancy on a single client.

Company could benefit from better leadership

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good from afar, but far from good.

Former Employee - Consultant II
    Former Employee - Consultant II

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

SDLC hires intelligent, hard working and personable people. The folks that you have the opportunity to work with are the biggest pro to this company.

Cons

SDLC is a self described 'pay for performance' organization. However, the only ones getting paid for the consultants performance are the partners. The raises are terrible and do not fall in line with the pay ranges given to new employees when they are hired. HR continuously makes up new procedures and changes rules for promotions and raises and the excuse is always that this is a 'new' company and they're working out kinks. After ten years in business, that excuse is no longer applicable. No 401k match and expensive health benefits.

Treat your people well and they will make sure you succeed.

Learned a lot, but poor compensation.

Former Employee - Consultant I  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant I in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had the chance to work on very large industry projects after starting in a true entry-level position.

Cons

Poor compensation and impossible to adjust if you started low. Majority of work is only for one client, so once you are slotted it can be difficult to move.

Your people are your product, start treating them like they are truly valuable, instead of just lip servicing the idea of a consultant.

Promising Company

I have been working at SDLC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for growth and learning.

Cons

Local only to Pittsburgh and nearby areas for now.

Communication Challenges, Low Morale

I have been working at SDLC Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart associates who are willing to work hard and learn. Recruiting does a good job of identifying strong candidates.

Cons

Leadership has a difficult time managing change and cannot handle open communication or difficult conversations. The organization is constantly concerned by risk rather than encouraging smart risk-taking to fuel growth. Company culture is subdued, morale is poor, and most high-potential employees are unhappy with future prospects. Within one year at the company I have seen many of the top performers move on to other companies out of frustration and a desire for career growth that they cannot attain at SDLC.

Consider how you manage leadership of the company... open the doors to fresh ideas, capital, and a bit of intelligent risk taking.

One client, no upward mobility.

Former Employee - Consultant I
    Former Employee - Consultant I

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Looks good on a resume, actually hires college grads/no experience. Flex schedule if with the right client, some jobs work from home. You don't actually DEAL with SDLC as you are the client site 100% (which is a good and bad thing)

Cons

No 401k match, communication is lacking, management takes forever to implement new ideas, your only communication with SDLC is by email and the quarterly meetings which you are NOT paid for, only in food and drinks. My specific department seems to be left "out to pasture". We were without leadership over 6 months and when we asked were continually told "work in progress". Seems like the draw of this company is you could eventually be hired with a pretty notable client, however, this client had been downsizing so this possibility seems to be fading. Do yourself a favor and just don't .... You'll be stuck in your position with no way out, even if you express interest in other positions/moving around.

Go elsewhere if you have the opportunity.

I have been working at SDLC Partners

Pros

Good place to get professional experience to start your career.

Cons

Terrible company culture and benefits. HR will claim that they are "looking into" providing better benefits during your interview and throughout your employment, but they are never put in place. "Pay for performance" raises are 3-4% max, with most getting less the 3, even if you surpass all of your goals. No company contribution to 401k. Few opportunities for advancement.

Not a great place to work at

Former Employee - Software Developer/Consultant - I  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer/Consultant - I in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not a lot of pros, the only thing that was good was you had flexible hours and could work from home. Apart from that nothing great

Cons

They have a lot of this.
    Same boring projects (always)
    The management never shares anything with the employees.
    Dont have any exciting clients to work for. , infact they only have one major client. and when the client had to let go of contractors, SDLC were clueless about what to do, they did not even had any good leads on new projects or potential clients.
    Bad pay, not proper increments. Sad benefits.

Worked for SDLC Partners? Contribute to the Community!