SEIU

www.seiu.org

SEIU Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014
SEIU – Washington – “SEIU headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Photo…”

SEIU President Mary Kay Henry

Mary Kay Henry

Pros
  • Work with some very interesting people(in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers and good benefits(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • SEIU wears it's reputation for a terrible work/life balance as a badge of honor(in 12 reviews)

• No work life balance (you are expected to drop your life with little to no notice)(in 6 reviews)

Make life better for workers, but not necessarily for you.

Organizer (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsFighting the boss, solidarity, organizing

ConsNo time for anything but work.

You work 24/7 for a pittance & they treat their workers worst than the companies they are going after.

Organizer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- You don't always have to dress formally.
    - Casual workplace.
    - A lot of idle time that can be used to socialize.
    - Some of the union members are great people to meet.
    - Some of the co-workers are wonderful people who really want to help change working conditions.

Cons-Long unnecessary hours ...seriously you stay there for about 10 hours and probably only work for half-the time because a few of your hours are wasted doing nothing because everything is on a need to know basis...but then before you leave they find something for you to do and then make you stay the extra hours.
    -They make you harass the union members like there is no tomorrow. If they have a campaign going on they will make you call them at least 20 times each, to the point where you're wondering if they can sue you for harassment.
    -Management has a way of not caring for its own workers or compensating them fairly for their time and work - which is a shame because how can you trust a union to represent you if they can't even pay fair wages and give fair working hours to their own employees.
    -SALARY - you make a certain amount a week on a salary, but there are weeks where you work 6 to 7 days a week for months at a time depending on what they have you working on. So the job is not very cost effective. If you think about the amount you get paid a week, minus taxes, minus the gas you use, the time you spend driving, the 20+ extra hours a week you are working and the low mileage reimbursement, then you are making close to minimum wage, plus not having set working hours. You pretty much work a full-time plus a part-time job, but make a pittance compared to actually working those two jobs elsewhere.
    -You are hired on temporary positions, which it seems to me that they do that so you work 6-7 days a week 60+ hours for low pay, only to think that all of this hard work will pay off later with a permanent position and higher pay, when in reality you might be told 6 months in that they might not have a position for you later on, or find an excuse as to why you won't be placed into another project.
    -If one of your supervisors has been there for years and they treat you poorly, regardless of who you complain to and them appearing to take what you say into consideration, nothing changes. They just want to give you the false impression that something is being done. Your supervisor will not be removed and they will more than likely not change their ways. The only option you have left is to quit and find a new job. It is a bit sad because lots of great workers that can further workers rights and SEIU's mission are lost for the sake of keeping one bad seed around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your workers with the same respect that you treat your members and best of all give them the same rights - fair pay and fair hours. There are many Organizers that had so much potential to do great things for SEIU, but it seems that the quality of workers is lost for the sake of a false ideal and poor working conditions. Seriously, this place makes a person question unions, because how can a union treat its employees so poorly still be able to be a champion for its members workers-rights.

Unambitious need only apply

Field Researcher (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe pros boil down to the terms of the job
    1. Good pay
    2. Short work week ( 7 hr days)
    3. Great benefits

ConsI worked in the Health Care Research Team as a Field Researcher on the Data Team. This branch analyzes state and federal claims data for quality and cost performance problems in hospital systems. Organizers use the findings for campaign fodder.

This is an incredibly slow job with little challenge and contrary to what you will hear in your interview, hard work is not rewarded. There is a stereotypical union culture where advancement is based on tenure not merit, and cronyism and laziness prevail.

Important details about the models used and the management style. There is only one model used: weighted averages are calculated and deviation scores compared. Inefficient and impractical especially for big data. Regarding management style, the supervisor is extremely unprofessional and immature, uses an unbelievable amount of profanity, and just doesn't do his job. Worse, your projects depend on how much your supervisor like you, which further stunts your professional growth if you aren't willing to stoop to that level. Needless to say, it's a very uncomfortable and intellectually ungratifying place to work.

What I'm thankful for is that I got experience using this data, because it's enabled me to get a great job in data analysis. If you live in Columbus and are more concerned about flexible work hours, pay and benefits, this works. If you are concerned about work content and experience, I would look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo hope.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Compnay

Organizer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI really enjoyed working for SEIU. Training provided and an opportunity to advance. Freedom to plan daily activities.

ConsIf you do not like to travel and live in a hotel then this is not the job for you. Must be very persuasive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to management except to continue to working on improvements .

Organizer In Training

Organizer In Training (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHealth benefits, benefits...that's it!

Consthey treat their workers like scum. Work daily 12-14 hours a day for no apparent reason other than management feeling like the cause will be justified only if we are out on the field for that long. You are disposable to campaigns all across the country for one year only to be laid off in the end. This program is not to advance or train anyone. It's simply a reason for International to pay it's workers 32,000 a year for working 100 hours a week and able to fire them whenever they please. You are on one year probation so they can fire you whenever they want. Not to mention they NEVER follow your contract. You're suppose to get every other weekend off and most times you're called to go in anyway. If you speak up....You are FIRED!!!! Don't waste your time here. Heard AFSCME has a better OIT program. They are everything they fight against. Workers are treated like crap, management makes triple the salary organizers get paid and do absolutely nothing and the O.I.T. program is a their way of exploiting young college grads by paying them less and getting rid of them when they're done with their campaign.

Advice to Senior Managementwhile I was an O.I.T I met incredibly talented O.I.T's that would have been a valuable asset to the labor movement. When we have to sit in people's living rooms and explain to them the importance of workers right yet we get back to the office and are silenced, it becomes incredibly challenging for most of us and we end up losing the drive. Please just treat your workers right. It would have also been nice to actually learn how to union organize too. Not just go to protests and yell.

Too much office politics

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThey paid a good salary and benefits were very good.

ConsOffice politics, upper management favors certain people, force employees they don't think fit in out of the organization, forced to work outside regular work hours with no additional pay.

House of cards

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat benefit package for all employees

ConsNo work life balance. entire staff are over worked, never recognized for a job well done. Lacks compensation for management.

Advice to Senior Managementbreak down the walls that have been built. Communication is a valuable tool, use it. tell staff when they do a good job, it goes far.

Stifiling, stifiling, stifiling.

Customer Service (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people I work with are awsome.

ConsThere is no opportunity for growth, all of your advancement is based on the personal mood of management or the director. There is only one manager in the office who is truly respected by all.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps you should not treat your employees as if they are morons, it is insulting and condesending, it breeds contempt and a lack of commitment to the company.

Union that treats its employees worse than the Employers they fight.

Management (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsYou get to on some level help people that can't or would not help themselves.

ConsThey treat their employees worse than the employer's they fight.

Union that treats employees the opposite of how they say employees should be treated.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsLittle Experience Required
    Good Health Insurance
    Weekly paychecks

ConsNo work life balance (you are expected to drop your life with little to no notice).
    60+ hour work week.
    You are judged based on how well you are liked, not how well you perform.
    Upper Management is incompetent and lacks even the smallest degree of foresight.
    Does not believe in Union principles (i.e. seniority, overtime, 40 hour work week, weekends off).
    Poor pay and extensive travel required.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what the labor movement is all about. Work on maintaining good staff instead of seeing people as numbers. Try practicing what you preach. Don't terminate people for staff union involvement. If you constantly do what you ask employers not to do, how can you have any credibility at the bargaining table?

Worked for SEIU? Contribute to the Community!