SDLC Partners Reviews

Updated March 13, 2015
34 reviews filtered by
2.4
SDLC Partners Principal Partners Chris Simchick, Scott Barnyak, & Christy Maruca
Chris Simchick, Scott Barnyak, & Christy Maruca

1. Associate Consultant

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SDLC Partners full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good team formation, Employees cooperate and help each other.

Cons

Hard to get recognized, Lower value to academic qualification compared to any experience

Recognize the hardwork of each employee, value academic expereince

2. An organization that allows you to take ownership of your own career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SDLC Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every one who start an employment has a goal to grow in their profession. SDLC provides an environment to grow if you want to take the responsibilities. Folks who work never think of using the resources provided by the company such as the managers, the Sr. Managers, Associate Directors or Directors they work with and the HR team. What I have found is that if you take the initiative you can grow and earn your way to the different levels.

Every level in the organization is helpful if you want to grow. There are lots of opportunity to show your desire to grow. As we are all consultants, even if you work as a solo consultant in at client's place, you can develop good rapport with client and helped the company to grow the business and I have been rewarded for that. I have done that.

Having worked for more that 6 years I have found the owners also to be very employee focused. The most important is the fact that in this day and age of dirty corporate politics, you won't find that here. if you are honest and want the culture and environment which is family friendly, SDLC is the BEST place to work. Honesty, Integrity, sense of family and openness to learn from each employees makes the owners very special.

I have referred many of my friends to come and work at SDLC and all of them are very satisfied here. They continue to provide valuable service to the clients and the company also in the process growing in their own career.

Cons

SDLC is an growing organization. Every growing organization goes through the growing pains and the management team is doing the right things to make sure they learn and implement changes as they grow. They are hiring the right people to fill the slots so that growth is managed the right way.

Some of the benefits do need to improve including compensation and 401K. The compensation scales are also being revised and being modified to match the market. I do know that every step of the way they are refining their approach and making it better for the consultants.

Continue to have the employee focused approach. Communicate the message to the employees about the focus and vision of the company. People like to follow a growth oriented company which SDLC is, so why not make is visible to all.

3. QA analyst

Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SDLC Partners full-time (more than a year)

Pros

if your looking to work for various clients

Cons

no growth, no good management,your just thrown to a new project whenever even without your consent, too much work and very less pay.they do not care about your personal life.in short not a good place to work at all

please learn to listen to your employees

5. Great company with lots of opportunity

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think individuals forget that this is a consulting company. You are a consultant to client and it’s important for the individual to work on developing a strong relationship with the client. It’s also important to understand what you want to do. Some of the reviews on here are fairly negative but I think it might have to do with individuals who felt they weren't moving up or were unable to really do more. I worked my way up the chain but I did that by taking more responsibilities (this also means more risk) and being able to really explain your actions. Once you become a trusted adviser and you are able to show how you can make a difference you’ll see your career grow.

Cons

On the real, there are many cons but know that there is always going to be cons in most companies you work at. Number 1 con is they don’t pay as well as other companies. It’s hard to get promotions and it’s hard to get a good raise. I don’t think that the company pays what the average price is in the industry and if you’re on the low level it’s even more difficult to get paid what your colleges are getting paid. This is one aspect that really discouraged me and I tried to raise my voice to but it was heard to an extent. Changes are always promised but I hope we’re able to see better changes. Another way to really make more money is to work overtime. For the most part, if you’re in a good project and you’re being challenged you will automatically put in more hours. Hence your wage will increase, but not sure how long those days are going to last. As mentioned in the pros, think about how you can show value. Remember you’re a consultant.

I know we’re trying to make improvements on wages and making sure we’re at a tier where folks are getting paid accordingly but there is always more that can be done. It’s also important to have yearly bonuses to help with employee morals. I think it’s also important to bring transparency to how we can make a difference in bringing in new clients.

6. Nice stepping stone

Current Employee - Consultant II in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SDLC Partners

Pros

Its a segway to other companies.

Cons

Absurdity of management. They make foreign employees sign HB1 related agreements and try to recoup H1B costs back.

Be wise.

7. An average local company

I have been working at SDLC Partners

Pros

If you are a Pittsburgh local and do not want to travel much, this could be good gig. HighMark is the primary client. Partners are approachable and culture is decent.

Cons

Salary is 20- 30% lower than the market rate. No 401K, poor benefits.

Talent retention is the key to deliver on projects

Good salary but really just a staffing firm

I have been working at SDLC Partners full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High salary depending on where they place you, your job may be great or it might be very bad. If you manage to stick it out for several years you could move into the limited true consulting roles that they have. Advancement I possible if you demonstrate total commitment to the company and give up your personal life.

Cons

Very poor work life balance, very bottom line driven, very high expectations of your time, overbearing and controlling management, very high turnover, lack of client diversity and there really is nothing about them to distinguish them for the crowded pack of staffing firms in Pittsburgh.

Management needs to lighten up and realize that their employees are their single most important asset. Treat employees better and the success you are seeking will come.

9. Perspective from somebody who worked for SDLC partners for more than 6 yrs

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Excellent Employers , excellent owners who truly cares for its employees
    * Great location
    * lots of opportunities for growth and career diversification
    * melting pots for great talents
    * competitive salary
    * transparent
    * atleast for some folks , there were and still are lots of good and interesting opportunities to learn from.
    * for a medium size organization , SDLC has presence in almost all aspects of Software Development Life Cycle - from Application development , mobile development to Automation testing , to proper project and program management , to Business Intelligence field etc.

I normally do not write review , but after reading some of the review in glassdoor , i felt like I should contribute. I have also moved on to some other organization , but I have mostly positive experience with SDLC. If you have issues with work life balance while working with client project , there is little any employer can do unless you take the initiative. Same goes for anybody who feels he/she has not been heard. This doesnt mean I never had any issues (nothing that cannot be managed if addresses in proper way)

Cons

* Some of its practice needs more diversification and better client base
    * Earlier they were dependent on only one client (mainly) , but now things are changing and SDLC is making its presence felt to other businesses within Pittsburgh. Still a bit more expansion is required when it comes to client base.
    * some of its strength can also be its weakness, like , it has presence only in Pittsburgh. Things are changing , but a little slower.
    * could stream line some of the HR process instead of doing things on ad-hoc basis. Although changes done in recent past are definitely in right direction.
    * Could have better process for Green Card processing (again this also has been addressed , so , not a con technically)
    * The office cubes could be bigger.

* keep doing what you are doing
    * Diversify more (maybe)
    * Need projects outside Pittsburgh as well.
    * Need to invest in employee training more so as to gain competitive edge.

Selfish company with disconnected workers.

I have been working at SDLC Partners full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent PTO allowances, and hey... at least you have a job.

Cons

SDLC is a company that cares, well, only about itself. They preach about being a "family", but other than the occasional picnic, everyone is disjointed and communication is at a minimum. A few years ago it was a much better place to work. But after losing many practice directors and managers over the last year or so, it's become unbearable. Which is why myself and many others are actively seeking employment elsewhere.

The benefits are TERRIBLE, they do not match on 401k, and lower-level management was told (during the last round of performance reviews) not to give out raises to anyone who did not overwhelmingly meet their goals. Dozens of workers received no raise (not even a raise to cover cost-of-living hikes), even though they did more than enough to earn one. Some of these managers actually left the company shortly afterwards, because of the terrible taste in their mouths from telling their workers they can't reward them for their hard work.

SDLC has - basically - only one Client: Highmark. If Highmark were to drop them, they would probably close up shop within the month. At least 90% of their business comes from one single client, and that is NOT a good business model to have.

If you're looking for a stressful job with no reward, bad benefits, no 401k matching, terrible managers and no security that they won't close their doors at a moment's notice, this is the place for you. If you enjoy a workforce that's about 80% overseas workers, with huge language barriers and a crab mentality, this is the place for you.

Otherwise, run far, far away from SDLC Partners.

Rethink the people you've put in charge. And stop trying to get the cheapest labor possible.

11. Good place to kick start your career

Former Employee - Consultant II in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SDLC Partners full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smaller organizations can always provide better learning opportunities. Good exposure to clients at a relatively lower level in the org. Good work culture, lets you maintain a work life balance!

Cons

High dependancy on a single client.

Company could benefit from better leadership