SGK

Updated December 15, 2014
2.7

SGK CEO David A. Schawk
David A. Schawk

Pros
  • The job is so enjoyable and the people are great but management fails to recognize it (in 7 reviews)

• Benefits package was very generous and reasonably priced (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • very low pay, lots of outsourcing and low prospects for true advancement (in 5 reviews)

• The management team consists of friends of and assistants to senior management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

All up to you

Current Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management in New York, NY

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, with wonderful benefits, awesome people and an entrepreneurial spirit. One can succeed by taking initiative to grow the business and along with it your self. A very large small company spread across the globe. It's cool to be working with people in 5 different time zones at the same time.

Cons

Promotions are rare, raises even more so. Not in the DNA is a yearly increase. Unfortunately the approach is "well we gave you raise 3 years ago, so sorry about this year". The whole company is very afraid to spend any money at all. If you are accustomed to being invested in - forget it, if money is involved.

Spend money on employees and you will see a return. Recognize the cultural differences between SGK and MATW, they seem farther behind than we are in culture and approach to business.

run far away

I have been working at SGK

Pros

The free Coffee is ok and they are next to the blue line

Cons

There have been massive layoffs about twice every year for the last 5+ years. The company seldom to never gives raises. Most new clients of which they are few and far between don't seem to stay long which begs the question what is wrong with your account people and practices for winning new businesses. I also couldn't help but feel like management was always blowing smoke up my arse.

Treat your people with respect. Learn to actually manage those you manage and make an effort to leave your office and manage.

Comme si Comme ca

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at SGK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people. Great benefits & salary. Great commute. Good communication. Good team managers. Happy Hours that company organize at the end of month.

Cons

Poor upper level manager. Upper level managers don't have a clue what's going on under their operations. However, they affect the decisions without knowing anything. There are some people in the office like a virus that you have to love them. Otherwise, you cannot survive in the office.
    Poor management
    Company is not young. There are a lot of old fashioned people.
    People don't try to be socialize there. I don't know why you would try hard to convince people to have a lunch together.

Well go upstairs and look what people do for the company. Work with more young people. Form a more diverse culture in the office.

Employees are rarely appreciated

Current Employee - Production Artist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility regarding hours; 2 blocks away from Millennium Park; free popcorn every Tuesday; many different projects in-house; cheap vending machines

Cons

You are seen as your job title only, regardless of other skills and abilities; their only concern is billing the client more, not so much employee welfare; no sense of camaraderie or team; extremely low pay

See your employees as more than their title. Utilize their talents.

Solid company that is always trying to be on the cutting edge of their industry.

Current Employee - Client Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Client Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They recruit great people. They have a very easy going yet productive company culture. SME will help with any questions you have and are very approachable. Work-life balance is great here.

Cons

Reducing unscheduled time off is a corporate priority, so that can be a demerit if it happens too much. They aren't that good at career development/planning, you have to figure a lot out on your own.

Better career planning/development to retain in-house talent.

Ever Changing Landscape

Current Employee - Senior Client Coordinator in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Client Coordinator in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work opportunity, great growth in career, no ceiling!

Cons

Pay does not change by much as you grow internally, but opportunity for experience is there.

Hire talented people and let them do their job, try to avoid micromanaging too much.

Should have went with Gut Instinct years ago!

Former Employee - Prepress Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Prepress Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SGK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is not too bad. Great Co-Workers who are all in the same boat and know it.

Cons

If you work at SGK, YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE FOR A REASON. No advancement possibilities unless you suck at your job (sometimes literally). The worse you are at your job, the better the chance of promotion (See Wiki - Peter Principle). If you are really good, then set your things down because that is what you will be doing until your job goes to China, India, Malaysia or destinations unknown. I was there way too long. I should have gone with my gut instinct to start my own business years ago but these guys were begging me to come work for them. I stomached the ineptitude for years. The management around me at my location seemed to party as though they were still in college. The original Mr. Clarence Schawk seemed like a nice guy but the managerial crowd that followed apparently hung out and got drunk together in high school (70's-90's) and gave each other jobs. The General Manager of my branch had no ethics, morals, etc., which incidentally ran hand in hand with corporate mentality. Apparently and unbeknownst to me, Corporate must require these traits to individuals that they want for mid-management up to senior management jobs. My ethics, morals, conduct, etc., were well above that line. Matter of fact, at this very moment you can google the name of my former GM followed by the word "Arrest" and come up with a partial rap history and actually a complementing mugshot (if only he looked as well day to day). His Attorney must be on retainer with corporate Schawk! (SGK).
    My job eventually went to China. I knew it was coming but like the proverbial "Ostrich" sticking his head in the ground, I just ignored. Actually once it happened, I didn't look back. I have started my own business and hope to do around $500k in sales this first year. Next year looks even better. I was becoming stagnant working in that environment and I knew that leaving would eventually be the best thing that ever happened to me, employment wise. My new company employs 5 people now and we all work together. This coming Christmas, I will do the unthinkable and invite them to a Christmas party. If Schawk every had Christmas parties, the lowly workers would be asked to leave, even if they haven't gotten their eight hours yet. That was the case of the location where I worked. You would know that a party was coming because the day of, everyone that was someone would be in a nice suit or dress, with heels and whatnot walking around like a bunch of tarts. That's when you knew that the liquor would be flowing like milk & honey in a few hours.
    Nuff said for now. Do what you want to do if you are looking for a job but this is a stepping stone location. They don't care about you and are only hiring you because they couldn't send the job overseas....yet!

I gave all my advice to management while I was there. Do you think they are going to listen to me now that I'm gone?

Behind the Times

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small company feeling and the ability to do many things due to lack of staff

Cons

Very hard to move up the ranks here and takes an act of Congress to get a raise. Leadership should be stronger and have more vision to push this company where it needs to go.

Push us into the digital age or this company will become extinct.

Very positive up to 2008, then only moderately positive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people that I work with are great. Great energy, enthusiasm and knowledge.

Cons

Geographically diverse so there is some travel in some of the roles. Some uncertainly as to the future with the pending merger with MATW

Keep listening to employees in the field. The best ideas come from there.

Company in transition

Current Employee - Technical in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

SGK thought about getting into the services side of the industry way before competition

Cons

Industry is changing very fast, and due to its size, Schawk is not changing fast enough with it.

Stay nimble, listen to employees, listen to key customers.

SGK Photos