SEIU
www.seiu.org Washington, DC 500 to 999 Employees

SEIU Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014
SEIU – Washington – “SEIU headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Photo…”

SEIU President Mary Kay Henry

Mary Kay Henry

Pros:
  • "Work with some very interesting people"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great co-workers and good benefits"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "SEIU wears it's reputation for a terrible work/life balance as a badge of honor"
    in 12 reviews
  • "No work life balance (you are expected to drop your life with little to no notice)"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lack of common sense, Looking for trouble

Fairfax, VA

ProsPay, chance to help workers. It's also good to learn about organizing and life from the rank-and-file members.

ConsI get the feeling I was just brought in temporarily to satisfy a budget requirement. During the initial interview I got the feeling that they didn't even bother to read my resume. They started off talking to me like I was stupid. They asked what my experience with unions was, which is the usual SEIU approach to anyone they don't know. They just assume you're ignorant of the labor movement. Had they looked at my resume they wouldn't need to ask that question.

I was given a one-month Organizer in Training (OIT) position. I was partnered with this guy who did nothing but yell at me and talk to me like I was dumb. He would ask me a bunch of smart-alack questions where I would always be wrong. He kept treating me like I didn't know how to plan ahead or keep my documents in order, as if this isn't something they teach you in middle school. I never received any turf to organize or any important documents to begin with.

Two weeks into the "training," I was told I wasn't going to pass. I had only been there for two weeks and wasn't given a serious chance to prove myself. On the third week I was fired.

When I asked the organizing director about it, she said two weeks is enough to tell if someone has what it takes. However, the employee policy said OITs were supposed to be brought on for six months. The SEIU international policy used to be three months. I was only given one month, and unfairly cut loose after three weeks. Where does this woman get off thinking she knows better than the people who wrote the original policies? Why did they violate their own policies?

The lead organizer told me I wasn't going to pass the training because he is looking for another him. Think about that.

You can't expect trainees to perform on the level of those who have been there for a long time. If you are unable to handle a trainee, don't bring one on. Common sense 101.

When I brought up how I was treated unfairly, they took it as a badge of honor. They think it's acceptable to treat younger staff like dirt because it builds character. This is wrong. SEIU used to invest in training the next generation of organizers, now they hold young people at arm's length and treat us like morons. This is one of the reasons union density is declining in the US, they have no respect for the next generation. Something tells me they don't even care.

Oh, for what it is worth, membership in the local had been on the decline around the time I started. They reported their lowest numbers ever at the one monthly membership meeting I attended. Clearly the organizing "experts" at SEIU aren't as good as they say they are.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some respect for younger folks, unless, of course, you don't care whether or not SEIU will be around 25 years from now.

A social movement corporation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork with and get to know interesting people. Connected to different industries such as building service, health care, or janitors. Excellent benefits and health insurance.

ConsVery little collaborative attitude, ironically. Expectation of 50-60 hours of work per week. Corporate attitude where the old timers know better.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box and aim for a healthier staff that can achieve work-life balance.

Chew you up and spit you out

Organizer In Training (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to meet and speak with tons of members. Not a long hiring process, because they're looking for a lot of bodies to throw at problems.

ConsPretty much everything wrong you can imagine senior management of an organization could do, they did. Good employees would be punished for making bad, but protected employees look bad. If you have a Rabbi, you're protected, otherwise only a matter of time till you're fired. But once you reach a certain level, you're certain to fail up.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee new employees as a resource worth investing in. Hold senior/middle management accountable.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SEIU was a learning experience, but not a long term option

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSEIU had a solid organizing base

Consthe top-down hierarchical structure is too politicized

Senior IT Manager

Senior IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Fairfield, CA

ProsConveniently located, good co-workers, some flexibility

ConsLong hours, some traveling, changing work schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a disconnect between management and staff. Management needs better communication.

organizer

New York, NY

Proscould fool yourself into thinking you were helping people some days

Consawful job terrible bosses I should have never trusted any of them

Advice to Senior Managementstop being such hypocrites

Think you work hard now?

ProsA sense of purpose abounds
    Most staff are supportive and friendly
    Tremendous benefits, decent salary
    you can move up, do lots of different things

ConsSEIU wears it's reputation for a terrible work/life balance as a badge of honor. Most never work a regular work week and burnout is high.
    Organization tries to do everything, can't focus
    Professional development is a joke.
    Many managers haven't seen a raise in a while

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure senior management really cares so I won't waste your time.

Use you and spit you out.

Organizer (Current Employee)

ProsMeeting dedicated/amazing workers.
    Working with a dedicated team of people.
    Creating social change.

ConsLong irregular hours means 12-24 hour days, seven days a week. Management does not care about you as a worker; which is a sad irony at a union who claims to fight for worker rights. You will have no work/life balance here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop getting rid of good organizers and invest in your employees.

Rewarding job but terrible work life balance

Organizer In Training (Former Employee)

ProsPotential to make an impact
    Opportunity to learn many new skills
    Opportunity to advance
    Good benefits

ConsInsanely inconsistant management
    Training is hit or miss.
    60 - 70 hr work weeks. Burnout is easy.
    The benefits are good but most people who work here gain at least 50 pounds due to stress and bad diet.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on streamlining workload and dividing tasks. Too much falls on too few shoulders.

Be Careful Who You Work With!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay at SEIU can be fantastic as well as their benefits package. Working for union members can also be rewarding. The same can be for building a bond with your team - depending on who you work with!

ConsYou need to be super careful of what department you will be working in....it makes a huge difference! Crazy hours and deadlines in some departments make it seem odd you are fighting for worker's rights. Management can also get over the top in certain departments and people get super comfortable and lazy while getting a great salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what you are fighting for and appreciate the hard work of your employees.

Worked for SEIU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SEIU reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SEIU CEO Mary Kay Henry. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by SEIU employees.