SGK

Updated December 15, 2014
2.7

SGK CEO David A. Schawk
David A. Schawk

Pros
  • The job is so enjoyable and the people are great but management fails to recognize it (in 7 reviews)

• Benefits package was very generous and reasonably priced (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • very low pay, lots of outsourcing and low prospects for true advancement (in 5 reviews)

• The management team consists of friends of and assistants to senior management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Company to work for

Former Employee - Design Associate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Design Associate in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at SGK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people were amazing.

Cons

Management is horrible at this company, if you're not doing questionable things to get promoted, you will not get promoted. You get blamed for things you don't do and berated in front of other people and then when they find out it wasn't your fault, it's like nothing ever happened. They talk about people behind their backs as if they were in high school and treat their employees horrible. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!

The only advice I have is to fire all management, fire the worthless employees who come in for overtime and do nothing but sit there, and act as respectable companies do. JUST GROW UP!

Stress-free interview

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Although some days the hours can be long, there is no pressure to get in early the next day. The benefits are great.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much room for advancement.

Spend a little time each day getting to know your staff.

Quality Assurance Analyst

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at SGK as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very nice QA team, highly professional business managers and developers, environment conducive high performance

Cons

My contract was finished in 1,5 years.

Definitley room for improvement

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and evironment to work in.

Cons

Office and managment has become very political. Resource management is not handled well. Work to personal life balance is non existent

Take note of staff who make a positive contribution to the company. Review middle management's abilities and decisions.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at SGK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people. Job was fun. Worked with great talent.

Cons

Compensation. "Merit" increases do not match what you hear in reviews. Management has said that "you have hit your cap for salary, do not expect any more increases unless you change positions." Why risk loosing an employee who is good at their job and enjoys their job.

Match the merit increase to the review. There is no incentive to work for this company. They are going to start to loose clients to their biggest competitor due to the loss of good talent if they continue this way. Don't throw 60 years of business in our face thanking employees for getting you there. Your actions speak louder than words. Show your appreciation in ways that count if you want another 60 years.

Creative, fast paced environment

I have been working at SGK full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Much freedom to be a self-directed individual. Very easy to have dialogue with management and implement changes if needed. Colleagues are fun, intelligent, and hard-working.

Cons

Sometimes lack of direction, and communication. Often untrained in area of need, but expected to learn very quickly in a different discipline. Corporate is becoming increasingly like "Big Brother" requiring tests for salary reviews, and goal making to actually receive one. Very low morale concerning salaries and reinforcements- there none, which is discouraging after many lay offs.

Appreciate your workers. Give them credit for making things run smoothly instead of farming it all to China and India. There is a big discrepancy in salary among some positions: we all work equally as hard to achieve our goals, salary should reflect that.

They will suck the life out of you, then let you go!!

Former Employee - Prepress Operator in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Prepress Operator in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at SGK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers some of the best people around.

Cons

All levels of management at this location have no people skills. Work being sent overseas, customers like SC Johnson don't know this. Layoffs all the time, they don't bother to reassign you or offer a different job, just slash workforce so management can get a bonus.

Running this company into the ground, as soon as Clarence W. Schawk dies, David is selling, if he doesn't go out of business first.

From LA to the 80's and back

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SGK as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of rooftop parking, flexible hours, plenty of water coolers, left alone to get work done, teamwork driven at times, the employees are friendly, which is weird cause most places treat freelancers like they are lepers. The location is questionable, but I like that its on this side of the 5 freeway.
    They use a payment system that they immediately set you up with and they pay you quickly, within a week.
    I come in, get my 8 hours, and get to go home. I love it.

Cons

Lighting by florescence, 80's drab layout. Weird small little pockets of offices and quite possibly a death trap if you don't know how to get out quickly. No one ever told me there was a kitchen till I was there for a month.

You're kind of brought in, left at your desk with work, then your on your own...how to get out, how to set up files, where to put them, how to get on the server, etc etc. I just recently figured out which printers are where.

There nearest place to eat is 5 min away by car, nothing good is walking distance.

There are like 5 different ways you have to log in your hours. kind of redundant.

Great job letting us do our work and explaining the job well. I never have to ask questions and even when its crazy and chaotic, they are calm and collected.

Bait and Switch?

Current Employee - Production Artist in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SGK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is such a scam, that I can not find a single positive thing to say about them.

Cons

This company is so cheap! They lure you in at a day rate that is very reasonable and then slash the pay once convert to full-time. They offer health insurance that is outrageously expensive and doesn't actually cover anything. Performance reviews that don't result in anything more than paperwork. They do not offer raises,! No cost of living increases! No advancement! This place obviously doesn't care about it's employees and it is obvious on a daily basis.

Provide your employees a competitive wage, health insurance that isn't a scam, cost of living increases, performance based raises and provide your employees with an intranet that works.

Schawk

Former Employee - Prepress Operator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Prepress Operator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SGK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

cutting edge equipment. Adapts to clients needs

Cons

subjected to seasonal layoffs. The Union.

get rid of the union