SEO Inc.

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
1.8

Garry Grant

Coffee, it's important ...

I have been working at SEO Inc.

Pros

Friendly working environment, the owners are generous to a fault, in a good way. Great set of clients. Strong IT team. Gym on site.

Cons

The coffee sometimes needs help. We could use some healthy snacks.

This company has launched many careers. Overall they have given a chance to many people starting out in online marketing/digital marketing careers, and sometimes this has backfired because many of these employees have been given a false sense of easy success – in different companies there is no way they would make the pay them make here, or advance as quickly… then they get greedy and want bigger salaries and titles in short periods of time, and throw tizzy fits when they don’t get it, then they quit or get fired and leave pretty horrible reviews on glassdoor.

The company has a strong, solid methodology behind their SEO strategies, and the clients reap the benefits. The company has been around 17 years, and is not going anywhere. There is a strong client list, great IT team and dedicated, capable and caring account managers. This is really a solid company, and I’m having a great time here –I love the work and the people. I’ve worked at huge, massive companies where employees had to deal with strict HR red tape to take half a day off. I would much rather work for a company that treats it’s employees with personal respect and understanding – and that’s what I have here at SEO.

Great Company with Proven Track Record

Current Employee - Business Development in Encinitas, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Encinitas, CA

I have been working at SEO Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company with a proven track record of clients and methodology. Good team and management with many on the team for 10+ years!!! SEO Inc. started in the business before many of the first major search engines came online and before nearly anybody in the SEO business. Good company culture and many years of experience with SMB and Enterprise clients across multiple verticals.

Cons

Could use more healthy snacks.
    Working hours could be more flexible but the company is growing so there are good advancement opportunities

Awesome Company with Great Results for Clients. Plus Now the Slanderous Riff Raff is Out

I have been working at SEO Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, team of impressive SEO specialists with proven SEO methodology. Many of us have been here 5+ years. Some of us are going on 10+. Plus we have many clients that have been with us for several years, and counting. We are an extension of their web development and online marketing teams, and we feel truly vested in the success of each of our clients.

Cons

We had our share of immature, petty, incompetent employees. Thank goodness they are gone. We have brought in people who talk a great talk, but when we find out how incredibly incapable, incompetent, lazy and a detriment to the company they are, we have to let them go. Many of these fired folks have in turn written false, very negative and slanderous reviews on this site.

Conduct background checks on incoming employees. We don't need anymore con artists and schmucks who feel entitled to more than they are worth.

A Shining Example of a Marketing Agency - Politics Frowned Upon, Incompetents Filtered Out.

I have been working at SEO Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company of savvy, knowledgeable industry veterans. As with any agency job, this company requires committed dedication and attention to detail. Agency jobs are tough for all departments - IT needs to know multiple platforms , Account Management must juggle multiple clients, business development must be on top of the game and of course, all department must keep absolutely current with SEO updates as well. And they all do. At this point, the core group is a strong group of well rounded internet industry professionals.

Another "pro" is the small business feel of this company. It makes for a fun, casual atmosphere - a welcome aspect in a fast paced job.

Cons

Not necessarily a 'con', but more of a casualty of such a fast paced company is that not everyone who comes on board can make it past a few months. Within a few weeks, it's easy to identify those that will not make it in this fast paced environment. They are given the chance to succeed, given training and several chances. We hire people we see with potential, and it's painful to see those that can't keep up have to leave. This company is made up of industry veterans with a lot of knowledge to share, sometimes it's just not enough. It takes a tough, dedicated person to learn how to manage and succeed at these jobs. You have to love the work or you will hate your life and possibly even take it out on your coworkers.

Have a company wide newsletter of the top 5 items industry news items each month. We read so much on our own, that it would be nice to share the top updates that we need to know as a whole.

And company lunches and bagel Fridays don't hurt either!

Clients Beware.. Employees Watch Out!

I have been working at SEO Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Departments work well together. Coworkers are very friendly and easy to approach.

Big name clients in SEO Inc's history, although they have all left.

No longer have an office, so the CEO is letting us work out of his house.

Free Parking.

Cons

CEO makes promises and doesn't follow through.

Not one of the case studies on the website is a current client. (That says something)

Lots of money coming in, no one knows where it's going.

SEO Inc. CEO / Garry (Codename Mark) Grant tries to get competitors pitch decks and proposals to use.

Somewhat embarrassing to admit that you still work for this company with the bad reputation we have locally.

Things look pretty bad right now. Why is our official mailing address at a Postal Annex? Either we should bring in new leadership or enjoy the run we had and close the doors. Clients will continue to defect as they have been for the past 5 years.

Poor excuse for a company

I worked at SEO Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's located in the best county in the world, san diego. That's about where it ends though overall this company is a disgrace to San Diego soil.

Cons

Where do I even begin? we could start with fact that this company is a complete SCAM. The company (if you can call it that, I much prefer fraudulent den of vipers) is constantly lying to its clients and not fulfilling the terms of its contract this is partially because they don't pay their bills causing delays/ non delivery of services paid for by the clients. fun fact the reason that these services are not delivered is because the CEO takes the money and uses it to pay his bills and fulfill his nasty cigar habit

Next, let's talk about the owners.The "CEO" is no more than an incompetent, loud, con man. He often spends his "busy" days out front of the office shooting the breeze and smoking cigars with his over paid son. It is a well known fact the owners are skimming money from the company, I mean how else does the CEO's son afford a nearly $100k brand new mercedes, while collectors are constantly calling the company.

Finally we will discuss how SEO inc. treats its employees. The overall morale at SEO inc. could be described as deplorable at best. Employees are only there to get a pay check and are lucky if they get that. Fun fact #2, every pay day there is a mad dash to the local bank where employees rush to cash their check for fear that it might not clear.
     SEO inc. has some truly talented employees that are hidden away in this sinking ship of a company.

Call it a day SEO inc.

Close up shop and turn yourself in to the IRS.

Smoke & Mirrors with a dash of snakeoil.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at SEO Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are ultimately a pretty good group of people. Most of the cons are within management and out of the control of the rank and file.

Foosball Table.
    Promotions seem easy to achieve (although without pay increases) because everyone in your department will leave within a year. Unless they bring in someone new and incompetent and pay them substantially more than you make as you have to explain to them how to do their job.
    Birthday cakes.
    Flexible work hours.

Cons

Senior leadership is clueless and about 10 years behind the curve.

CEO cannot say no, so he will just say yes to avoid confrontation and never follow through.

Far below industry pay.

"Family" definitely favored.

Entire company just copies everyone else. From stolen pitch decks, to constantly being told, well if XYZ Agency does this, let's copy them and do it ourselves. CEO Garry Grant tries desperately to portray himself as a thought leader, but is a joke within the industry.

Seriously, the least creative, creative agency. They will likely steal that, just like they do the infographics for all their posts. What? A marketing agency that doesn't make infographics for their own posts? Nope, they just take them from real companies who create them. I'd suggest you go work for or with those companies who actually produce their own content.

Company doesn't deliver what it promises to clients and delivers snakeoil or distracts the customer with smoke and mirrors.

SEO Inc used spammy links now is charging clients to remove the Google penalty they put on them in the first place.

Typical employee has less than 6 months with company, and many with little to no industry knowledge or practical experience before joining.

Everyone has director in their name.... YAY!

If you quit, they will threaten to sue you.

CEO Garry Grant makes promises about big deals in the pipeline which never materialize. This causes everyone to not believe anything he says. I'm sure he does tell the truth sometimes, but more often than not, he's lying to your face.

Stop lying to employees. Fire your PPC Department, bring in people who know how to run an ethical business. Keep your commitments to your clients and vendors so we don't have to lie for you. Pay your water bill. Actually invest in the employees, send them for additional training and conferences instead of making hurdles for them to jump through which you never actually follow through with.

SEO Incs' Back

Current Employee - Brand Specialist
    Current Employee - Brand Specialist

I have been working at SEO Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Friendly Environment - A lot more Management/Employee outings and social events.
    -Open and Collaborative, there are talented and very knowledgeable people here with over 60+years combined SEO/Internet marketing experience.
    -Challenging and Great to learn. The work at times can be intense, but knowing you have other teammates to help is great. Again this point somewhat inherits the collaborative comment that people are available and ready to help when problems arise.
    Desire to be the Best- Though this may seem obvious, but everyone at SEO Inc desires to be the best Internet Marketing Agency experts around.

Cons

Miscommunication-Maybe one of the biggest problem here at SEO Inc, though it is very collaborative-it can be hectic, we do not lay on management for direction on every call-we are given the opportunity here to be our own industry leaders and leaders in our roles, so it may become overwhelming and sometimes so many people are working on such assortment of projects that some become unaware of who is doing what.

Let the Team know how much they really matter, though our CEO does his best at running the company and not boosting our egos 24/7-it still should have some attention it is still an essential part of being one of the most successful business' for you industry/space.

A good learning experience and a place to grow your knowledge.

Former Employee - Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at SEO Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good training guides and attention to detail by employees here.
    - Great attitude of workers in the office all there for the good of the company, for the most part.
    - Micromanagement is at a minimum.
    - Flexible schedule and understanding from management when time needs to be taken off.
    - Ping pong and foosball tables make for a nice relaxation method between meetings and long durations at your desk.

Cons

- Compensation could be better
    - Lack of a clearly defined roles for some employees allows for work to slip between the cracks.
    - Communication between departments could be better.
    - Could use a vending machine and some more little perks like that.

- Invest what you can in the employees. Small changes = big morale improvements.

Company is hated by their unfortunate clients

I worked at SEO Inc. full-time

Pros

If you want to eventually start your own scam - type business, this is the ideal learning environment. The first thing that struck me is the degree to which they scam their clients. Seo for client accounts is a matter of the blind leading the blind. Their time seems to be spent reassuring clients for the sole purpose of keeping the money flowing.

Cons

The is a corrupt, horrible company.

Close the door and start a lemonade stand. At least you stand a chance of delivering something for the money you take in.