SEGA of America

2.8

John Cheng

Friendly Global Workplace with a History

I have been working at SEGA of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Creative and talented coworkers.
    - Competitive and comprehensive benefits.
    - Good location with multiple commute options.
    - Great products with a long history in gaming.

Cons

- Frustratingly slow movement on opportunities.
    - Lack of vision with real steps to success.
    - Moral problems from downsizing.
    - Strange and cumbersome cross-region politics.

Sega, my second home for a long time, and a great experience overall

Former Employee - QA Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - QA Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SEGA of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and a great atmosphere. Lots of variety in projects to work on, and many interesting challenges to overcome.

Cons

Bad business decisions, well above my pay grade. Money over quality was the general attitude there, and we missed out on some great opportunities.

Make less games, with more passion and heart poured into them.

I like the people, but we're at the mercy of people who are far removed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SEGA of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people that work here are great for the most part. Everyone is happy to help each other, and not many try to dump work onto others. At least not at this branch.

Cons

Forecast doesn't look great. There doesn't seem to be much opportunity for growth.

Fight harder for what you believe in. Push a product if you truly believe in it. If you need a bigger staff, justify it and make it happen. You're team will back you up.

A Melting Pot that Melted Products

Former Contractor - QA Tester in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - QA Tester in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SEGA of America as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Employees were awesome and friendly although we were very segmented off into our departments with poor communication. The US office was all about working together and making the best we could, despite harshness from the outside.

Cons

Lots of disorganization and internal office politics conflicted the productivity level. Also lots of animosity across different departments. The anxiety of security also affected work on a negative level. As it was my first established publisher QA gig, I didn't know what to expect. But coming from a background that is more varied now, I could see the weaknesses that were all around SEGA. SEGA Japan and Europe were more of focuses until the mass layoffs and it seems they still are focused on those other regions now.

Integrate the entire process of game development more and have respect for those that work there. Considering contractors as people too would greatly improve productivity and efficiency.

Sega is a company where good people go to waste their careers

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at SEGA of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some genuinely good people there (or there were good people there - recent layoffs have gutted the place). Benefits are OK and work/life balance is OK. It is great to work with well-known brands like Sonic and Crazy Taxi.

Cons

It is a Japanese run company. It is impossible to get anything (and I mean ANYTHING) done in the US side of the business because the Japanese execs mistrust the US execs. Its a long term problem within Sega and it has caused them to miss so many great opportunities. You know how you keep on reading about Sega's gloried past? This is why its in the "past" - there's nothing left there now.
    The HR staff will go out of their way to enforce arcane rules that have no bearing on real-world problems.
    And forget trying to install anything on your computer - the IT staff refuses to let you use programs like Skype, even when they will save the company money.

1. Develop a strategy. Stop being a 'has been' company and start being part of the future. You've got great IP, now do something with it!
    2 Listen to your employees - they are actually some smart people who work there
    3. Be agile - be quick but make decisions and stick to them.
    4. STOP changing direction every 3 months.

Like a family, with all the good and bad that implies.

I have been working at SEGA of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SEGA employees are generally fantastic, and tight-knit like a family. People genuinely like each other, often hanging out after work and on the weekends together.

Cons

You know that one eccentric uncle that every family has? SEGA has some too. They come in different forms, but often you have to mange upward/around them in order to get things done.

Stop re-organizing every 30 seconds. The problems this company has won't be solved with that.

Shifting company priorities are poisoning the culture

I have been working at SEGA of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Camaraderie. The staff and middle/upper-middle management all get along really well. When deep cuts occur, you can expect a director or senior director to open a tab at the bar.

Deep cuts sometimes leave vacancies, which can provide opportunities for advancement. However, don't expect to be paid close to what the individual you're replacing was.

Benefits package. For those lucky enough to move from temp/contract to full time, the benefits package is entirely decent.

Cons

Increased pressure. There is a new directive that everyone be 100% busy 100% of the time. It's pressing people to invent busy work for themselves so they never appear to be dawdling, or risk getting the stink eye from the new VP as he helicopters around the office.

Deteriorating morale. The new oppressive environment, the constant fear that you'll be the next to go. It's poisoning the camaraderie that was always the saving facet of this company. Everyone is on edge, everyone is fearful. No amount of enthusiastic floor speeches are going to keep people happy when they're constantly looking over their shoulder and waiting on the axe to fall.

Poor compensation. At all but the top-most levels, SEGA America pays about 60% to 70% of what you can expect at another publisher.

Stop penalizing the staff for high level mismanagement. There is a refusal to invest in anything but high risk AAA projects, a hesitance to diversify or expand the company's line up. The company's "pride" won't mean anything when the doors are shuttered and the lights go out.

Quality Assurance/CS

Former Employee - Quality Assurance/CS in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance/CS in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SEGA of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great coworkers to be around with

Cons

- Treated like a number
    - Suck ups get to stay longer than hard and dedicated workers
    - No Benefits
    - Low Pay for California

very great place to work

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at SEGA of America as a contractor

Pros

it is the best place

Cons

Not that i know of

Great people, management issues.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SEGA of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with smart, passionate people. Good work/life balance.

Cons

A little behind the market in compensation. The business moves a little slow, and new ideas can be hard pressed to gain approval.

Move faster, communicate better. Stop playing regional games.