SEO.com

Updated August 12, 2014
Updated August 12, 2014

3.5

Mike Mann

SEO.com has been a great place to work for with a few downsides.

Pros

It was a great starting point for me and taught me a lot. They have cool parties along with good health, dental and vision benefits.

Cons

The owner who is out of state isn't the best business man and has driven a lot of good people away. The pay is lower than other companies. There is some dysfunctionality.

A company with ton of potential that may never get it's mojo back

Former Employee - SEO Job
    Former Employee - SEO Job

Pros

The employees were great to work with, and the company had a laid back atmosphere. Early on, learned some new "skills", so that was cool. Working with some of the awesome clients was a blast.

Cons

Leadership is a joke at the top. Owner has absolutely no idea how to run a business. Values were good until owner got involved. Very slow moving for a small business. So cautions, always playing catch up to the rest of the industry. No innovation. Compensation was low in comparison to other similar companies. Everyone is replaceable, or your position can be outsourced, and the owner would tell you that to your face if he ever came to town. Oh, and being told by upper management once that we are a "professional spamming company" summed up pretty much everything.

It's sad to see a once great and growing business take such a turn for the worse. Feel bad for anyone who has to deal with this CEO. But for the remaining and new employees, I sure hope things turn around.

Lots of good, lots of scary

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

Pros

President and VP level leadership of the company strives to uphold positive work environment and culture of company. Significant effort spent to protect employees from disconnected CEO. President and VP management focused on making sure that employees feel valued through good compensation and benefits packages. Excellent day to day culture and camaraderie among employees. Transparent and frank communication from management to employees about the state of the company. Work life balance a core value of company with both policy and practice to back it up.

Cons

Since losing organic rankings to search penalty the company has been in a tailspin and seems unable to pull out. Loss of Incoming sales opportunities, coupled with disconnects between sales process promises and fulfillment responsibilities and fulfillment strategy, will eventually finish them off. Only a few employees have strong enough technical background to be able to effectively deliver results for customers. Instead of innovative future proofers and problem solvers, think reactive bail bucket operators.

Invest time and money to solve major site issues, develop good marketing plan, but mostly, identify a strategy and then follow through with it. Development of new strategy seemed to often trump implementation of previously settled strategy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Struggling company.

Pros

Good culture. Fun atmosphere with a lot of young, exciting co-workers.

Cons

Poor leadership. Not much experience at the top.

A great place for the right type of person. Sheer misery if you're not that person.

Pros

Prestige of working for a highly respected SEO firm, casual work environment, fun parties and social events, very short email addresses. Travel opportunities with certain clients.

Cons

A very misogynistic "boys club." Most employees are males aged 21-30, with a few token females and people with longer-term industry experience. Casual conversation topics would be considered an HR violation at other companies. More criticism than praise in supervisory feedback. Advancement opportunities are based more on nepotism than performance.

Be more willing to innovate. Consider higher compensation to retain good employees.

Good starting point

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Bluffdale, UT

Pros

Good place for new SEOs to learn the basic skills and, if they stay long enough, they can learn management skills too.

Cons

No upward movement into management and quality of work is lower than required at other places.

Hold technical training sessions for your employees and create some opportunities in upper management for employee growth. Send the team managers to management training in Salt Lake.

Great company, felt like family there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffdale, UT

Pros

Great work environment, good unity among employees
    Good opportunities for advancement
    Fun company activities
    Casual dress code
    Flexible work hours (depending on the position, of course)

Cons

The majority owner is a volatile guy
    Benefits were average, not bad but not great either

SEO.com is a stepping stone to bigger, better things

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffdale, UT

Pros

Young people, and young culture. Everything and everyone is pretty flexible. They are willing to hire anyone wanting to get into the SEO industry (good place to start). Most everyone is great to work with on a personal level.

Cons

The culture is extremely unprofessional (comes from the youth of company). Some people like it some people don't. Management makes questionable and hypocritical decisions, which stems from inexperience in management. Whatever position you have at SEO.com you are just a piece to a puzzle, and not an individual. They don't have clear intentions or desires to invest in their employees. Promotions are usually based on seniority and not merit, which takes away the incentive to work hard and perform well.

Start rewarding good performance and employees. Develop real incentives for people to work hard and stay with the company. Communicate better on major company decisions. Earn the trust of your employees by being consistently honest and fair.

SEO.com has given me all the tools I need to become a highly capable SEO.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bluffdale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffdale, UT

Pros

I'm grateful to SEO.com for providing me with a position within the company, as I don't have a background in internet marketing. There are so many benefits to working with an agency like SEO.com, including the ability to network and correspond with knowledgeable people within the industry.

Cons

Every workplace has it's downsides, and SEO.com is experiencing such rapid growth. To this extent, there are a lot of people working in a small office. But, I know it's a transition period for the company, and overall I'm excited to see where we're heading.

Amazing organization to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bluffdale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bluffdale, UT

Pros

SEO.com is an amazing place to work. I have been with the organization for just over fourteen months and have been given great opportunities to advance as the company has grown.

What I really like about the organization is that they try very hard to promote from within. They have hired from the outside from time to time to bring in talent to strengthen the team, which I am fine with, but they to provide lots of opportunity to employees who have come in and proven themselves.

I also like that they don't promote just because you have been with the company the longest. It's all about skill level, which they are excellent at providing training, how hard you work, and ultimately, how well you perform. Upper management does their best to keep the politics to a minimum.

I'm very confident in upper management's understanding of search marketing and also their ability to run and grow a business. There has been a lot of shake up over the last year with two presidents leaving and I am finally to a place that I feel like we have some stability and solid leadership in place to make things happen.

Lastly, it's just a fun place to work. We may be practically sitting on top of each other because we are growing so fast, but chaos can be fun sometimes. The people are great, they treat each other with respect, and it's all around just a good time. I would highly recommend this organization to anyone looking for employment or looking for an agency to do their search engine marketing.

Cons

From my point of view, there really aren't any cons except that we only have two toilets and one urinal for about seventy men working in the building. I hope we are able to move offices soon.

You are getting better at providing feedback to employees about their performance. I would just say that I hope you truly do quarterly reviews like you have told us and provide us feedback that will allow us to take action to improve.

Worked for SEO.com? Contribute to the Community!