SEAKR

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.6

Ray Anderson

Amazing people doing amazing things

Current Employee - Associate Hardware Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Hardware Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at SEAKR full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is great, the benefits are good, and the kind of work done is out of this world. The owners and management have great technical backgrounds and understand what it means to be an engineer. Great ability to do a variety of types of work, and directly contribute to amazing products. Very positive work environment. Lots of opportunities to take a step back and enjoy work with onsite Volleyball and Basketball leagues and BBQs. Very flexible schedules.

Cons

There is a tendency for long hours. Projects are complex and challenging, and require high quality work on a tight schedule. The company doesn't hire for the short term, which is great for job security, but can lead to extra work at times when things are busy.

No need, I can talk to them any time at work.

Good company that needs to make some changes.

I worked at SEAKR full-time

Pros

The company does cool things- makes products that go into space.
    Culture is laid back and flexible.
    Lots of really cool and fun people to work with.
    Retirement benefits above average.
    Medical slightly above average.

Cons

The company runs like they are on a start up budget. Cheap everything from office furniture to toilet paper. Overcrowding in buildings makes jobs harder and limits how professional people feel without their own space. Some groups are jammed into in cubicles that barely fit a tiny desk and chair, some share cubicles, especially contractors who should still be treated as part of the team. Managers have offices bigger than they need and there is still personal items stored on site in valuable space while some space sits vacant and unused.

Schedules are rushed and often understaffed, and people are moved between projects too much. Many people end up working long weekend and holiday hours without compensation. Management pushes for harder and longer work while demanding less mistakes - but they are usually not there to help out during the long hours. Employees who work the long hours never see anything for it. Burn out seems to be more frequent.

Compensation is significantly below average. SEAKR benefits are said to make up the difference, but don't.

Recognition, promotion and salary increase is slow.

Invest in your people. Provide better office environment, better training, better compensation, better tools.

Pay people what they are worth, and recognize when they are working extra hard for you.

Family Run Has Good and Bad

I have been working at SEAKR full-time

Pros

Design, build, test and deliver state of the art satellite computer boards
    Smart idea to have design and fabrication housed with test
    On-site volleyball courts, basketball court
    Almost everyone is nice.

Cons

Little or no opportunity to advance
    Salary is low compared to industry. They provide a good retirement type savings but it doesn't offset salary.
    Management does not support or advocate for their team members. Communication is limited and one way.
    A couple upper managers are insensitive and rude.

Conduct team building
    Change from a fear based system to an open and respectful attitude.

A good company

I worked at SEAKR full-time

Pros

Good Health Insurance benefit and Christmas bonuses

Cons

Seakr lacks on on-going and systematic training in their MFG and Quality area. Problem-solving methods and techniques need to be applied in a more effective way.

Implement effective training and measure progress/failures in order to accurately evaluate employees.

Fun Work Environment, Intense Work Environment

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at SEAKR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the work, the play, the parties. The Medical/Vision/Dental benefits are at least average, if not better than average of anywhere else I've worked. Retirement benefit is beyond anything I have ever seen at any other company.

The company and management are very flexible with employees working in new areas of the company if they wish.

The upper management tries to keep everyone in the loop about the company outlook at least once a year, I find this very useful and helps me feel like I am part of the company rather than just a worker bee.

Management works to try and have the employees set useful goals that not only benefit the employee but the company as well. For instance if the employee wants to attend a class of some kind, management will often work hard to make it happen. Yearly goal review is heavily based on peer review which I feel is very useful.

Yearly bonus is based on performance.

Cons

Growing pains. Intense schedules. Sometimes (not very frequently) ludicrous work loads are pushed off to the engineers to get it done. Requirement churn which adds to the intense schedule, but this is pretty typical in Aerospace.

Vacation time is lower than average, but not ridiculously low.

Salaries are on the low end, however combined with the crazy good retirement package it balances out in my opinion.

Several of the information systems are awful as far as usability and availability, making the work more intense and stressful just to find information within the company.

Yearly bonus is based on performance.

Not just a job, these people are my family

I have been working at SEAKR

Pros

Worked for big aerospace companies in the past. Too much politics. Not here. The people that run the company truly care about the people that work for them. The company still has that family owned feel though we are growing at such a rate that it's starting to change in that regard. My coworkers are a pretty talented group of people that know how to work hard and still have fun. Benefits are as good if not better than large Aerospace companies.

Cons

We are currently in a very transitional phase. Many,many new people. Cultural changes and lack of adequate training are causing many problems we have not encountered before. The original company philosophy is starting to become diluted.

Better training. Better program staffing to preclude premature burn out

Driven environment with end customers always highest priority.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance

I have been working at SEAKR full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, very active employees. Gym on-site and team sports. Great teams to work with and management is heavily involved with the flow of the build without micromanagement.

Cons

Large amount of tenured employees resistant to process change. Tendency to hire talent without utilization.

Focus on the fundamentals of lean manufacturing, 5S, and Six Sigma practices to monitor yields in manufacturing, and improve process control.

Great people!

I have been working at SEAKR as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard working, dedicated workforce. Get the job done and get it done right. Work hard, play hard environment. Privately owned, so the owners don't have to answer to a board. Some of the best people I have had the please to work with.

Cons

Wish I could go from being a contractor to being a full-time permanent employee. They always keep me busy and tell me a I do a great job, but then don't bring me on permanently.

Great company with incredible growth.

I have been working at SEAKR full-time

Pros

Great leadership team, explosive sustained growth, and a great culture. Volleyball and basketball outside on most nice days; cycling, running, music, and many other 'clubs' which offer many opportunities outside of work.

Cons

Program staffing is generally more limited than at larger companies, which allows for many opportunities but sometimes added stress.

Poor management

I worked at SEAKR full-time

Pros

IRA Contributions are the best I've ever seen. Co-workers and staff support is excellent. The work facilities are clean and comfortable.

Cons

This company has severe growing pains. Poor management, Lack of management oversight, Stressful Work Conditions. Poor project planning and execution.
    minimal to nominal pay.

Provide employees with the tools needed to perform their job. (Software, Hardware, Test Equipment, Training and a supportive management team).