SGK

SGK Reviews

Updated May 12, 2014

SGK CEO David A. Schawk

David A. Schawk

Pros:
  • "The job is so enjoyable and the people are great but management fails to recognize it"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Benefits package was very generous and reasonably priced"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The management team consists of friends of and assistants to senior management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Don't even get cost of living increase"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood people. Job was fun. Worked with great talent.

ConsCompensation. "Merit" increases do not match what you hear in reviews. Management has said that "you have hit your cap for salary, do not expect any more increases unless you change positions." Why risk loosing an employee who is good at their job and enjoys their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMatch the merit increase to the review. There is no incentive to work for this company. They are going to start to loose clients to their biggest competitor due to the loss of good talent if they continue this way. Don't throw 60 years of business in our face thanking employees for getting you there. Your actions speak louder than words. Show your appreciation in ways that count if you want another 60 years.

They will suck the life out of you, then let you go!!

Des Plaines, IL

ProsCo-workers some of the best people around.

ConsAll levels of management at this location have no people skills. Work being sent overseas, customers like SC Johnson don't know this. Layoffs all the time, they don't bother to reassign you or offer a different job, just slash workforce so management can get a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementRunning this company into the ground, as soon as Clarence W. Schawk dies, David is selling, if he doesn't go out of business first.

From LA to the 80's and back

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsPlenty of rooftop parking, flexible hours, plenty of water coolers, left alone to get work done, teamwork driven at times, the employees are friendly, which is weird cause most places treat freelancers like they are lepers. The location is questionable, but I like that its on this side of the 5 freeway.
    They use a payment system that they immediately set you up with and they pay you quickly, within a week.
    I come in, get my 8 hours, and get to go home. I love it.

ConsLighting by florescence, 80's drab layout. Weird small little pockets of offices and quite possibly a death trap if you don't know how to get out quickly. No one ever told me there was a kitchen till I was there for a month.

You're kind of brought in, left at your desk with work, then your on your own...how to get out, how to set up files, where to put them, how to get on the server, etc etc. I just recently figured out which printers are where.

There nearest place to eat is 5 min away by car, nothing good is walking distance.

There are like 5 different ways you have to log in your hours. kind of redundant.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job letting us do our work and explaining the job well. I never have to ask questions and even when its crazy and chaotic, they are calm and collected.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bait and Switch?

Production Artist (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsThis company is such a scam, that I can not find a single positive thing to say about them.

ConsThis company is so cheap! They lure you in at a day rate that is very reasonable and then slash the pay once convert to full-time. They offer health insurance that is outrageously expensive and doesn't actually cover anything. Performance reviews that don't result in anything more than paperwork. They do not offer raises,! No cost of living increases! No advancement! This place obviously doesn't care about it's employees and it is obvious on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your employees a competitive wage, health insurance that isn't a scam, cost of living increases, performance based raises and provide your employees with an intranet that works.

Schawk

San Francisco, CA

Proscutting edge equipment. Adapts to clients needs

Conssubjected to seasonal layoffs. The Union.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the union

Worst prepress environment I ever have been in

Des Plaines, IL

ProsGood running equipment, free coffee, and popcorn on Thursday

ConsLayoffs every 6 months even when there is work. Skeleton crew and mandatory overtime. No raises, no promotions and it's a horrible toxic environment. Work is being outsourced overseas. Management does not care about your career, just get the work done faster. If your Salary watch out, get ready for 60 hour weeks with no compensation for the extra hours .

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to treating employees as humans, give raises.

Co-workers good, company not so good

Accountant (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Co-workers were cooperative and helpful
    - End product was cool

Cons- No growth opportunities/career progression
    - Business not doing too well

Advice to Senior Management- Develop better sales strategy to grow business (including setting up a proper sales organization)
    - Managers need to be held accountable for their actions and performance scorecard needs to include non-financial performance measures

Graphic Artist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI learned a lot in this company, I worked with them for 6 years.

ConsDon't expect a review and a pay raise. If you do get a review you can keep dreaming to get a pay raise. Don't even get cost of living increase. There are some shady tactics going on in the background. This is one particular group, all the other groups seemed to be happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through and don't make false promises.

amazing experience!

Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosfriendly co workers
    great company culture
    innovative methods
    fun to work at

Consno cons about schawk, they are great

Catch 22 - Great Job - Employer doesn't Care

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFun job, great talent. Good Team work. That's what makes it a catch 22. The job is so enjoyable and the people are great but management fails to recognize it.

ConsManagement does not appreciate what they have. No pay increases, no bonus, no incentive to stay. They tell you there are yearly salary reviews, but when the time comes, there is always an excuse for it not to happen. In addition, there is no road for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrg chart - don't put levels on, it is very discouraging to see someone hired after you, that is not as strong to be hired at a higher level. Do what you say you are going to do. Offer raises both for merit and for inflation. Consider performance bonuses and not just for senior leadership. Give your employees a reason to stay and not jump to your competitors. Offer a different route of resume submission for job openings instead of having to go through submitting with the masses.

Worked for SGK? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SGK reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SGK CEO David A. Schawk. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by SGK employees.