SERENA Software

www.serena.com

SERENA Software Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Greg Hughes

Pros
  • They appreciate a work life balance and family time is respected (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - Work from home some days (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No salary increases for several years (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless and does nothing to help overworked staff (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The learning and growing opportunities are endless.

Support Engineer (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGreat people to work with and great products to support.

ConsEverything has been great so I cannot think of anything at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your people and keep trying to make Serena better.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsThe people is definitely one of the highlights of working at Serena. Starting at a technology company that has this level of retention was at first a concern as I figured there would be little room for career growth but this has not been the case. Opportunity presents itself and management is not adverse to promoting from within. Like most companies you have to do the job for a while before you get the promotion. Compensation is comparable to other similar companies in the Portland area and when I factor in the flexibility, great people and culture, and the ability have an impact beyond your "title" has resulted in me staying; even through the rough times of the past.

Serena is a progressive company when it comes to Technology and new ways of building software. Our most recent release of Dimensions CM primarily came about as the result of developer innovation.

Doug Troxel our founder reinvested into the company and Silver Lake being bought out by HGGC has stabilized much of the uncertainty about our future. In the past Serena has not been truthful about who it is. I used to tell my friends it was the biggest small company I had ever worked for, but I think we are more tactically honest today than in the past.

Looking forward I am very encouraged and feel that overall we are headed in the right direction.

ConsIn the past I have felt like Serena was the guinea pig for prospective CEO's to try out new strategies and we have accelerated the loss of revenue in retreating markets to chase the pipe dream of the latest thing to come along. Two years ago I was not as optimistic, but with Greg Hughes coming on board we have refocused the company and I feel like we now have the fortitude to stick with a direction and not run off chasing squirrels. Our good results over the past few quarters have in my opinion reflected this focus.

Like most companies politics sometimes gets in the way of what is best for the company as a whole. Empire building, resisting change, condemning the messenger for the message have all happened. It is in my opinion this has gotten better then it was 2 years ago, a lot better. Most departments I have worked in are open to new idea and more interested in improving then nitpicking about where the idea came from.

Primarily the issues above are from the past and there has been a concerted effort by both middle and upper management to correct these. I am highly encouraged by the progress over the last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the course of focusing on the vital few. Keep striving to improve our "agility"; given our size it is important that we be more responsive, provide higher levels of service, and be best in class vs trying to compete with feature/function. It is my belief that companies our size, especially in markets where there are some very large fish get ahead by being more nimble, being the best in specific areas, and focusing on customer success.

Exciting times!

ProsVery supportive colleagues; great teamwork; opportunity to make a difference; flexible work schedule; customer and employee focussed; leading products and technology

ConsIn the past, it felt like people and strategy were constantly changing. The company really needs to maintain its focus and direction and stick with the current strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the momentum going!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great team of hardworking people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsFlexible hours, benefits, bonus plan

ConsMiddle-Management is not solid in all areas

Good honest company

Dimensions Support Engineer (Former Employee) Saint Albans, England (UK)

ProsDecent salary, good location, challenging work, impressive clients, decent and highly professional colleagues & management. Not too many layers of management. Very low turnover of staff.

Consi have to type twenty words about 'cons' bad which is going to be hard. see advice to management.

Advice to Senior Managementexpand consulting business. You have a lot of highly skilled smart employees.

Great Place To Work!

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

Pros1) The people make this place 2) The flexible work schedules are awesome 3) The people

Cons1) Not a whole lot of room for advancement but great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be upfront and honest with your employees.

Our time is now!

Product Leader (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe industry focus on Release Management has never been greater. The legacy and leadership that Serena provides in this market place is unparalleled. Never, in Serena's 30+ years of legendary history, have the forces of the market and the capabilities of the technology been better matched.

Serena is uniquely placed to enfold and embrace client processes and existing technology. Competitors must rip-and-replace which is painful and risky.

Within the next 18 to 24 months Serena will be the must have, the first and only choice for every organization addressing Enterprise Release Management. And that is every organization.

ConsSerena is incredibly customer focused. The support team are recognized as best-in-class. The technical sales team are very talented and can make Serena solutions match customer needs in the field consistently.

However the focus on the employee is not always there but the company does recognize exceptional customer centric contributions consistently.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to exploit this incredible opportunity of time and technology and own this market.

Serena Kiev is one of the best product companies in Ukraine

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kiev (Ukraine)

Pros- good working conditions
    - good environment
    - not outsourcing/outstaffing

ConsI have nothing to say here

A company that has completely turned the corner

Sales Director (Current Employee)

ProsJoined the company six months ago, and it was a great career move for me. The new products in the ITSM and Release Management space are fantastic, and we just won the most coveted award in ITIL, so the company's doing something right. Comp for sales (especially at the rep level) is among the best in the industry. There is a good team dynamic, people get along well with each other, and the general feeling is that the company is headed for great things. With few exceptions, the customers I've met are very positive about Serena and the products. I can't speak for the back-office guys, but the mood in Sales is very positive.

ConsTypical garden-variety problems that any company has. The company has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past 12 months. I think that some of the negative comments posted here relate to the old days.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course, and continue the platform strategy.

Serena has changed to a company that cares about customers and employees.

ProsComp plan, independence, ability to change direction of the company, employees actually care about each other and want to see the company successful.

Cons401K and benefits not as good as bigger companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on current theme, direction and focus for growth and success. Do not go back to past years of everything is about EBITA. Keep investing in new technologies.

Worked for SERENA Software? Contribute to the Community!