SER Jobs for Progress Reviews

Updated March 21, 2015
13 reviews filtered by
3.6
Nory Angel

1. I have had varies experiences ranging for clerical to working with handicapped clients.

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at SER Jobs for Progress part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It offers you varies experiences.

Cons

All the companies will come up with an excuse why they refuse to hire you.

Just because you are an older person that don't mean that you can no do the work . An older person is more seasoned. They won't be taking off work because they can't find a babysitter or some other excuse.

2. Paid Job Training Program For Mature Workers Age 55 And Older

Former Employee - Participant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Participant in San Diego, CA

I worked at SER Jobs for Progress part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provides on-the-job-experience for older workers lost a world of youth. Allows mature workers to show how their knowledge and experience can benefit a company.

Cons

As with any company, there are some host sites that have employees who are threatened by the knowledge and experience of the mature workers.

A need for more sensitivity training.

3. This has been an awesome experience. I have been able to assist those most in need in our community.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at SER Jobs for Progress

Pros

I have enjoyed working with individuals and assist them set career goals and help them achieve their goals.

Cons

There is no negative part of my job or Ser. No place is perfect, but everyone at SER has compassion towards helping others.

Keep doing what you do. There is so many people in our community that need help, and you are on the front line of this effort.

5. shuttle bus driver I liked the idea of meeting different kind of people everyday.

Former Employee - Shuttle Bus Driver in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shuttle Bus Driver in Houston, TX

I worked at SER Jobs for Progress full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SER FOR JOBS, has a lot of programs, that benefit people, with barriers in there life ,a lot of training that helps you get back to work.

Cons

Some jobs are short term, contract work only.

would like to see if they have more training for women, not just housekeeping.

6. Great place to grow.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at SER Jobs for Progress full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to start career if you are fresh out of college, plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Very disorganized, leadership style could use improvement.

In order to develop leaders in the workplace, there should be a mentorship program offered. Also, the employees look to their management, supervisors and executive director for direction. The saying that there is an open door policy doesn't exist and the concerns of the employees are only heard but no action is taken in order to improve the morale of the workplace.

IT

Former Employee - IT Tech in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - IT Tech in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SER Jobs for Progress full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company helps people find jobs and offer other programs to better themselves. It makes you feel good knowing you're being part of that.

Cons

Too much micromanagement by the president.
    Little or no guidance.
    High turnover of CDS' at the centers.
    Staff gets transferred between center too often and sometimes with no advanced notice.
    Staff cannot take more than 3 days of vacation, even though you have plenty of vacation hours available.

The president and directors need to value the employees and recognize their work. They need to treat the employees with dignity and respect, not just a machine that will produce their numbers that they need.

8. I loved working there. Challenging work environment and fast paced at times.

I worked at SER Jobs for Progress

Pros

I was trianed very well in my last possition. I had a good work environment, they offered training oppertunities for policies and proceedures for the programs available. I worked for and with good people.

Cons

I would hear alot of people complain about employee retention and the fact that they would move people around very often.

Take time to notice and acknowledge the employees that give their all at their jobs. Try to keep the people who work their hardest and best for the good of the company.

9. As an Anglo male, I experienced extreme discrimination. Hispanic females are preferred.

Former Employee - Career Development Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Career Development Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SER Jobs for Progress full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the relationship I had with co-workers.

Cons

Management is clueless. They treat their subordinates as subhumans. You are not allowed to take more than three days off in a row. Management will cancel scheduled leave at the last moment. There is no communication from the workers to management. You are not allowed to ask a question during training sessions. Training consists of a person reading slides to the audience or the audience reading the text of a policy to each other. Very child like.

They are cheap, unconsiderate anb there are zero chances of professional advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at SER Jobs for Progress (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a semi amicable environment to work in, besides that I can't think of more pros.

Cons

There's a lot of cultural preference
    There are no chances of professional advancement
    Company's president is reactive because he wants to save a penny in everything
    They expect work but withhold information that could be beneficial to you
    They think that by taking a penny from you they are going to become rich
    They expect you to work at the same rate forever
    High turn-over
    All equipment is old and dated

The president of the company is not the all-mighty know-it-all and should learn to delegate not only in words but in actions because those of us who are pro-active prefer to do things to prevent catastrophes not wait to solve them. Autonomy is something that is needed on order to manage people and should consider reviewing their job descriptions so that the turn-over lowers. Money is a big factor and just because the majority of office personnel make good money and are ok (submissive) to not receiving pay raises it doesn't mean the other employees are ok with it as well.

Great co-workers, lousy management, office politics ridiculous

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at SER Jobs for Progress

Pros

Travel, pay, benefits, people working with and type of work being done is good.

Cons

Managements' secrecy, favoritism, unfair practices, gossip, terrible office politics.

Get new upper management who can support the hard working staff rather than rewarding their friends. Be present. Lead by example.

SER Jobs for Progress Photos

SER Jobs For Progress main office.

+ Add Photo