SERENA Software Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.1

Greg Hughes

Pros
  • They appreciate a work life balance and family time is respected (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - Work from home some days (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No salary increases for several years (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless and does nothing to help overworked staff (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that is focused on successful customers

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent post sales technical support organization helps reduce barriers to sales. The entire employee base is passionate about success and making customers successful. The technology works well, with many large organizations benefiting from it. People in the company are very friendly and helpful, you can approach any one at any level for help.

Cons

In the past the company has changed direction too frequently before strategies have had the time realize success. Little respect for timezones when scheduling meetings with our colleagues outside of the US.

Don't change direction and invest more in corporate marketing.

Great Company....unfortunately,got affected by RIF

Former Employee - Regional Sales Administrative Coordinator  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Administrative Coordinator in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at SERENA Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits and Salary, Co-workers, Company Values, Community Involvement was one of the best I had the pleasure to be a part of.

Cons

I only have one bad experience during my short time here. One of the Managers wanted me to 'coddle' one of the sales guys. I didn't see that as part of my job. So we had to sit down and discuss how things should have been handled better. Considering the Manager ending up leaving before I did, I still think I had the better position.

Great place to work if you don't have career goals

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best work/life balance. There is an appreciation for personal time and people are recognized by good work instead of how many hours you work. Management listens and they are considerate of new ideas and employee concerns.

Longevity with the company is good and bad. Good because there's passion and experience but bad because there's no career advancement.

The new CEO is great and a fresh change after several falters. The original founder still committed to success of the company long after he retired and has reinvested. Human Resources actively tries to get employees recognized at the top levels of the company. Management is committed to better cross team work.

Cons

New jobs are filled from the outside or from cronies inside; there is no chance to move if you don't have the golden key. There is no recognition for good management unless you report direct to Greg Hughes. Years of down sizing resulted in turf wars and self preservation so the middle layer is ignored or stifled. If you have a great team, you are not needed.

Lots of egos means decisions are made for personal gain instead of business gain.

Appreciate your middle tier more. Recognize that great managers can appear invisible becasue they have done a good job of teaching their staff. It doesn't mean they aren't working hard or have become lazy. With no where to grow the only choice is to leave before you get laid off.

Stay the course with focus on core and make smaller but smart investment in new technologies - don't throw everything you have at it; save some for the core that has been (and still is) keeping the lights on all these years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are a young tech worker, you'd run - AWAY!

Former Employee - Business  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SERENA Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everybody works from home (if you like that sort of thing)

Cons

NO employees under 30!!!! Even if they start, they quit in less than a year.
    Full of old timers (10-30 years) who have no context of the industry today and often falter at every step
    Still working on grandpa's technology stack - mainframe, dimensions, etc.! (their DevOps spokesperson is a Mainframe guy!)
    Vocal, opinionated and often WRONG pre-sales that makes sales much harder to succeed
    Poor salaries and no benefits to speak of
    Highly political environment as old timers try to protect their turf (and their jobs)

Keep your current workforce extremely happy - if they quit, you won't be able to hire anybody.
    Move to an area where Serena doesn't have to compete much for talent - Kentucky, Louisiana, Utah, Ohio etc.
    Get rid of Mainframe and Dimensions - use the money to build new portfolio

There's a reason why they are always hiring....

Former Employee - Sales  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at SERENA Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sales fundamentals. Company has a long history, here in the 'Silicon Forest' [Intersolv, etc.]. Products could see new life, with growth of software development sectors.

Cons

Known for 'churn and burn', with inside sales team. During initial interview, the manager with very little 'real sales' experience, focused on "what was the last sales book I read" and not the numbers I had a track record of achieving. Too many chiefs.

Pick 1 direction and go in it.

no strategy in place and revenue is declining

I have been working at SERENA Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good salary
    work from home office or office
    no micro management

Cons

Strategy change every year and the messaging with each change has been confusing to employees and more importantly to customers and the industry. At the moment no strategy.
    Too many VPs with personal agendas and with little interest for the company or the customers needs.
    The VPs know how to destroy a Software Company. Revenue is declining for years. Even the maintenance stream is declining. If the margin is not high enough they will reduce employees.

work on a clear strategy

More bad business decisions...

I worked at SERENA Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally good people to work with except the executive leadership cannot be trusted.

Cons

- Ever changing product direction.
    - Employees got screwed in recent company sale
    - Continued management turnover
    - More of the old guard coming back

Reward more than 2 people in the company

Quit if you feel tired

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Kiev (Ukraine)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Kiev (Ukraine)

I have been working at SERENA Software as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working hours and a lot of technologies that you can use at least if you are working on good serena's project. And even in that case the half of technologies will be outdated. On the other hand this is a well-paid and stable job.

Cons

Looks like you can join to another project only if you quit before applying to another position. Another problem is a teams size. Teams look too big and team members are working on completely separated sub-projects.

Release Engineer, intern

Current Employee - Release Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Release Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at SERENA Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Only having labor/production experience to compare with Serena, this company has given my more than I expected from my first job out of college:

Great work atmosphere: Huge desk, Comfortable chairs, optional standing desks, A/C, free food/snacks

Fun people to work with, office events if your into that sort of thing include, Christmas parties, pot lucks and PS3 gaming.

Optional working from home, helps mitigate the commute issues.

Relaxed management style allows me the freedom to explore and develop new ideas.

We use what we develop so I can see changes to our product beyond what I work on.

Cons

The commute is crazy between 4 and 6. Lucky you can rework your schedule so you can miss those times or just work from home.

Possibly one of the worst places I've ever worked

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at SERENA Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If your desperate for a job, take it. Pay and benefits are not bad.

Cons

Company cannot decide where its value is and what market to focus on. Middle management is tyrannical and cronyism abounds.

Re-focus on core strengths and stay the course. Rid yourselves of "boss hog" type middle managers and get Agile.

Worked for SERENA Software? Contribute to the Community!