SERENA Software

www.serena.com

SERENA Software Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Greg Hughes

Pros
  • They appreciate a work life balance and family time is respected (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - Work from home some days (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No salary increases for several years (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless and does nothing to help overworked staff (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Release Engineer, intern

Release Engineer (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsOnly having labor/production experience to compare with Serena, this company has given my more than I expected from my first job out of college:

Great work atmosphere: Huge desk, Comfortable chairs, optional standing desks, A/C, free food/snacks

Fun people to work with, office events if your into that sort of thing include, Christmas parties, pot lucks and PS3 gaming.

Optional working from home, helps mitigate the commute issues.

Relaxed management style allows me the freedom to explore and develop new ideas.

We use what we develop so I can see changes to our product beyond what I work on.

ConsThe commute is crazy between 4 and 6. Lucky you can rework your schedule so you can miss those times or just work from home.

More bad business decisions...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally good people to work with except the executive leadership cannot be trusted.

Cons- Ever changing product direction.
    - Employees got screwed in recent company sale
    - Continued management turnover
    - More of the old guard coming back

Advice to Senior ManagementReward more than 2 people in the company

Possibly one of the worst places I've ever worked

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsIf your desperate for a job, take it. Pay and benefits are not bad.

ConsCompany cannot decide where its value is and what market to focus on. Middle management is tyrannical and cronyism abounds.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-focus on core strengths and stay the course. Rid yourselves of "boss hog" type middle managers and get Agile.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsThe company culture is laid back and friendly. The office provides many perks and fun events. They appreciate a work life balance and family time is respected. The work load can be a lot at times, but the positive environment helps get through it!

ConsThe company has downsized a lot in the past few years. Our direction has changed several times and we have many leadership changes. The new CEO is amazing, so hopefully this will change!

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is sometimes rough from management and this could improve.

The learning and growing opportunities are endless.

Support Engineer (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGreat people to work with and great products to support.

ConsEverything has been great so I cannot think of anything at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your people and keep trying to make Serena better.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsThe people is definitely one of the highlights of working at Serena. Starting at a technology company that has this level of retention was at first a concern as I figured there would be little room for career growth but this has not been the case. Opportunity presents itself and management is not adverse to promoting from within. Like most companies you have to do the job for a while before you get the promotion. Compensation is comparable to other similar companies in the Portland area and when I factor in the flexibility, great people and culture, and the ability have an impact beyond your "title" has resulted in me staying; even through the rough times of the past.

Serena is a progressive company when it comes to Technology and new ways of building software. Our most recent release of Dimensions CM primarily came about as the result of developer innovation.

Doug Troxel our founder reinvested into the company and Silver Lake being bought out by HGGC has stabilized much of the uncertainty about our future. In the past Serena has not been truthful about who it is. I used to tell my friends it was the biggest small company I had ever worked for, but I think we are more tactically honest today than in the past.

Looking forward I am very encouraged and feel that overall we are headed in the right direction.

ConsIn the past I have felt like Serena was the guinea pig for prospective CEO's to try out new strategies and we have accelerated the loss of revenue in retreating markets to chase the pipe dream of the latest thing to come along. Two years ago I was not as optimistic, but with Greg Hughes coming on board we have refocused the company and I feel like we now have the fortitude to stick with a direction and not run off chasing squirrels. Our good results over the past few quarters have in my opinion reflected this focus.

Like most companies politics sometimes gets in the way of what is best for the company as a whole. Empire building, resisting change, condemning the messenger for the message have all happened. It is in my opinion this has gotten better then it was 2 years ago, a lot better. Most departments I have worked in are open to new idea and more interested in improving then nitpicking about where the idea came from.

Primarily the issues above are from the past and there has been a concerted effort by both middle and upper management to correct these. I am highly encouraged by the progress over the last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the course of focusing on the vital few. Keep striving to improve our "agility"; given our size it is important that we be more responsive, provide higher levels of service, and be best in class vs trying to compete with feature/function. It is my belief that companies our size, especially in markets where there are some very large fish get ahead by being more nimble, being the best in specific areas, and focusing on customer success.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Destroying a Software Company

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsThere was a time when there were a lot of good reasons to work there; compensation package was good, maybe a bit above average for Portland, perks were good, health care benefit was amazing and the people were fantastic. Now on that list the only thing that remains are the amazing people and there are fewer and fewer of those everyday.

ConsI could say a lot here but there are two big negatives; the first is that upper management for most of the last six or seven years has had the attention span of a hyperactive kitten with ADD amped up on coffee. Management went from pillar to post, always looking for the next shiny thing that would be the One True Path back to profitability while ignoring what the technical/engineering side of house and customers were saying. Secondly, upper management decided that moral simply did not matter. People who gave nearly a decade to that company, did everything that was ever asked of them and more, was a visible rockstar were screwed over for a bonus because they left two weeks before it was paid out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you care about continuing to be a software company, then you have got to listen to your customers. They don't want shiny new toys that don't work, they want reliable tools that do! As a software company, you are only as good as your technical and engineering groups and that means you have to be willing to pay for talent and reward virtuosity. If you don't do that your best people will leave for greener pastures.

Great Executive Staff - middle management provides ZERO strategic value

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat products, fantastic people for the most part. Newer execs make Serena much more down to earth and focused on core competencies. I believe the strategy is working. Serena's products work and work well and they have many happy customers all over the world, unlike many of their competitors.

ConsZero marketing. Name recognition is still an issue. Managers in the wrong roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeems as if there is an "ignore the elephant" mentality when it comes to addressing management issues. The best sales reps are the best because they are not satisfied if they are not learning, being led and being mentored. My advice is to fix the sales middle management problem before you lose more sales talent.

Exciting times!

ProsVery supportive colleagues; great teamwork; opportunity to make a difference; flexible work schedule; customer and employee focussed; leading products and technology

ConsIn the past, it felt like people and strategy were constantly changing. The company really needs to maintain its focus and direction and stick with the current strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the momentum going!

Great team of hardworking people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsFlexible hours, benefits, bonus plan

ConsMiddle-Management is not solid in all areas

Worked for SERENA Software? Contribute to the Community!