SGS

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros
  • I now speak and work with other affiliates around the world(in 4 reviews)

• Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonuses are only for upper management level, PTO is vacation only(in 6 reviews)

• No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview(in 5 reviews)

SGS is a Great Company to Work For

Vice President of Business Development (Current Employee)

ProsGlobal opportunities - rewards employees who take initiative. I now speak and work with other affiliates around the world.

ConsLearning to adjust on how a big company makes decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep interviewing and hiring technical staff

Not what I expected at all

Key Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent compensation overall, good bonus (if it was humanly possible to hit the target), good direct manager, good technical direction from mothership

ConsUpper management out of touch with reality, lack of compliance from affiliates and overseas managers, over promising and under delivering, lack of technological resources, lots of manual reporting due to sad technology within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees. Sometimes the customer is crazy and not always right. Listen to the situation and help them. Don't leave them out in the cold to defend themselves. Push internally for more technology to be competitive with other labs. Your lack of engagement is embarrassing.

They tell you how to succeed! Who does that?

Support Staff (Current Employee)

ProsWe are encouraged to connect with our peers across the company. I have been introduced to folks in several countries and can't wait to visit or transfer. Looking at the company as a whole, I believe in the same ideals. We do important stuff around the world. I feel good about what we do and I want others to know too.

ConsA few people are afraid to tell management how to fix things. People ask me, "What is SGS?", everyday. No one knows who we are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people closest to the issue to fix it. Be creative on rewarding their input. Sometimes it's not about money. Sometimes people just want more control over their world, and trust you to have their back. Could we get more out to the USA about SGS. I want people to know we are bigger than IBM and been around since forever. Billboards, tv commercials like BASF. Black and orange, black and organge, everywhere please.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Quality Manager (Former Employee) Fairfield, NJ

ProsRelaxed environment, good culture and very nice system

ConsSilo mentality. People next cube had no idea who you are and what you do

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave things to the experts

Honest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot working there anymore. The amount of experience.

ConsManagement only listens to men. If you come in early and leave late daily you get written up for coming in late and leaving early. If you take the hour lunch that you are given you get written up for taking excessive lunches. You get scrutinized for following SOPs methods especially when it comes to calibration and verifying equipment. You get called sexist names behind your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the sexist pigs, stop taking clients/co-workers to strip clubs.

Chemist II Analyst

Chemist II Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsWhile working there I had run into people who were so stressed out, that end up yelling at me for no reason. I was a contractor, an outsider visiting the company, and I have to say that I did not feel very welcome.

ConsI was given the opportunity to do method development which allows me to grow with in my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to advise them to respond do not react to the issues brought up in the meeting. Your costumers are important but your employees matter too.

Endless Opportunities

ProsAnyone motivated and smart can find endless opportunities. You just have to be open minded and willing to take chances. Some roles provide an opportunity for travel.

ConsSometimes the decisions are reactionary instead of thinking long term. Travel can be rough on a young family.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize talent, allow for some risks, take advantage of the company's size in more creative ways.

Review

Global Key Account Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWorldwide reputation in most categories

ConsNeeds US exposure for particular categories

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop relationships with target customers

Assessor

Medical Device Auditor/Assessor (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally cooperative and friendly staff. Adequate training and an emphasis on safety that I had not seen at other companies. Best practices were shared.

ConsThere was lots of work and the pay was low. Delays in communication and some inaccurate work instructions / directives contributed to frustration. Due to recession, personal growth with the company was not encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize more training on dealing with customer issues.

Boss was demeaning

Auto Inspector (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsIntroduced to a New Career. Good Training.

ConsInadequate pay. Posted Job hours and actual hours differ dramatically. My worst experience with any company!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to you workers. Don't let personal feelings about employee's cloud your view of there work. Work with integrity.

Worked for SGS? Contribute to the Community!