SGK

SGK Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

SGK CEO David A. Schawk

David A. Schawk

Pros
  • The job is so enjoyable and the people are great but management fails to recognize it(in 7 reviews)

• Benefits package was very generous and reasonably priced(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The management team consists of friends of and assistants to senior management(in 5 reviews)

• Don't even get cost of living increase(in 3 reviews)

Solid company that is always trying to be on the cutting edge of their industry.

Client Coordinator (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThey recruit great people. They have a very easy going yet productive company culture. SME will help with any questions you have and are very approachable. Work-life balance is great here.

ConsReducing unscheduled time off is a corporate priority, so that can be a demerit if it happens too much. They aren't that good at career development/planning, you have to figure a lot out on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter career planning/development to retain in-house talent.

Ever Changing Landscape

Senior Client Coordinator (Current Employee) Des Plaines, IL

ProsChallenging work opportunity, great growth in career, no ceiling!

ConsPay does not change by much as you grow internally, but opportunity for experience is there.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire talented people and let them do their job, try to avoid micromanaging too much.

Should have went with Gut Instinct years ago!

Prepress Technician (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPay is not too bad. Great Co-Workers who are all in the same boat and know it.

ConsIf you work at SGK, YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE FOR A REASON. No advancement possibilities unless you suck at your job (sometimes literally). The worse you are at your job, the better the chance of promotion (See Wiki - Peter Principle). If you are really good, then set your things down because that is what you will be doing until your job goes to China, India, Malaysia or destinations unknown. I was there way too long. I should have gone with my gut instinct to start my own business years ago but these guys were begging me to come work for them. I stomached the ineptitude for years. The management around me at my location seemed to party as though they were still in college. The original Mr. Clarence Schawk seemed like a nice guy but the managerial crowd that followed apparently hung out and got drunk together in high school (70's-90's) and gave each other jobs. The General Manager of my branch had no ethics, morals, etc., which incidentally ran hand in hand with corporate mentality. Apparently and unbeknownst to me, Corporate must require these traits to individuals that they want for mid-management up to senior management jobs. My ethics, morals, conduct, etc., were well above that line. Matter of fact, at this very moment you can google the name of my former GM followed by the word "Arrest" and come up with a partial rap history and actually a complementing mugshot (if only he looked as well day to day). His Attorney must be on retainer with corporate Schawk! (SGK).
    My job eventually went to China. I knew it was coming but like the proverbial "Ostrich" sticking his head in the ground, I just ignored. Actually once it happened, I didn't look back. I have started my own business and hope to do around $500k in sales this first year. Next year looks even better. I was becoming stagnant working in that environment and I knew that leaving would eventually be the best thing that ever happened to me, employment wise. My new company employs 5 people now and we all work together. This coming Christmas, I will do the unthinkable and invite them to a Christmas party. If Schawk every had Christmas parties, the lowly workers would be asked to leave, even if they haven't gotten their eight hours yet. That was the case of the location where I worked. You would know that a party was coming because the day of, everyone that was someone would be in a nice suit or dress, with heels and whatnot walking around like a bunch of tarts. That's when you knew that the liquor would be flowing like milk & honey in a few hours.
    Nuff said for now. Do what you want to do if you are looking for a job but this is a stepping stone location. They don't care about you and are only hiring you because they couldn't send the job overseas....yet!

Advice to Senior ManagementI gave all my advice to management while I was there. Do you think they are going to listen to me now that I'm gone?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Behind the Times

ProsSmall company feeling and the ability to do many things due to lack of staff

ConsVery hard to move up the ranks here and takes an act of Congress to get a raise. Leadership should be stronger and have more vision to push this company where it needs to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush us into the digital age or this company will become extinct.

Very positive up to 2008, then only moderately positive.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people that I work with are great. Great energy, enthusiasm and knowledge.

ConsGeographically diverse so there is some travel in some of the roles. Some uncertainly as to the future with the pending merger with MATW

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to employees in the field. The best ideas come from there.

Company in transition

Technical (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSGK thought about getting into the services side of the industry way before competition

ConsIndustry is changing very fast, and due to its size, Schawk is not changing fast enough with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay nimble, listen to employees, listen to key customers.

Lots of talk, not much action

ProsFair pay, good benefits, some nice people

ConsLeadership challenges. Cultural issues. Very political.

Public Company in Design Industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsCo-workers and office environment were positive.

ConsNot given opportunity to assume more responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to improve processes. Reward innovation.

Enjoy working at Schawk

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOpportunity for promotion has been there if you put for the effort and step up to take on added responsibility

ConsCompensation has not been consistent with market always and the company review process has not always been consistent across the board

Lots of moving parts

ProsThe company is a large global entity with a lot of opportunity if you are willing to relocate. There are a lot of facilities around the world.

If you are versatile you will never get bored.

There are quite a few different sections to Schawk - Agency related (Anthem!), Separations, Color Retouch, Photography, Prototyping and 3D Rendering, as well as SDS which is more involved with IT and approval software.

ConsPay increases are few and far between, you have to change positions or fight for some advancement before you see even a cost of living adjustment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a disconnect of goals between financial drive and process drive. We sometimes get caught up in fiscal discussions and we don't improve our process or in order to improve our finances we add 17 steps to our process.

Worked for SGK? Contribute to the Community!