SEIU Reviews

Mary Kay Henry

1. Great organization

Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I have been working at SEIU

Pros

benefits and compensation are reasonable

Cons

work life balance should be improved

better work-life balance

2. To leadership and high-level management - staff are workers too!

I have been working at SEIU full-time

Pros

Great members.
    Fantastic health benefits.
    If you get a good manager, hold on!
    Smart staff, very dedicated.
    Good number of vacation, comp days, personal leave, and sick days.
    "Old-timers" usually really good.
    I've had some great, dedicated managers in the past. but culture has changed.
    It's not the SEIU I knew when I started several years ago, but it can be again.

Cons

No effective management training.
    High turnover/movement, including good managers who often have little power to create change and have no job protection. I've had roughly eight good managers; all but one are gone.
    Depending on your manager, work/life balance can be bad and it's getting worse for many.
    Living expenses (especially housing) are rising; SEIU staff salaries stagnant for most.
    Often, feel underappreciated.

Remember, staff are workers too! Treat us like you want employers to treat our members or your adult children.
    Let us have a life! Great people are leaving or frustrated because of unrealistic and unfair expectations. Times where it is difficult for those of us who are primary caretakers of children/elderly parents when at home (usually women/single parents).
    Use consultants less - it will save you money.
    Fill open staff jobs! It will also help with work/life balance if we aren't understaffed.
    Less about politics (both external and internal), and more about members.
    Be fair and timely about salary increases, including for "low-level" managers.
    Uneven advancement opportunities lead to frustration; hire more from within HQ staff.
    Model real respect for staff from the top (leadership and senior staff especially) and work with difficult managers to follow.
    Locals notice - I've had a couple of complaints from leaders about changes and newer managers who perhaps don't realize members and our locals are a priority.
    It can be a great place to work again for everyone, which will benefit our fantastic members too! I am writing because I care!

3. A friendly work environment.

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The culture of the employees at SEIU is great, coworkers help create a positive environment as well as the management being extremely respectful.

Cons

Certain higher-level employees have little to no consideration for lower tier employees effort and will treat them as if they have no value.

5. Legal Department Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at SEIU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a collegial, friendly atmosphere where people are happy to offer help and answer questions. The work is fast paced and varied. Even if you are an attorney, you will march and chant with signs while wearing a purple t-shirt at some point. There are not enough attorney positions to routinely offer the large number of law fellows and larger number of law clerks permanent jobs. However, plenty of law fellow positions go to former law clerks, and at least two full-time attorney positions were offered to former law fellows in the last two years. The legal department is racially diverse with people of color in management positions. The women outnumber the men nearly three to one though, so there's not much balance gender-wise. While the work is often demanding with long hours, management is understanding if someone has a family emergency or illness.

Cons

There is an expectation that we will check our work email and phone messages regularly during evenings and weekends. This seems to be a union-wide practice. It's not a spoken rule, but because most people do check their messages frequently and respond, you appear undedicated by comparison if you're sticking to M-F business hours.

6. Everyone should spend some time working for a labor union.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great introduction to the labor movement. Some very smart and dedicated people. Lots of opportunity to step out into the field and work on short term campaigns. Movement potential through networking and relationship building.

Cons

Internal politics continue to drive good people away.

7. SEIU Research: to work or not to work

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at SEIU full-time

Pros

Mission oriented, effects measurable change in organizing and bettering the working conditions for low wage workers, and the people in this department are great.

Cons

Sometimes stuck doing the same remedial task for a week straight and there tends to be a general lack of direction - learning as you go type environment.

8. Great place to make a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SEIU full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting people, chance to work on innovative projects within the labor movement, opportunities to really grow and explore new things (but sometimes you have to look for them.).

Cons

Long hours, and there can be lots of travel. You have to make a conscious effort to balance work and life.

Staff development is an area that can always use more work.

9. HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Cause. Nice, smart workers.I came to this organization thinking I could make a difference. Benefits are great.

Cons

Many!!!They lie to you to get you to start working, then they take back what they offered. My manager took credit for my work and felt threatened when I accomplished something.

Management needs sensitivity training.

10. A supportive, forward-thinking institution committed to social & economic justice.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, effective coworkers. The organization works on wide range of issues and fights, and most staff have an opportunity to occasionally change roles and work on different teams. Beautiful office space in a great location. They also offer excellent benefits.

Cons

Internal politics are driving excellent, talented staff out of the organization. There is not a culture of transparency and trust. Simply doing a great job is not enough to thrive in this organization, especially at the most senior levels. You must be willing to play politics to get work done.

Look at how much staff turnover is costing the union (and its members) and do something about it.

Be careful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at SEIU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and good compensation working for a good cause.

Cons

Frustratingly bad internal communication and a broken culture.

SEIU Photos

SEIU headquarters in Washington, D.C. (Photo thanks to Flickr user mar is sea Y, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)

+ Add Photo