SEI/Aaron's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Charles Smithgall

1. Great company to work for. Never been happier. You work hard and reap the rewards

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

There really are no cons. You only benefit for the work you put in, if your good at what you do

Own it for Less

Current Employee - Csr1 in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, great for those who love customer service, closed on Sundays,great benefits.

Cons

Don't expect to have much of a social life outside of work. Days are long, my location is awful for reaching sales goals, not much room to move up.

Advice to Management

District managers really have no idea what goes on in their stores.

MIT

Current Employee - MIT
    Current Employee - MIT

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you need a lot of hours, and want to be able to move up regardless of education background or previous experience, this is a good company for you.

Cons

They expect the world from you, but the return is nowhere near on par. And any timeline for advancement promised in the interview stage is way longer than promised.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your staff as dispensable and make sure they all, from the bottom up, feel appreciated. Their non management associates are treated terribly.

Soul crushing

Former Employee - Customer Accounts Manager in Highland Mills, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Accounts Manager in Highland Mills, NY

I worked at SEI/Aaron's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some nice people and lifting furniture is a pretty good workout. Sundays off is nice but that is only because you cannot make collection calls on Sundays.

Cons

They say they want to, "get people to ownership" but the only way their business plan works is if the customer never owns anything. Granted nobody's arm is twisted and forced to buy their merchandise but they take advantage of some of the most vulnerable people in society. It's dangerous trying to take back furniture that somebody has "owned" for 6 or more months. It is soul crushing to take a child's bed and hear them ask their mother where are they going to sleep.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and you can expect a lot more from them. Treat your customers with respect and you might avoid a nasty altercation.

By far the worst company I have ever worked for!!!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at SEI/Aaron's full-time

Pros

If you like cheap furniture the employee discount is the only pro with working for the worst company on earth.

Cons

The hours are terrible, they except you to work open to close. Every single manager is worthless. They have no management skills whatsoever. The store is obnoxiously loud, it's to the point customers complain.

Advice to Management

Close the colerain location in Cincinnati!!! Management in all aspects for this location is awful! Steve is rude and lazy, he sits in his office all day and throws a plastic ball at the wall while talking to his wife or work wife all day! His employees are treated like slaves. Shane is a royal jerk as well. I will never be back to any aarons location! I wish a million times over I would have never applied here. Just in the short period of time this has put a negative impact on my integrity.

Great Company with potential to move up and succeed!

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, paid holidays, Sundays ALWAYS off, great leadership team. Moved up twice since starting with the company 3 years ago. I now am General Manager of the store. This has given me extreme gratitude and thanks to SEI Aaron's for giving me this chance to prove myself. My advice to anyone currently with this company, or thinking about working for this company is to set your goals high, and reach for the stars. You decide how far you go! The owners of the company are very personable and friendly. They are the type of people that you can call at any time for advice/help. Overall, great company to work for, especially if you are looking for a place to call "home" (away from home, of course:)

Cons

Long hours for any type of manager.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to pay a little better. I have had several employees leave for other jobs, not because they did not like the job, but because they found one making more money. With that said, we DO have a great bonus program and referral program with potential to make monthly bonus. This can be very rewarding.

Crap.

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's

Pros

There really were no pros other than Sundays off. Pay was OK, could be better especially if you had a lot of retail experience.

Cons

Where should I start. First off management sucks. I quit in march and following that one of the delivery drivers transfered stores and another just quit. Management isn't good at all. Just kind of in a whatever type attitude all the time which made the store feel the same way. No one knows what to do because one person will tell you one thing another will tell you something different.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together. You want to lead by example but don't show an example.

Given an opportunity to progress personally and professionally

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The values-based culture is definitely the bottom-line reason to work for SEI/Aaron's. It feels good to work with people who say what they mean, mean what they say and treat others in a respectful way. There is a standard for integrity that I believe is lacking in many other work environments. I also consider it a huge benefit that the company is so stable. While there have been great years and not-so-great, I have witnessed senior management working very hard to move the company forward in the direction that will provide us with growth and stability.

Cons

It would be great to see stores have the technological abilities that our customers want in terms of filling out order forms or ordering online. This is in progress, so hopefully we'll see it sooner than later.

Advice to Management

The recent promotions and contests for associates have been so much fun! I would love to see that continue. Please continue seeking out those associates that go above and beyond for special recognition.

I worked at SEI/Aaron's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there is nothing that I'd say positive and the only reason I would waste my time and breath on this company is because I am looking at a review of a potential new employer for myself at this time.

Cons

In 6 months of employment here 23 (TWENTY THREE) employees either quit or were fired for some reason at the store. Many walked out the first day not even completing one days work because of the way that they were talked to and treated. That may not sound crazy but there were only 5 people employed at the store total at a time. 23 employees in the course of 6 months is ridiculous.

I was a store manager at the competitors location and the next plaza and over 7 years of my employment there I never terminated one person and never had one person quit.

I had 10 EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL years experience working for the nation's LEADING rent to own company ; ____-A-Center before this place. Unfortunately an injury ended my career there. So, on to SEI Aarons. ...

I applied for a GM in training position and was told 50 hours a week and would be GM of that store in 3-6 months. Great, exactly what I did at the competitor.

They hire you and tell you you will be the GM and then back stab the other employees in the current position. The female who was GM got word of the fact I was previously successful at the competitor and the DM was planning to place me as GM there. It all went down hill from there. She openly admitted that She started to talk negatively about me to the DM and started to demand extremely unreasonable hours, and responsibilities while in the meantime not allowing me to do the necessary training for the position. She then told me that my wife and my children were now (and I quote ) "my mistress and this place was my new wife and family".

That was among many other sexual harassment / belittling / humiliation comments that the pig of a GM said to myself and other employees (who I recruited to leave their current job and follow me here because our previous success together at our last company).

so upon calling the franchise owner personally and telling him about the harassment and circumstances we were dealing with he did - NOTHING. It wasn't until we called multiple times to multiple different departments and telling them we are contemplating contacting a lawyer that they (dm and rd) finally came and termed the GM.

After that is when the humiliation / public belittling started getting very bad by the DM and RD! I got so embarrassed one day I walked out and never came back and so did the 3 friends I brought there. That's 4 more to the list of 23 by the way.

In addition to employees being treated poor, the customers were treated so disrespectfully and negatively I felt awful. I tried so hard to fix problems but the GM wouldn't let me place sales and service calls on the the schedule . The way that the GM and dm treated people were disgusting.

To put in perspective, I was there in a commission based position. Multiple previous customers of mine came over to buy merchandise from me. I was so embarrassed about the lack of customer care and service that my customers would get from the existing general manager and district manager I started to send some of the customers away to the competitors store because I cared for them so much I didn't want the service and treatment they would get from gm/dm to reflect on me and the type of business I always gave them. All in all stay ten miles away, even if you get hired as a GM in training they are back stabbing the people there currently. And if your too dumb to figure out why that's bad that means that they will do the same thing to YOU. They post jobs on Craigslist all the time and are desperate to find people who will just take the money and get treated like an idiot.

Advice to Management

Preach customer service and satisfaction . The reason we kept you minimal (while I was at competition ) is because we didn't hide that you will pay more for rent to own. we treated people with respect because they pay our paycheck. That is why not long after my tenure there your store that should and could have put the competitor on there heels closed it's doors for good. You had a 40 mile radius of nothing but your competition you could have held the counter up and had 1500 customers easily from all the people who leave R*nt-a-cen!er because they don't like some dumb random thing about rac.

Good old Boys Company, Family Life and Personal growth means absolutely nothing. absolutely forget about having a work

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Ithaca, NY

I worked at SEI/Aaron's

Pros

Once you work for sei Aarons, any other job you get is the greatest thing that came your way.

Cons

50 + hours, no work / life balance, management that kissers butt gets moved up for promotions, nobody in the store has worked for the store more than a year or two, they change managers like monthly, you are a number to them , $$$$$ is all that matters, core values are non existence. folks one simple formula see what there business plan is ( rip the poor and people that fell through the cracks) a company which evolves around that is going to do the same to you. you have been warned !!! if you want a dead end career fearful of being fired daily for reasons beyond your control work for SEI AARONS

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the same way you would want to be treated. its just that simple !!!!!!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed