SEIU Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014
2.4

SEIU President Mary Kay Henry
Mary Kay Henry

Pros
  • Work with some very interesting people (in 6 reviews)

• Great co-workers and good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • SEIU wears it's reputation for a terrible work/life balance as a badge of honor (in 12 reviews)

• No work life balance (you are expected to drop your life with little to no notice) (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at SEIU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers and good benefits

Cons

Lack of opportunities for advancement

Better relations with local staff

good

Current Employee - Data Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at SEIU full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good people to work with, great benefits. $0 copay for both medical and dental

Cons

because it's a union, pays are not great, but the benefits more than makes up for it

OIT program- A little good and the rest awful

Current Employee - Organizer In Training
    Current Employee - Organizer In Training

I have been working at SEIU full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good experience for new organizers
    Conceptually sound campaigns

Cons

Culture of fear and manipulation
    Management frequently lies
    Work for a union but workers are treated with disrespect and indifference
    Members are treated like numbers, all the emphasis is on getting more dues cards-- not leadership development or movement building in the grassroots
    Organizers are taught to compete with each other, winning and loosing feel equally bad
    OITs are on probation for a year and can be fired at any time-- no sense of job stability

Sensitivity training. Treat your workers and members with respect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of common sense, Looking for trouble

Former Employee - Organizer In Training  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Organizer In Training in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SEIU as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Pay, chance to help workers. It's also good to learn about organizing and life from the rank-and-file members.

Cons

I get the feeling I was just brought in temporarily to satisfy a budget requirement. During the initial interview I got the feeling that they didn't even bother to read my resume. They started off talking to me like I was stupid. They asked what my experience with unions was, which is the usual SEIU approach to anyone they don't know. They just assume you're ignorant of the labor movement. Had they looked at my resume they wouldn't need to ask that question.

I was given a one-month Organizer in Training (OIT) position. I was partnered with this guy who did nothing but yell at me and talk to me like I was dumb. He would ask me a bunch of smart-alack questions where I would always be wrong. He kept treating me like I didn't know how to plan ahead or keep my documents in order, as if this isn't something they teach you in middle school. I never received any turf to organize or any important documents to begin with.

Two weeks into the "training," I was told I wasn't going to pass. I had only been there for two weeks and wasn't given a serious chance to prove myself. On the third week I was fired.

When I asked the organizing director about it, she said two weeks is enough to tell if someone has what it takes. However, the employee policy said OITs were supposed to be brought on for six months. The SEIU international policy used to be three months. I was only given one month, and unfairly cut loose after three weeks. Where does this woman get off thinking she knows better than the people who wrote the original policies? Why did they violate their own policies?

The lead organizer told me I wasn't going to pass the training because he is looking for another him. Think about that.

You can't expect trainees to perform on the level of those who have been there for a long time. If you are unable to handle a trainee, don't bring one on. Common sense 101.

When I brought up how I was treated unfairly, they took it as a badge of honor. They think it's acceptable to treat younger staff like dirt because it builds character. This is wrong. SEIU used to invest in training the next generation of organizers, now they hold young people at arm's length and treat us like morons. This is one of the reasons union density is declining in the US, they have no respect for the next generation. Something tells me they don't even care.

Oh, for what it is worth, membership in the local had been on the decline around the time I started. They reported their lowest numbers ever at the one monthly membership meeting I attended. Clearly the organizing "experts" at SEIU aren't as good as they say they are.

Learn some respect for younger folks, unless, of course, you don't care whether or not SEIU will be around 25 years from now.

Mixed Feelings

Former Employee - Lead Organizer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Organizer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at SEIU full-time for more than a year

Pros

If want to learn organizing, they will ake you better at it.

Cons

Sucking up gets you promoted faster than working hard.
    Mucky Mucks run the union- not the members.
    Rank and file staff could be treated with respect.

SEIU

I worked at SEIU full-time

Pros

Money was ok
    I got to see the country
    met long lasting friends
    Help underprivileged workers
    Actually learned alot about myself and others

Cons

They don't practice what they preach
    I was belittled as an employee
    I was also over worked with little time off

Low work challenge, toxic environment

Former Employee - Research Analyst I  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Research Analyst I in Columbus, OH

I worked at SEIU full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits to working here are the work hours ( strict 7 hours per day and flexible scheduling), and the benefits ( prescriptions are $1!).

Cons

This is a data analyst job. Apart from their being no real work challenge, the management is incredibly immature. It's a very toxic work environment. Getting feedback on work, and respect only comes if the upper-management happens to like you - so if you belong to an evangelical neo-Christian community.

Also, you get an insider view into how unions operate; the amount of waste is so disheartening. They are taking money from low income workers and spending it needlessly on trips, supplies, food, etc.

Needs to apply business practices as opposed to management by personality.

A social movement corporation

I worked at SEIU full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with and get to know interesting people. Connected to different industries such as building service, health care, or janitors. Excellent benefits and health insurance.

Cons

Very little collaborative attitude, ironically. Expectation of 50-60 hours of work per week. Corporate attitude where the old timers know better.

Think outside the box and aim for a healthier staff that can achieve work-life balance.

Chew you up and spit you out

Former Employee - Organizer In Training
    Former Employee - Organizer In Training

I worked at SEIU full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to meet and speak with tons of members. Not a long hiring process, because they're looking for a lot of bodies to throw at problems.

Cons

Pretty much everything wrong you can imagine senior management of an organization could do, they did. Good employees would be punished for making bad, but protected employees look bad. If you have a Rabbi, you're protected, otherwise only a matter of time till you're fired. But once you reach a certain level, you're certain to fail up.

See new employees as a resource worth investing in. Hold senior/middle management accountable.

SEIU was a learning experience, but not a long term option

I worked at SEIU full-time for less than a year

Pros

SEIU had a solid organizing base

Cons

the top-down hierarchical structure is too politicized

Worked for SEIU? Contribute to the Community!