SGS

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros
  • I now speak and work with other affiliates around the world(in 4 reviews)

• Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonuses are only for upper management level, PTO is vacation only(in 6 reviews)

• No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview(in 5 reviews)

Honest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot working there anymore. The amount of experience.

ConsManagement only listens to men. If you come in early and leave late daily you get written up for coming in late and leaving early. If you take the hour lunch that you are given you get written up for taking excessive lunches. You get scrutinized for following SOPs methods especially when it comes to calibration and verifying equipment. You get called sexist names behind your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the sexist pigs, stop taking clients/co-workers to strip clubs.

Chemist II Analyst

Chemist II Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsWhile working there I had run into people who were so stressed out, that end up yelling at me for no reason. I was a contractor, an outsider visiting the company, and I have to say that I did not feel very welcome.

ConsI was given the opportunity to do method development which allows me to grow with in my career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to advise them to respond do not react to the issues brought up in the meeting. Your costumers are important but your employees matter too.

Boss was demeaning

Auto Inspector (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsIntroduced to a New Career. Good Training.

ConsInadequate pay. Posted Job hours and actual hours differ dramatically. My worst experience with any company!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to you workers. Don't let personal feelings about employee's cloud your view of there work. Work with integrity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Place to Work

Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) Lakefield, ON (Canada)

ProsNone. There is nothing good to say about this company.

ConsBad management, management picks favorites, you are treated like a slave, impossible to get a raise. Terrible workplace morale.

Distasteful.

ProsIt's better than not having a job. The management will hardly acknowledge you, so you will have lots of time to search for new opportunities elsewhere. Keep your head down, don't mention any of the numerous inefficiencies, ignore the rampant politics, and you'll probably be able to stay employed until you find your new job. And I highly recommend that you do continue to look for a new job.

ConsHonestly, all of the reviews on here and Indeed are true. This company (Alberta especially) doesn't value quality - it's all about seniority and favouritism. Total lack of training, ethics and support. Don't expect any type of training or reliable communication from management - company has been restructured so all of the upper management employees have multiple roles causing massive problems with allocating proper attention to the operation of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe market is expanding and you WILL fail if you do not remain competitive, which you already are not. Not one other company charges overtime rates for three days a week and other companies actually have engineers onsite providing guidance to the technical staff (there is only one Employee that is actually a P. Eng in all of Alberta at SGS). If you were a contractor, would you hire the company that offers only two out of the ten services you need, charges more overtime than any of your competition do and sends a brand new tech (who may or may not know how to do their job/communicate in English well)? Grab the buckets cause your ship is going down fast.

Decided to leave

Lab Technician (Former Employee)

ProsHours, pay ok (not completely satisfied), customer interaction

ConsManagement, attitude, skill level/competency of co-workers, QA issues

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut hours of your better employees and keep those due to personal treatment. It's weird to be hiring new salaried staff when you don't need their services. QA also needs a little more enforcing within the company.

“The unprofessional company I have ever worked for...”

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

ProsOverall, the team members were very friendly and supportive of each other.

ConsMiss old jobs, loss of opportunities for the employees. No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview. Highly educated people are getting hired with a promise of training and development, however get thrown 'at a deep end' from day one, and refused any sort of external training. In addition, the quality of internal training is very poor. The only focus is on the actual revenue. Employees are bullied by managers, and are regarded as 'disposable'. As a result of this, the team morale is very low. People are simply unhappy, and given the right opportunity would leave SGS at any time....

Far too slow to adapt to quickly changing business environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease investigate closely the management style at SGS Saudi office. It is ironic that a company that specializes in social compliance does not treat their own employees fairly. Organisation filled with relatives...

Very high staff turnover due to unfair treatment and poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsOverall, the team members were very friendly and supportive of each other. Good location of the office in a close proximity to the main shopping center.

ConsMissold jobs, loss of opportunities for the employees. No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview. Highly educated people are getting hired with a promise of training and development, however get thrown 'at a deep end' from day one, and refused any sort of external training. In addition, the quality of internal training is very poor. The only focus is on the actual revenue. Employees are bullied by managers, and are regarded as 'disposable'. As a result of this, the team morale is very low. People are simply unhappy, and given the right opportunity would leave SGS at any time....

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease investigate closely the management style at SGS Ealing office. It is ironic that a company that specialises in social compliance does not treat their own employees fairly.

Automotive Field Inspector

Auto Inspector (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

Prosthere is really Nothing more to say about this Company Its All bad the only Way to make money is to travel working in another state making overtime. but you expense all food gas ext. To get reimbursed 4 weeks later. Not cool.

ConsPay,Travel,Supervisor,Job.there is really Nothing more to say about this Company Its All bad the only Way to make money is to travel working in another state making overtime. but you expense all food gas ext. To get reimbursed 4 weeks later. Not cool.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay More And Don't push for more work.

The worst company I have ever worked for...

Due Diligence Global (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood salary but that is about all :-(

ConsThe company culture is awful. They treat staff really badly. Do not work there!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to think of your staff as human beings. A system for staff to feedback would be useful.

Worked for SGS? Contribute to the Community!