SGK

SGK Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

SGK CEO David A. Schawk

David A. Schawk

Pros
  • The job is so enjoyable and the people are great but management fails to recognize it(in 7 reviews)

• Benefits package was very generous and reasonably priced(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The management team consists of friends of and assistants to senior management(in 5 reviews)

• Don't even get cost of living increase(in 3 reviews)

Catch 22 - Great Job - Employer doesn't Care

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFun job, great talent. Good Team work. That's what makes it a catch 22. The job is so enjoyable and the people are great but management fails to recognize it.

ConsManagement does not appreciate what they have. No pay increases, no bonus, no incentive to stay. They tell you there are yearly salary reviews, but when the time comes, there is always an excuse for it not to happen. In addition, there is no road for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrg chart - don't put levels on, it is very discouraging to see someone hired after you, that is not as strong to be hired at a higher level. Do what you say you are going to do. Offer raises both for merit and for inflation. Consider performance bonuses and not just for senior leadership. Give your employees a reason to stay and not jump to your competitors. Offer a different route of resume submission for job openings instead of having to go through submitting with the masses.

Low pay and lower advancement opportunities

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood place to get some skills and looks good on the resume

Consvery low pay, lots of outsourcing and low prospects for true advancement. The only way to get a raise is to threaten to quit.

Advice to Senior Managementmake people feel appreciated. Money talks...

Frustrating place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Des Plaines, IL

ProsGood compensation and decent benefits.
    Outstanding global client base .
    Very talented workforce that produces great work for the clients.
    A few strong senior managers in Operations.

ConsExecutive management has a lot of poor managers who wouldn't survive in most other organizations.
    Many jobs are being outsourced to cut costs.
    Performance reviews are never done in some departments.
    No salary increases in years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've hired good people but continue to make all the decisions yourselves and ignore input from your people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) Des Plaines, IL

ProsWelcoming staff, made me feel comfortable and welcome the first day. Management at my location is very involved and engaged in the daily operations and business processes. There is a very well-defined set of business processes in place that support the entire operation. Employees follow the process, and are encouraged to give feedback to help improve the process.

ConsThe physical facility could use some work.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovements to the physical space would make many employees happy. They comment about how much they miss their old facility.

Solid Employer with which to cut your catalog production teeth

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompany has locations worldwide, most with similar structures. Chicago locations have amazing photography and print production operations. This company offers a great start for any interested in the catalog and print marketing arenas.

ConsPoor executive involvement and hubris contribute to serious client and staff missteps. Very little room for advancement at locations with which I am familiar. Creative and Account staff feel restricted while Production staff is pressed hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees must be coached and developed—and given opportunities to grow and advance. Executives should listen to and recognize client needs; support staff who can proactively steward accounts.

Managerial Nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsOpportunity to fine tune skills within various areas of the production art and prepress portions of the print world. Some exceptional talents at the top tier of the industry within their fields within the non-management work force ranks.

ConsDo not ever expect performance review or them to ever give you a raise based off of merit. The management team consists of friends of and assistants to senior management. Management promoted to position with very few qualifications and a lack of true understanding of the positions they manage. The work environment is down right toxic at times and shows no signs of turning around anytime soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire those you know are right and qualified for the jobs and not those who follow you around the most. Look into your incredible pool of talent available and start changes before it is too late.

POOR MANAGEMENT/LEADERSHIP OVERALL

Production Support (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsConveniently located in the heart of downtown Chicago.

ConsPoor management overall with the exception of a few talented individuals - due to lack of experience. Presenting skills are horrible during meetings and not effective at all. Some of the managers do not have people skills and have problems keeping confidential information to themselves. Managers have been promoted to their positions because of who they knew not based on merit or experience. Does not have an ad agency feeling at all compared to other agencies in the Chicago area.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire new managers - especially on the Kmart team.

Decent pay, good benefits, great office location.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe health benefits are probably the greatest reason to work here. Potential employees are informed of feast or famine work cycles upfront, and management is usually easy about letting you take time off provided you have vacation/personal days available. The office location is GREAT... at Dearborn and Madison, so you are near many restaurants and Millennium Park!

ConsThe main office in Des Plaines keeps laying off people and sending the jobs overseas. No one is safe... even Group Creative Directors have been sacked. Pay scale depends completely on your willingness and ability to negotiate. Variance of upto $20,000 exists between employees of the same position!

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP SENDING JOBS OVERSEAS.

Freelancers expected to work unlimited overtime.

Freelance Production Artist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCasual environment, friendly co-workers, professional office space. High profile clients.

ConsManagers. Company morale. Overtime hours. Turnover. Opportunities for fulltime employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop answering questions with "That's not my job". Get off your "high-horse" and accept some responsibility.

Good place to work, but can feel isolated at times

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEveryone, no matter from what department, was very nice and willing to help. I never had a problem with the people I worked with and after I left I had connections from all the departments.

ConsAlthough everyone was nice, there was never any time to get to really get to know the people you were working with.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet aside company days where employees can just hang out and get to know each other. It will definitely boost the morale in the office.

Worked for SGK? Contribute to the Community!