SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West

Reset
2.1
Dave Regan

1. Hard , Inspiring Work, Well compensated

I have been working at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Promotions come from within - if you are interested in gaining leadership experience you will find it open to you. Loafers are not tolerated - we are doing hard inspiring work and there's no time for lazy people to draw a paycheck off union members dues. Tackling large , society wide problems. Amazing compensation package. My husband makes more $ then me , but my pension is a super valuable resource.

Cons

You may have to deal with aggressively entitled staff that think making 80+ grand a year with great benefits is a burden because you need to work a Saturday every once in a while.

Worst place to work

I have been working at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West

Pros

Seemingly nice wages and benefits until you work 80+ hrs consistently and can't get a day off to use any of your benefits.

Cons

This is an anti-union environment, where labor has truly died. You receive no training, no advancements, or any genuine compassion. Union reps are glorified salesmen for COPE, which is an important VOLUNTARY contribution. If you do not make goals, management will assume you have done nothing and are worthless. What a sad excuse for a union. I would not recommend this union to represent anyone or for anyone to work for.

Never felt more exploited in my life

I worked at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West full-time

Pros

The salary and benefits are a living wage, which seems like the least a labor union should provide for its employees, and in fact, it is

Cons

There is an expectation that we are essentially on call 24/7. Nightly reports are demanded to keep the stress on staff about how much 'political money' we raise, and we were often told to work 14 hour days. In regards to the political money, have you ever seen those people who stand on the street and try to get you to give monthly donations for the environment or whatever? Well that is basically 90% of your job and the only thing this place really cares about. Be prepared to NOT BE TRAINED or helped with any ACTUAL LABOR ORGANIZING OR REPRESENTATION. There is a general culture of fear all over this place, and staff are constantly stressed out and scared of being fired or written up for not meeting exorbitant goals that only a small number of staff can actually meet anyway. And the union members are well aware that their union is just sitting back and collecting their dues with zero regard to the real needs of their members. Be prepared to deal with very angry and bitter members who are constantly trying to decertify from the union. Also be prepared for that to somehow be your fault if it happens on your turf after two months of employment.

Advice to Management

Um... quit and let people who actually care about the labor movement take over?

Modern day slavery

Former Employee - Union Representative/Organizer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Union Representative/Organizer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only real pro of working here is the benefits and pay. However after working 80-90 hour weeks, it's not enough

Cons

Horrible work like balance, no respect for employees, unreasonable work expectations, a lot of inter office politics. Bottom kind unless your sleeping with someone don't expect to move up here.

Advice to Management

I would give advice but they wouldn't really care

6. Ok good mission in theory

I have been working at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West full-time

Pros

They're working on some exciting things that will truly help people if they can get them done, for some office staff the hours and pay are great, casual dress code, some employees have very ergonomic desk equipment

Cons

some positions have no growth or any skill building to be had and some processes are too manual for this day and age and better software could be employed

Advice to Management

treat the organizers/reps better, think before you leap into campaigns for example home care workers and being too aggressive with voluntary contributions

7. Best UNION JOB I've had.

Current Employee - LC in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - LC in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, pay is good, there's room to grow. Staff development is a priority. The vision and goal of the organization is clear. Membership is just amazing, despite of all the struggle in the history is this local the staff and members had learn how to keep on going strong.

Cons

This is a very aggressive, blunt and direct organization. If you don't like to get feedbacks, or work hard this is not the place for you. Go away.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your staff look at the reviews in this page! They will stab you in the back.

Awful,. Awful.

Former Employee - Field Organizer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Organizer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No real good reason to work here. Nothing. Benefits used to be better.

Cons

I noticed that the last review gave praise to this place. Obviously, a five star review in light of all the very bad reviews would seem to indicate that it might have been written by management. I see that all over Glassdoor and people notice it right away. I will join the rest of the bad reviewers and give my two cents on this place. I worked there as a union organizer and rep (aren't we all) for the better part of two years and can honestly say it is by far the worst and meanest place I've ever experienced. All the stuff others are saying is true and can only add that the nine month probation policy is absolutely awful. I didn't finish mine and was let go because of performance issues. This is the typical reason they give for letting new organizers go but underlying that are many other reasons with the most common being that the worker just didn't brown nose enough to stay onboard. There is a belief there that if you simply keep your mouth shut, don't ask questions and do anything the managers tell you then you can keep your job. I heard this from the current secretary of the staff union, who I've come to find out is a rat that works for management (and her husband too) at the so-called orientation meeting for new employees. It sucked to hear that but I found out it's true. The ones who make it there really just have no spine and will do what it takes to keep their jobs including throw people under the bus. Bullying of workers by management and by other staff goes on there quite a bit. I got yelled at by my coordinator at every single debrief meeting the entire time I was there. I don't think I learned much during that time except that I hated that place and getting fired was the best thing for me. Thank god the recession is over. Dave Regan, the current president doesn't seem to care one bit about all these internal problems.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management and I agree with other reviewers in that a large change must come soon in order to fix the dysfunction in the company culture.

Do not work here. It is a nightmare. Union that is anti union and cruel to its own staff

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West

Pros

Decent pay and great benefits. That's about it. And after the number of hours you work a week the pay isn't actually that great

Cons

Zero training or support from management, terrible internal politics where staff are worked obscene hours and treated abusively. Management is wildly incompetent and all they seem to care about is how much money you can bring into the political fund. They seem to not care about members and brush off rep issues. Upper management could care less about you as long as you tow their bottom line. Oh the irony!

Advice to Management

Start caring about your staff and members. Allow staff a work life balance and treat them with respect. Stop displaying anti union sentiment to internal union! Hold strong to the values we are supposed to hold other employers to! Stop the favoritism, the obscene work load and focus one ounce of time on the issues actually affecting members

Terrible. Fear-mongering management organizes against its own members and politics

Former Employee - Union Organizer
    Former Employee - Union Organizer

I worked at SEIU United Healthcare Workers - West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly okay pay for very little responsibilities (because management doesn't trust its own staff). But for the pay, you sell your soul and have to deal with the mess of an organization.

Cons

9 month probation period which is a constant reminder over your head that management doesn't care about you. Zero training and support for coordinators. Manipulative politics internally and externally. For some reason staff can be members too - which they "push" you into doing to pay a couple hundred dollars back into the organization.

Advice to Management

Stop exploiting and disrespecting your staff. Dave Regan needs to leave and stop organizing against his own members.

Not Good

Pros

Decent salary, good benefits, good pension. Room for growth and promotion if you're willing to suck up, put up with a tremendous amount of bs, and if you're willing to make your job the number one priority in your life. Your hard work will be recognized, but they will continue to pile it on.

Cons

Lousy working conditions; lousy location; building is dark, dank and gross; upper management really, really doesn't care about the staff; not sure how some members of the senior management got into the positions they're in; vacations cancelled; last minute assignments with zero regard for your personal or family life.

Advice to Management

Act like you genuinely care about your staff. You're a workers organization, treat your own staff the way you expect other employers to treat our members. I personally never felt the need to be in a union, until I started working for one.

RSS Feed </> Embed