SDSE

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Orlando Bullock

Professional Accountant and Bookkeeper .Certified QuickBooks .

Accountant - Bookkeeper (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsI like to work in a company like you .

Consprofessional services firm with a proven record of enhancing Government and business operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am an accountant with over twenty years experience in public accounting and financial services.

Unprofessional Sinking Ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork-life balance is good; Direct management depends on which contract you're assigned to but mine was good; Beginning pay was reasonable (see cons for note about raises)

ConsUpper management is a complete joke - they make promises of how things will change for the better and then nothing comes from it, they are unable to manage the contracts that they already have, they can't win new contracts, and they are completely unprofessional; raises are non-existent - I was told to wait until they won a new contract to discuss a raise, which never happened because they can't win new contracts; cost of benefits is ridiculously high; Upper management just likes to party with their friends, and if you aren't in their club then don't expect much; If you never have to deal with upper management then you may be alright, otherwise avoid this sinking ship

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the cost of benefits; Maintain professionalism; Appropriately manage the contracts that you do have so that you stop losing them

All talk and no change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. I really can't think of any.

ConsThe only metric is profitability. Although the rhetoric supports transformative ideas, you are not going to be able to develop them here.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Procurement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of outside parties for management.

ConsTo much outside partying with management. No structure. Managers are never available for employees or contractors. Will only hire friends, friends of friends, and anyone who will party with them outside of work. Ratio of employees is 90 to 10 with it comes to racial employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees, and your friends, like employees. Be a manager. This is a job not a country club.

Disappointing

ProsLots of outside parting for the Upper Management

ConsNot involved with "Field employee's. Only care about corporate employees. Let's field supervisors do anything they want and will not look into other employee's concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome involved with ALL your employee's and not just upper management ones.

Leadership that looks out for you, but restricted by being a government contractor

Procurement Specialist II (Current Employee) Golden, CO

ProsFlexible work schedule (dependent upon the office in which you work, as well as your team lead) - 9/80, 4x10s, standard 8-hour; excellent coworkers; desire to get more done in a better fashion than the federal employees; competitive pay; decent medical coverage; excellent dental; telework (work-from-home) allowed once every two weeks; 15 days of vacation (for exempt employees), 10 days of vacation plus 5 days sick pay (non-exempt employees); some tuition reimbursement ($2,500/year for closely-related courses).

ConsNo employer match on the retirement plan; seriously restricted by being a government contractor (i.e., not much freedom to dictate its own policies regarding, for example, allowing telework or 10-hour work days); insecurity due to changes in federal budget and desire to move to more federal / less contractor workforce; don't get to see senior leadership too often because they are based in Silver Spring, MD.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the difference between work skills and management skills. People everywhere often get promoted one time too many. I spent most of my time working for someone who was very knowledgeable, but a horrible manager of people.

Text Book Unethical

ProsManagement has the desire to grow their contract base. They do not micro manage and allow you to take on challenges.

ConsThere is no "manage" in management. Often times you will find yourself having to make things up on the fly without direction or support from Corporate office as they lack the experience and knowledge to support the field staff.

There are a lot of inappropriate relationships and promotions of people that are in the good ole boy network although their qualifications are not representative of their title. Very quid pro quo if you do not party with management or provide special favors.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure what you can do since the damage is already finished and your contracts will badge swap with the next contractor that comes through. Please try and educate your management team and be professional at all times. Everyone knows of your indiscretions and the law suits and settlements that you are paying out to cover the poor decisions.

Unhappy employees, poor benefits, no employee training...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Morgantown, WV

ProsI have a job... I guess I should be happy that's the case. But, I've had the same job since 2008, under 2 other contract holders.

ConsHealthcare costs increased over 260% - their answer was to look elsewhere. I'd love to know if the corporate office received the same benefits as the govt. contract employees. Luckily, I have benfits through my wife's employer. The costs have never been offered or published, you had to ask HR for the information. As an example, under our previous contract holder, bi-weekly family healthcare was $187/pay for a relatively good plan. Now, for a plan with an exorbitant deductible is nearly $500/pay.

No 401k matching,

Prior to contract switch, the company asked for employee training requests. However, none was built into the contract = no employee training.

We were able to help satisfy work/life commitments by flexing our schedules under all the previous contract holders - no longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementOf course you are the lowest bid, your benefits to employees are pathetic. Viewed as all very "snake in the grass."

A Lackluster Management/Leadership Team

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsThe starting Salary and benefits were on target for the DC area and surrounding locations however raises were non-existent from there.

ConsNo communication (however expectations you know up to date corporate information), what communication was offered was unprofessional, (even man to man). Inappropriately offered growth. Unappreciated work loads, and unfulfilled promises/expectations (training, growth, raises, etc.), Inappropriate discipline (publicly humiliating discipline on and off site by leadership teams). Lack of interest and lack of availability.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lack of understanding and willingness to train on the business and industry is the reason for your failed attempts, not to the fault of the people you hired.

Overall a bad experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsGood salary and benefits overall

ConsLack of training and support
    Employees are treated unfairly and are disrespected
    Poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementTake courses on how to be a better manager

Worked for SDSE? Contribute to the Community!