SEC

Updated December 16, 2014
4.1

SEC Chairman Mary L. Schapiro
Mary L. Schapiro

Pros
  • Stability, Work/Life Balance, Quality of Work, Regular Hours (in 10 reviews)

• The compensation is lower than the private sector, but it is by no means bad (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unpaid internship, but they did pay for the metro (in 3 reviews)

• Limited room for advancement due to "lifers" -you must have a plan and work the plan but understand that there are politics involved (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The SEC does great work keeping our investments safe and our banking industry working for the people.

Current Employee - Law Clerk in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Law Clerk in Washington, DC

I have been working at SEC as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at the SEC is a very rewarding job. The training is cutting edge like in the area of e-discovery. The office culture is team work and sharing of information in a manner that is consistent with each department working and sharing info together.

Cons

The cases and tasks associated with these cases can be very tedious and time consuming. Your work is subject to court intervention in the form of stays, some times evidence you need can be very difficult to obtain from companies under investigation and it almost always require that you be vigilant and steadfast.

Management should always make sure the staff has access to the latest technology and software available to keep up with the fast pace and forever changing laws associated with the securities industry.

Summer Honors Program (legal internship) in the Enforcement Division

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at SEC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Attorneys love what they do. Many of the attorneys have worked in private practice prior to heading to the SEC. They are happier here because the SEC gives them work-life balance. It's always great to work with happy people.

I loved all the exciting cases I had a chance to work on.

Cons

It is very rare that you will be hired after your internship. I would not recommend interning here your 2L summer. Try 1L summer and then use the experience to go to a firm your 2L year.

Great Place to Intern

Former Employee - Student Honors Legal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Student Honors Legal in Washington, DC

I worked at SEC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This was a great place to get practical legal experience as a law student. The staff are busy, but always accessible. There is plenty of work to do, but people will not necessarily come looking for you. So if you are an enterprising individual you will never be bored. They are very flexible in terms of working with your school schedule.

Cons

It is tough to get in here, either through pathways or the normal job channels, so this probably won't lead to actual employment. The administrative aspect of the Student Honors program itself is a bit disorganized, and some people had trouble with the on-boarding process.

Great Internship Opportunities - No full-time job opportunities

I worked at SEC

Pros

Smart, motivated co-workers who care about what they're doing.

Cons

No real entry-level opportunities and some "lifer" attorneys who aren't as motivated.

Great Summer Honors Program Internship

I worked at SEC

Pros

Understanding Management. Professional Office Culture. Flexible Hours.

Cons

I didn't run into anything negative.

Good experience.

Former Employee - Attorney Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Attorney Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at SEC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health benefit options, student loan repayment program, work/life balance (telecommuting options), transportation subsidy

Cons

Limited room for advancement due to "lifers" -you must have a plan and work the plan but understand that there are politics involved.

Be more flexible to new ways of doing things.

Great learning experience...no pay

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SEC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Nice people
    -Decent hours (Standard 9-5)
    -They really try to give interns projects that utilize the interns skills efficiently
    -Lots of exposure to different parts of the organization through talks
    -Conveniently located

Cons

-Office is drab (what do you expect its the government?)
    -They really should pay interns even if its only a small amount. It is hard to work hard for nothing and they will attract better candidates. (pay for full time is actually much better than people think. Look on usajobs. For the hours they work some make more than wall street guys. This is a huge stereotype that is somewhat inncorrect.)
    -There is a lack of ambition (just do what they have been doing)

A fine place to work if you don't mind bureaucracy

Former Employee - Securities Compliance Examiner in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Securities Compliance Examiner in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SEC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, Work/Life Balance, Quality of Work, Regular Hours

Cons

Very Bureaucratic
    Internal Politics
    Quality of Management (lots of government lifers who are uninspiring and unmotivated)

Varied intern experiences

Former Employee - Division of Economic and Risk Analysis in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Division of Economic and Risk Analysis in Washington, DC

I worked at SEC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Great mentorship program. I met with my mentor to talk about opportunities at the SEC, career goals, and much more
    -Lots of trainings and seminars offered on topics like using the Bloomberg terminal, rulemaking, fundamentals of the securities industry, etc... and they encourage you to go to these
    -Opportunity to use SAS, Bloomberg, WRDS
    -Tours of Library of Congress, Supreme Court, Federal Reserve Board and opportunity to sit in on SEC closed commission meetings
    -Learned quite a bit about securities and the SEC by the end
    -Not a stressful internship

Cons

-There is very little support and structure for the internship program so your experience depends a lot on your supervisor. My project was largely an independent effort since my supervisor was really busy.
    -Some interns were left without work for weeks at a time, but attended trainings and self-studied to fill up the time.
    -Interns could be challenged more.

Undergraduate Business Honors Program

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at SEC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn ALOT. The internship coordinators organize weekly schedules outlining the which cases you will be working on and whom you will be working with. I worked with the accounting personnel and enforcement personnel. Some of assignments include: bank statement spreadsheets, document translation, and MD&A disclosure analysis. You are encouraged to attend a variety of seminars and familiarize yourself with tools such as the Bloomberg Terminal. All the employees were also extremely helpful and friendly.

Cons

Although it was a great experience, I would never want to work there. I feel like growth here is not necessarily based on performance but tenure instead.