SDLC Partners

www.sdlcpartners.com

SDLC Partners Reviews

Updated May 15, 2014

SDLC Partners Principal Partners Chris Simchick, Scott Barnyak, & Christy Maruca

Chris Simchick, Scott Barnyak, & Christy Maruca

Good place to kick start your career

Consultant II (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsSmaller organizations can always provide better learning opportunities. Good exposure to clients at a relatively lower level in the org. Good work culture, lets you maintain a work life balance!

ConsHigh dependancy on a single client.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany could benefit from better leadership

Good from afar, but far from good.

Consultant II (Former Employee)

ProsSDLC hires intelligent, hard working and personable people. The folks that you have the opportunity to work with are the biggest pro to this company.

ConsSDLC is a self described 'pay for performance' organization. However, the only ones getting paid for the consultants performance are the partners. The raises are terrible and do not fall in line with the pay ranges given to new employees when they are hired. HR continuously makes up new procedures and changes rules for promotions and raises and the excuse is always that this is a 'new' company and they're working out kinks. After ten years in business, that excuse is no longer applicable. No 401k match and expensive health benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people well and they will make sure you succeed.

Learned a lot, but poor compensation.

Consultant I (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI had the chance to work on very large industry projects after starting in a true entry-level position.

ConsPoor compensation and impossible to adjust if you started low. Majority of work is only for one client, so once you are slotted it can be difficult to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are your product, start treating them like they are truly valuable, instead of just lip servicing the idea of a consultant.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Communication Challenges, Low Morale

ProsSmart associates who are willing to work hard and learn. Recruiting does a good job of identifying strong candidates.

ConsLeadership has a difficult time managing change and cannot handle open communication or difficult conversations. The organization is constantly concerned by risk rather than encouraging smart risk-taking to fuel growth. Company culture is subdued, morale is poor, and most high-potential employees are unhappy with future prospects. Within one year at the company I have seen many of the top performers move on to other companies out of frustration and a desire for career growth that they cannot attain at SDLC.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how you manage leadership of the company... open the doors to fresh ideas, capital, and a bit of intelligent risk taking.

Promising Company

ProsOpportunity for growth and learning.

ConsLocal only to Pittsburgh and nearby areas for now.

One client, no upward mobility.

Consultant I (Former Employee)

ProsLooks good on a resume, actually hires college grads/no experience. Flex schedule if with the right client, some jobs work from home. You don't actually DEAL with SDLC as you are the client site 100% (which is a good and bad thing)

ConsNo 401k match, communication is lacking, management takes forever to implement new ideas, your only communication with SDLC is by email and the quarterly meetings which you are NOT paid for, only in food and drinks. My specific department seems to be left "out to pasture". We were without leadership over 6 months and when we asked were continually told "work in progress". Seems like the draw of this company is you could eventually be hired with a pretty notable client, however, this client had been downsizing so this possibility seems to be fading. Do yourself a favor and just don't .... You'll be stuck in your position with no way out, even if you express interest in other positions/moving around.

Go elsewhere if you have the opportunity.

ProsGood place to get professional experience to start your career.

ConsTerrible company culture and benefits. HR will claim that they are "looking into" providing better benefits during your interview and throughout your employment, but they are never put in place. "Pay for performance" raises are 3-4% max, with most getting less the 3, even if you surpass all of your goals. No company contribution to 401k. Few opportunities for advancement.

Management

Consultant II (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Proswill be good for a newbie may be for 3,4 months

ConsThey are ridiculously reckless about the future projects . Very bad at planning . Hired hell lot of employees depending on one client and laid all of them when the client stopped accepting these guys

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan properly when you hire so many people

Not a great place to work at

Software Developer/Consultant - I (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsNot a lot of pros, the only thing that was good was you had flexible hours and could work from home. Apart from that nothing great

ConsThey have a lot of this.
    Same boring projects (always)
    The management never shares anything with the employees.
    Dont have any exciting clients to work for. , infact they only have one major client. and when the client had to let go of contractors, SDLC were clueless about what to do, they did not even had any good leads on new projects or potential clients.
    Bad pay, not proper increments. Sad benefits.

Flash in the pan, they rode the wave of excess spending by insurance companies (Highmark) and cheap overseas labor.

Consultant (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsSome very sharp, intelligent, nice employees here. These are mostly stuck here due to the process of their citizenship. Sadly no escape for them. They are the strength of the company.

Salary is somewhat low for the area and position but not terrible.

ConsWeird culture - little thought given to the introduction and indoctrination of the employee to the company. Most employees are farmed out as temps to Highmark but that is coming to an end as insurance reform and budget cuts roll in. It's basically a high paid temp service rather than a consulting service.

There is little regard to continued growth and business success. Some futile attempts at client diversification are supposedly undertaken with no real plan and certainly no focus or dedicated resources. Current management makes weak attempts at poorly thought out initiatives by assigning teams to try to redefine their company on which is referred to as "over and above". You can read that charity work for gainful employers who are doing quite well for themselves. Employees are STRONGLY encouraged to "volunteer" for these projects. Lots of pressure there. These assignments are predestined to fail since the employees are not a good fit for the project to begin with, it requires their personal time, and the team members are never available at the same time. The expectation is that after a 10 hour day, the employee will further neglect their personal life and family to donate their expertise at a meeting with the "over and above" gang and plot the company's future. Not only is the premise sure to fail, the results I've seen of these projects were worthless. Poorly researched, not thought out, or with lack of dedicated staff to see them through. Often they are just indefinitely postponed.

There are no formalized projects that are performed by paid, dedicated employees to keep on the cutting edge and help the business grow. All such projects are poorly researched, slipshod, slapped together presentations to fulfill a time-slot in the partners after hours back slapping meetings. They serve no real purpose and do not move the company forward. This company is stuck in a wrinkle in time and is unlikely to move forward with the strategy they are currently pursuing. Any great employees move on from this company quickly, in a year of less, with the exception of those who need them for the citizenship issues.

More "over and above" is required to attend numerous offsite meetings (unpaid) meetings. These consist of a rah-rah speech by a partner who boasts of the incredible profits and growth of the company. Did I mention there is no bonus, profit sharing, or even 401k match? Note to partners: you might want to keep that part to yourself if you aren't going to share. It just may cause resentment from the employees expected to donate their free time for profit and growth.

There is absolutely no work life balance and you are expected to sacrifice all for the good of the company with no return: mediocre pay, lousy benefits, no upward mobility, lack of respect for individual needs, no opportunity for training or knowledge.

There is a lot of posturing and competition between the division managers. Little to no team work between these divisions. A lot of pomp and arrogance and way too much time spent on drama and high horses. Seriously unprofessional at times. That's too bad because there are some smart folks there who could accomplish a lot if they could work together. Unfortunately, not a lot of foresight and definitely not a lot of working together. I was fortunate in that my immediate supervisor and division manager were the best ones there.

There is a total disconnect between what the partners imagine their company is and reality.

If this company survives, I'll be surprised to see it thrive. At least with the model of management and planning that exists there now.

Advice to Senior Management1. Skip the required "ethics and values" composition required for pre-employment screening. What hypocrisy. If you aren't going to live it, don't preach it.
    2. Share with your employees. It will come back to you in the form of respect, loyalty and employee re-tension,
    3. Treat your employees like human beings instead of commodities.
    4. Appreciate rather than take advantage of the diversity that you have.
    5. Create actual business development positions in the company to plan for and help your company grow.
    6. Eliminate the phrase "over and above" from your vocabulary.
    7. Allow managers to be actual managers. No one can do a full time job and manage a group of employees.

Worked for SDLC Partners? Contribute to the Community!