www.seiu.org
Employer Engaged

It's a great mission and does amazing things for the members but not the staff

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SEIU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great mission, awesome people to work with. Lot's of fun at the office, a sense of comittment and community among co-workers.

Cons

No room to move up, they never promote from within, you have to literally fight for a raise. Management gets bonuses but the staff gets stuck with a bad contract. At one point management offered a 1% raise...ridiculous.

Value your staff! They are the army making everything possible. Make them feel appreciated.

A supportive, forward-thinking institution committed to social & economic justice.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, effective coworkers. The organization works on wide range of issues and fights, and most staff have an opportunity to occasionally change roles and work on different teams. Beautiful office space in a great location. They also offer excellent benefits.

Cons

Internal politics are driving excellent, talented staff out of the organization. There is not a culture of transparency and trust. Simply doing a great job is not enough to thrive in this organization, especially at the most senior levels. You must be willing to play politics to get work done.

Look at how much staff turnover is costing the union (and its members) and do something about it.

Intervention Required

Former Employee - Organizer
    Former Employee - Organizer

I worked at SEIU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On job training, good co workers, devoted members.

Cons

Long irregular hours. No family life. Married to the job. No life balance. Too much politics and corruption!

When you say you are fighting for social justice, proof it.

Good

I have been working at SEIU full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and good benefits

Cons

Lack of opportunities for advancement

Better relations with local staff

good

Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at SEIU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good people to work with, great benefits. $0 copay for both medical and dental

Cons

because it's a union, pays are not great, but the benefits more than makes up for it

OIT program- A little good and the rest awful

Current Employee - Organizer In Training
    Current Employee - Organizer In Training

I have been working at SEIU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good experience for new organizers
    Conceptually sound campaigns

Cons

Culture of fear and manipulation
    Management frequently lies
    Work for a union but workers are treated with disrespect and indifference
    Members are treated like numbers, all the emphasis is on getting more dues cards-- not leadership development or movement building in the grassroots
    Organizers are taught to compete with each other, winning and loosing feel equally bad
    OITs are on probation for a year and can be fired at any time-- no sense of job stability

Sensitivity training. Treat your workers and members with respect.

Mixed Feelings

Former Employee - Lead Organizer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Organizer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at SEIU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If want to learn organizing, they will ake you better at it.

Cons

Sucking up gets you promoted faster than working hard.
    Mucky Mucks run the union- not the members.
    Rank and file staff could be treated with respect.

Lack of common sense, Looking for trouble

Former Contractor - Organizer In Training in Fairfax, VA
    Former Contractor - Organizer In Training in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SEIU as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay, chance to help workers. It's also good to learn about organizing and life from the rank-and-file members.

Cons

I get the feeling I was just brought in temporarily to satisfy a budget requirement. During the initial interview I got the feeling that they didn't even bother to read my resume. They started off talking to me like I was stupid. They asked what my experience with unions was, which is the usual SEIU approach to anyone they don't know. They just assume you're ignorant of the labor movement. Had they looked at my resume they wouldn't need to ask that question.

I was given a one-month Organizer in Training (OIT) position. I was partnered with this guy who did nothing but yell at me and talk to me like I was dumb. He would ask me a bunch of smart-alack questions where I would always be wrong. He kept treating me like I didn't know how to plan ahead or keep my documents in order, as if this isn't something they teach you in middle school. I never received any turf to organize or any important documents to begin with.

Two weeks into the "training," I was told I wasn't going to pass. I had only been there for two weeks and wasn't given a serious chance to prove myself. On the third week I was fired.

When I asked the organizing director about it, she said two weeks is enough to tell if someone has what it takes. However, the employee policy said OITs were supposed to be brought on for six months. The SEIU international policy used to be three months. I was only given one month, and unfairly cut loose after three weeks. Where does this woman get off thinking she knows better than the people who wrote the original policies? Why did they violate their own policies?

The lead organizer told me I wasn't going to pass the training because he is looking for another him. Think about that.

You can't expect trainees to perform on the level of those who have been there for a long time. If you are unable to handle a trainee, don't bring one on. Common sense 101.

When I brought up how I was treated unfairly, they took it as a badge of honor. They think it's acceptable to treat younger staff like dirt because it builds character. This is wrong. SEIU used to invest in training the next generation of organizers, now they hold young people at arm's length and treat us like morons. This is one of the reasons union density is declining in the US, they have no respect for the next generation. Something tells me they don't even care.

Oh, for what it is worth, membership in the local had been on the decline around the time I started. They reported their lowest numbers ever at the one monthly membership meeting I attended. Clearly the organizing "experts" at SEIU aren't as good as they say they are.

Learn some respect for younger folks, unless, of course, you don't care whether or not SEIU will be around 25 years from now.

I worked at SEIU full-time

Pros

Money was ok
    I got to see the country
    met long lasting friends
    Help underprivileged workers
    Actually learned alot about myself and others

Cons

They don't practice what they preach
    I was belittled as an employee
    I was also over worked with little time off

Low work challenge, toxic environment

Former Employee - Research Analyst I in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Research Analyst I in Columbus, OH

I worked at SEIU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits to working here are the work hours ( strict 7 hours per day and flexible scheduling), and the benefits ( prescriptions are $1!).

Cons

This is a data analyst job. Apart from their being no real work challenge, the management is incredibly immature. It's a very toxic work environment. Getting feedback on work, and respect only comes if the upper-management happens to like you - so if you belong to an evangelical neo-Christian community.

Also, you get an insider view into how unions operate; the amount of waste is so disheartening. They are taking money from low income workers and spending it needlessly on trips, supplies, food, etc.

Needs to apply business practices as opposed to management by personality.

SEIU Photos

SEIU headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Photo thanks to Flickr user mar is sea Y, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)

+ Add Photo