SERENA Software Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
129 reviews filtered by
3.6
Greg Hughes

Pros
  • They appreciate a work life balance and family time is respected (in 11 reviews)

• work from home office or office (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No salary increases for several years (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless and does nothing to help overworked staff (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

xChange user conference: where Serena is always at it's best

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Just got back from xChange in Washington DC. Hundreds of customers and Serena folk gathered to talk about what new and exciting in the product lineup. Very different vibe this year. So much energy and excitement. Real engagement of the customers and intense focus of the Serena team. "Serena's Got Talent" end to end demo was fast, fun, interesting and really showed the Serena dev team's passion and commitment to their products. Breakout sessions were amazing, so in depth, so many great ideas and cool stuff that the customer are doing. Loved Greg's keynote speech - so cool to have a CEO who gets what we do and challenges us to excel for the customer.

Cons

Wish the conferences were not so far apart. I think the new Serena Central is going to help with this but it is early days and I'm only just getting round to using it.

Advice to Management

We've got to keep xChange going. It is an awesome event for technical people inside the company and for the customers. We have to find a way to get more Serena folk there next time.

2. Good place to work, great technology and career prospects

Current Employee - Development Lead
    Current Employee - Development Lead

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great small company feel, friendly and approachable management structure.
    The opportunity to make a real difference.
    Continued investment in the core product areas, working with modern technologies.
    If you work hard the prospects for career and progression are excellent, but you need to work for it.

Cons

Reduction in staffing over the last few years in certain areas. Most of the negative reviews seem to be from disgruntled ex-employees.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the products

3. Great company with fantastic people

Current Employee - R&D in Kiev (Ukraine)
    Current Employee - R&D in Kiev (Ukraine)

I have been working at SERENA Software

Pros

1) Great people to work with.
    The hiring is very selective and requirements for joiners are usually rather high. So, good people are joining good company and staying with it long. I started when Kyiv office was less than 10 people in 2006 and now we are about 100.

2) Product nature of the company.
    It is not an outsource as the majority of R&D in Ukraine. The company really cares about its employees and Kyiv people are treated equally with all other folks working at Serena all around the world (scrum teams are often mixing folks from different offices).
    Serena develops, sells and supports its own products, those are on the marked for a long time and have big amount of enterprise customers. It is not a maintenance, since products are enhanced to correspond to the market and customer needs (there is a persistent investment in core products).
    There is no such thing as "sitting on the bench" (like in many outsources), backlogs are huge and it looks like there will be enough work even for our children ;)

3) While developing massive products, Serena tries to follow up-to-date Development processes. AFAIK Scrum is implemented on all products. It is not an ideal Scrum (say, products are not released after each iteration and release cycle is usually not less than 3 month). Peer Review is mandatory before code can reach the repository. The whole release process is very well defined and followed, both Development and Testing parts.

4) Product specialty clear to any R&D person
    Serena products are mainly about Application Lifecycle Management area: Source control (configuration management), Bug Tracking, Agile Planning, DevOps. These applications and features are always very clear to any developer or test engineer, so you do not spend time learning banking, medicine or advertising software stuff. One other big plus that Serena is using its own products in day to day R&D activities (say, for version control, bug tracking, etc.), so we are own beta-testers (aka "drinking our own champagne").

5) As I said - products are mainly huge, so there is a lot to learn from and also a big area to apply your best skills. The conversation with management is democratic, so it is relatively easy to bring new technologies and frameworks to products if you argument that well. Good initiatives are always welcome. Many cool already productized features were started during local 3-days Hackathons.

6) Office is in the convenient place (Kyiv center), the underground is at 10 minutes walk and car parking is paid by the company (it is quite rare to have the office in center and have parking available).
    Working hours are very flexible, some people start at 9 and some at 11. It is not a problem to take a day or half of a day off.

Cons

Management expectations are quite high. So be prepared to work hard, but be recognized high as well (i.e. compensation will be rather high). I do not mean working overtimes, but fully concentrating on the work during working hours (forget about surfing news in internet ;) ).

The company is money-conscious (counting well money it can spend). Since the company lives on its earned money, depending on the quarter selling success, it may be not easy to allocate budget for new fancy hardware or budgeting some events.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in R&D and strengthening your core products. Stick to one well developed strategy for longer time.

Enjoy the people and the team I get to work with.

Current Employee - Accounting in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Accounting in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing and the Jessica's are always willing to step in and help or listen. I truly enjoy the team I work with and I couldn't ask for a better work environment. The office is close to my home and I get to learn new stuff all the time.

Cons

Department is not huge so very little room for growth but I love my job.

Advice to Management

Keep giving back to your employees and keep investing in our products.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at SERENA Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I left Serena for another opportunity and after two weeks into my new job I realized it was the wrong move. Serena is way better as they actually do try to listen to their employees even if they cannot deliver everything. They have good products and managers that actually care about their employees and the people are awesome.

Cons

Company has downsized so much that many of their long-term employees have taken on extra work and responsibilities with little recognition. Executives do not spend much 1:1 time with day-to-day employees.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people because if they are happy then your company will continue to move in the right direction.

10 years with Serena, love the people and company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Serena is full of amazing people who care about the company. The management team is solid and seem to have a good plan in place for continued growth. The health, 401k, and time-off benefits are great. Additionally, the company really cares about it's the work-life balance.

Cons

It's hard for me as a happy employee to pick any cons. I would only say that we need more seasoned sales reps. However, this is a result of some tough times the company went through during the recession where the good reps left to chase the dollar at other firms.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're currently doing! Its working!

8. Inside Sales Rep

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with great people, make money, and no travel.

Cons

No clear strategy in place.

Advice to Management

Communication is key and I would like to see more on company strategy and understand what is the future of Serena. Keep investing in your people as they are what make this place a great place to work.

9. Another great Quarter!

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are what make Serena - there is a definite buzz around the place now and much more focus than 18 months ago

Cons

Would like to see more growth

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! It is also good to see the Serena Gives Back program getting more air time internally

10. 10+ Years with the company, good people, good environment and a modern approach to working

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good team to work with & good culture, nice UK location & office, 'get it done approach' without too much politics, salary is competitive. Appreciation of the work/life balance. The installed base is still strong and many Company's have relied on Serena's software for the last decade+. Lots of potential to expand by focusing on a smaller group of core products.

Cons

Company is now stable but not growing, too may strategy changes and trying to dabble in different markets (without a lot of success). The product portfolio was too broad (now fixed)

Advice to Management

Define the strategy and stick to it.

11. Good people, great products, back to it's prime!

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent CEO that has driven a return to Serena's roots with a corresponding upturn in results and a return to a period of sustained growth. A great bunch of people to work with, who are committed to the companies success. Flexible and demanding work schedules, with opportunities for career development and personal growth.

Cons

Continual change in company strategy has led to confusion both inside and outside Serena, although renewed focus and stability in strategy has led to a return to growth.

Advice to Management

Keep faith with the strategy and invest in marketing.