SEI Investments
www.seic.com Oaks, PA 1000 to 5000 Employees

SEI Investments Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

SEI Investments Chairman and CEO Alfred P. West Jr.

Alfred P. West Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance if that is what you are looking for"
    in 18 reviews
  • "It is a great work environment, unlike any other"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Do to the size of the company, the full notion of "open environment" is hard to achieve"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Hard to define career path, Hard to get pay increases,"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

DO NOT waste your time. WORST and UNCOMFORTABLE WORKING ENVIRONMENT I've ever been a part of. Horrible place to work.

Accounting Analyst (Former Employee)
    Oaks, PA

ProsThere were no PROS about SEI.

Cons-No Training until 3 months after I started. Thrown into the work on your own, and was expected to know everything within a few days.

-Supervisors look the other way when you walk by them in the hallway. No "Good mornings", "How are you doing?", "How was your weekend?", or even a "Hello." If you see one of your supervisors in the parking garage, bathroom, or cafeteria, they just ignore you and keep quiet. It was the most AWKWARD ENVIRONMENT. Everyone was very ignorant and there is NO OPEN CULTURE at all. If anyone else saw an open culture, let me know.

-Hours were awful. I was told my hours were 9am-5:30pm, but I had to wait for emails later in the day that always came later than 5:30pm. The email was delayed numerous times and I ended up staying until after 6pm, even 6:30pm on a regular basis.

-Awful pay for the workload. I arrived slightly before 9am everyday and got to work right away. Constantly busy the entire day, and rarely had time to eat lunch. The department doesn't give overtime, so don't think about putting it on your time sheet.

-The Human Resources department were not helpful at all. They were never in the office to respond to new hire questions. Everytime I emailed them, I got an auto response: "On vacation..." They took at least 3 days to respond to my emails, and didn't even know the answers all the time.

-I was told by my supervisors in a meeting, "DO NOT LEAVE DURING THE FIRE DRILL". Myself, along with my other coworkers, had to stay at our desks to do work during a fire drill. The fire chiefs inspected the building and looked more confused than we were. I don't even think it's legal to tell your employees to ignore the fire drill.

- Such a high turnover rate. From the very first day, I heard nothing but "I want to leave this place so bad", "I had an interview last week for another company", "There is nothing good about this place." Every single person in my department, including some supervisors, told me they were looking to leave ASAP.

Worst place to work. Do not waste your time. Rather have worked in retail than this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your supervisors and managers to respect and create an open culture with their employees. It definitely isn't happening, and everyone is leaving the company. There's a reason why your turnover rate is the highest rate. You better change and monitor every department, because I can't see how a company can be successful when you pay to "train" new employees and they leave within 6 months. Stop focusing on artwork, and focus on the employees.

Very open and laid back environment

Operations Analyst - IMS (Current Employee)
    Oaks, PA

ProsIt is a very laid back environment.

ConsCould be too laid back.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key.

Great Place to Finish a Career, Bad Place to start

ProsGreat work/life balance, the campus and location are great

ConsPoor pay seems to be a recurring theme for employees who began their career with the company

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee morale

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible place to work, Low pay,Bad Treatment, Zero to No Diversity

Accounting Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsA chance to learn the Investments Services Industry

ConsA whole lot of pressure on you to learn everyone in a short time, your buddy barely wants to help you, Supervisors don't do much work but they don't want to help you. they just expect you to know everything right after they teach it to you once

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less Lazy, give your employees more time to learn and PAY them, have some diversity at your company( all white males at the executive level and no one of color at all)

Solid Company to Begin a Career

Trust Operations (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits
    Flexible Hours
    Decentralized work environment
    The art and campus are great
    Solid food options
    Nice gym.

ConsSalaries across the board are far too low for the industry.
    Company is far too client-driven relative to the importance of the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know my Pros are listed more than my Cons, but that is to only magnify how large of issues these two are. The business plan of this company is entirely based around outsourcing and reducing costs - and understandably so.

But because of this there's less value put on the employee and rewarding their work. You will continue to lose highly skilled and intelligent employees due to not coming even close to a competitive salary.

The office environment is unique with open floor space but stress and depression destroys it.

Fund Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsIf you enjoy working with high stress and low morale with low salary. Its quicker to get Promoted to Accountant II and supervisor since They don't stay long. You will probably have to work harder and suck up to supervisor and volunteer to take things that you can handle without messing up too much. Plus it feels like data entry

ConsTemp starts at 15/hr and Perm Starting Salary is 35k. After 1 year, salary goes up to 38k and thats it. Work even harder to get Get promoted to Fund Accountant II, salary starts at 41k.. There are NO Christmas party like most companies and there are NO Christmas Bonus. We'll be lucky if we get a $10 gift card. DECEMBER is a HELL month because most accountant takes off and you will have to take an extra work load to cover their funds. 1-2 person leaves each month in a team of 9-16 members and you will have to work harder to cover their funds until they hire a new person. The hiring takes about 2-4 weeks and that new person will go through at least 1-2 weeks before they can take over the easy funds. You do the math! Your workload will increase and probably won't decrease.. BE WARNED! Most people like the company before they start but after a month, They will regret their decision. If you get an offer from SEI and from another company, You better choose that other company. Stress level is extremely high and underpaid. By the way, This is reference to Accounting Analyst and Fund Accountant from SEI. You will see this available position a lot in monsters, indeed, careerbuilder, and from temp agency. Also, don't get trick when they give you a tour around their art display in an effort to trick you into selecting SEI from other competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale are dangerously low with this unique open space desk that spread like virus. Stop using free to cheap alternative to increase morale and falsely promoting that SEI got the best workplace environment.

IMS Supervisor

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Oaks, PA

ProsPeople there are great, you get a lot of experience and make a lot of friends.

ConsThe salary does not always seem like fair compensation, but if you are coming out of college the experience can be priceless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay competitive with the industry to reduce turnover.

Great company to start right out of college.

Fund Analyst (Current Employee)
    Oaks, PA

ProsGreat experience, gained a lot of knowledge

ConsThe pay structure is kind of low

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the younger generation of workers

Excellent place to work, rewarded if you work hard\perform in roles

Oaks, PA

ProsFlexibility\work from home option great for people with families. On-site gym. Open culture\friendly employees. Great vacation benefits. On-site cafeteria. Running trail behind office.

ConsOpen environment can be a little noisy\distracting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow when to bail on a project that has cost the company over $1 billion and is not profitable

Good place to start out. Poor Pay

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Oaks, PA

ProsGreat place to start out right from college.

ConsThe pay is almost hilariously low. A lot of lateral movement

Worked for SEI Investments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SEI Investments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SEI Investments CEO Alfred P. West Jr. All 149 reviews posted anonymously by SEI Investments employees.