SGS

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros
  • I now speak and work with other affiliates around the world(in 4 reviews)

• Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonuses are only for upper management level, PTO is vacation only(in 6 reviews)

• No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview(in 5 reviews)

Assessor

Medical Device Auditor/Assessor (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally cooperative and friendly staff. Adequate training and an emphasis on safety that I had not seen at other companies. Best practices were shared.

ConsThere was lots of work and the pay was low. Delays in communication and some inaccurate work instructions / directives contributed to frustration. Due to recession, personal growth with the company was not encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize more training on dealing with customer issues.

Lifetime of experience everyday enjoy learning something new

Information Technology (Current Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsExpertise is people building skills, learning new challenging IT perspectives

ConsTravel so work life balance is off balance

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed time to enhance certificate programs to advance

Great company with strong growth ahead!

Supervisor (Current Employee) Geismar, LA

ProsAs stated, this is a great company to be with. There is plenty of growth ahead...locally and abroad. Pretty good work/life balance and the salary is good compared to the competition. If you're able to prove you're competent and capable (and patient), you'll move your way up in this company because the opportunity is there.

ConsThere are quite a few 'good ol boy' managers in place. These people were clearly promoted due to length of service instead of ability. Promotions should be given to those who are capable of doing the job regardless of tenure or age.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to retain the right workforce, you need to promote those who are capable of doing the best job, not those who have been with the company the longest

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I made a career of it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsPeople, freedom to learn, part of a winning team. The company does alot to make people feel like they belong to a team. They take everyone to the state fair, the whole lab goes to a rented out theater for a movie and pizza once a year, etc. We really come together as a team. You must be a team player to have fun and do a good work.

ConsWork can be challenging during the busy season.

Loader

Loader (Current Employee) Baytown, TX

ProsI would say I like how flexible they are with other things you have going on in your life. It is a very easy job, the hardest part about the job is dealing with the weather.

ConsThe biggest challenge about working at this job is getting paid more. At this job you basically get paid $17 for the same work that operators do and make $25 a hour at most places.

Dock Operators no chance to move up in the company

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe job its self it not bad its pretty easy. good group of guy to work with. Get to work outside.

ConsThe pay is low you have to put in 20 hrs of ot a week to get a good pay check which is easy to get if your short on staff. The pay is pretty much 17 you get a dollar rasie every yr for 3yrs then your max out unless you get a shift lead spot good luck on getting that.The 410k is the only good benefit all the others the deductibleis is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more chances to move up in the company maybe be doing this you will keep them for longer periods. Instead of training them and they go into the refinery so they can make more money for the same job.

Low morale, long hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsWork hours can be flexible as long as you meet deadlines. Lots of overtime available if you want it.

ConsOffice culture is rife with gossip and favoritism. General employee opinion of the job is negative, which can lead to a poor working atmosphere. Management does little to improve morale, instead reacting with hostility whenever negative opinions or attitudes are displayed. Management will accept any short deadline project for money regardless of existing workload and staffing. Poor work/life balance in the summer, where the workload can force you to almost live at work. Consistent good performers taken for granted, average performers who occasionally step up showered with praise, and poor performers ignored as long as someone else picks up the slack. Very little opportunity for advancement.

SGS is the world's largest company committed to certification, inspection and verification.

Finance & Accounting (Former Employee) Rutherford, NJ

ProsThe company offers very good benefits and an excellent 401K plan.

ConsThere is little room for growth or advancement.

Advice to Senior Managementthe management team should put in place a formal process for career advancement.

good if not interested in career advancement

ProsStable place to be as long as you're not a contractor
    Flexible as long as you get your work done

Consnot much for advancement
    Company not growing

Advice to Senior Managementmake time to listen to the people below

Decided to leave

Lab Technician (Former Employee)

ProsHours, pay ok (not completely satisfied), customer interaction

ConsManagement, attitude, skill level/competency of co-workers, QA issues

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut hours of your better employees and keep those due to personal treatment. It's weird to be hiring new salaried staff when you don't need their services. QA also needs a little more enforcing within the company.

Worked for SGS? Contribute to the Community!