SEC

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing experience

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at SEC as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone is really friendly and is really a master of their subject area. If you want to have all previous negative notions of how a government agency operates changed, the SEC will change them. I found everyone to be amazingly intelligent, most people worked really hard, and the best part was that most people were passionate about their jobs and genuinely excited to be working there. By far the best internship experience I have had.

ConsIt is next to impossible to convert your internship into a job. After the one year mark out of school though, it seems like you get put on a short list after interning there because a lot of former interns had been hired if they kept in touch and kept applying after 9 months from graduation. That was literally the only negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementGovernment hiring guidelines are what they are, and can't be changed by management (I think they would if they could). I really liked my direct supervisors, and I hope they don't change anything.

Solid experience, but wanted to get more out of it

Fall Intern (Accounting) (Former Employee)

I worked at SEC as an intern for less than a year

Pros--Very nice and genuine people
--Employees generally happy to be there
--Collaborative and upbeat atmosphere
--Good work experience to put on resume and talk to others about
--Very cool to work in the headquarters of a major US gov't service
--Good insights into how the capital markets are regulated

Cons--Some of the people may not be the brightest (depends on the role)
--Did not get as much out of experience as I wanted as an Intern
--No pay for interns

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

I interned at the SEC last summer and had a tremendous time

Summer Honors College (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at SEC as an intern for less than a year

Pros-All of the employees I encountered at the SEC were willing to help the interns progress in their career
-A lot of exposure in a short period of time
-Training programs were great and directed towards interns

Cons-Unpaid internship, but they did pay for the metro
-If you have enough money saved up then I definitely recommend taking advantage of this opportunity

Contractor at SEC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at SEC as a contractor for less than a year

ProsTraining and pay were good. Great opportunity to meet people from around the world.

ConsPeople were sneaky, not honest and back-stabbing. Good workers are not recognized for the jobs they do. Not appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new team to manage security group.

Much potential, little output

I have been working at SEC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAccessive entitlements, federally funded, nice new and expanding building.

ConsSelf absorbed, no team work, inept people put in wrong positions, bureaucratic maze, back stabbing rampid, contractors targeted for abuse, accessive mismanagement, everyone is out for themselves and dodging responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead Dr. Edwards Demmings. Stop using contractors as pawns. Respect is EARNED, demanding respect without substance is transparent and never truly obtained. Hopefully the new Chair, Mary Jo White, might improve things . . . but it's doubtful.

Great organization, great people, friendly environment.

Summer Honors Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at SEC as an intern for less than a year

ProsAbsolutely amazing experience. I worked on the top floor and got to see everyone, including the Chairwoman.

The compensation is lower than the private sector, but it is by no means bad. If you are not cutthroat, this is the place for you.

Great insight into the regulatory aspects of the SEC.

ConsVast amounts of work to be done, and once you finish a great deal of it, the project could be ended due to a change in policy/a decision to redirect efforts

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very clear about what you want, any vagueness can lead to issues down the line.

Staff Accountant of the Division of Corporate Finance.

Staff Accountant (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at SEC full-time for more than a year

ProsYou are on the leading edge of technical and upcoming accounting issues, risks, and SEC focus. You are continually challenged with every new filing that is assigned to you. The SEC strongly supports and recognizes talent, and a job well done.

ConsAlthough I was given 6 months off to have a child, and also receive part-time work status, there was no way I could telecommute once I moved back to California. Otherwise, I would still be working there!

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your best performers to telecommute, or move to other departments, like Enforcement.

Challenging yet less stressful

Counsel (Former Employee)

I worked at SEC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity to work on regulations and policies which can make a huge difference.

ConsBudget constraints can affect the hiring and other related decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote and hire the young staff with vigor and ambition.

Student Intern

Student Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at SEC as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe workplace is good to kick off your career. Got to work on the trendy cases and met friendly superiors. Kept a good relationship even long after the internship.

ConsNot have enough work for every day. You have to ask around every now and then to get busy.

Interesting place to work at

Financial Economist (Current Employee)

I have been working at SEC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBright people, collegial atmosphere, collaborative spirit. People are friendly. Projects are interesting. great work life balance. Flexibility in work schedules.

ConsPart of the appropriations process (not self funded), which means that we are dependent on congress. Hence, projects can suddenly change based on congressional actions. Priorities subject to political winds. Promotion process is not transparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore clarity in promotions would be appreciated.

Worked for SEC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SEC reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SEC CEO Mary L. Schapiro. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by SEC employees.